Options
2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    leasy1 wrote: »
    Knitting is wonderful for relieving stress and anxiety while keeping your mind occupied and your hands busy. :)

Oh my I attempted knitting when I was pregnant, I am still to get to the 4th row. I'm just terrible at it but I suppose practice makes perfect.

There are lots of videos online to help you you with the basics. And if you use a nice chunky yarn and big needles you'll have yourself a scarf or a baby blanket in no time. :)

This was my suggestion also. Enjoy knitting and remember it doesn't have to be perfect and you will get better with time.

And if you screw up badly, you can always just rip it out and start over using the same yarn again. :)
  • leasy1
    leasy1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This would be the time to work on you. No distractions, so try to get in some physical fitness. Doesn't have to be crazy. Suspension training is affordable and doesn't require crazy home equipment that takes up space in your home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

OK for the sake of sounding really dim, what is suspension training? :#
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This would be the time to work on you. No distractions, so try to get in some physical fitness. Doesn't have to be crazy. Suspension training is affordable and doesn't require crazy home equipment that takes up space in your home.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff I'd like to hear more about suspension training as well. My mom has some stuff dangling from a beam in her barn ceiling but I doubt she'd be able to explain it to me.
  • leasy1
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff I'd like to hear more about suspension training as well. My mom has some stuff dangling from a beam in her barn ceiling but I doubt she'd be able to explain it to me.

I really am intrigued now. I don't have beams I can dangle things from.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Come here! There's always something educating or at least entertaining going on. Phone a friend works even better, but if no one's around, we are.

My phone is like my best friend, I moved 2 hours away from my family to be with my partner so I do chat with them but not for long, they have thier own lives to get on with.
    I have been on here and joined in with a few silly things but people seem to be quiet cliquey I felt like I was intruding, like the new kid at school.

How about volunteer work?

Also see if there is anything that interests you on MeetUp.com.
  • kshama2001
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I really am intrigued now. I don't have beams I can dangle things from.

He may be talking about something completely different, but it's what came to my mind :)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Come here! There's always something educating or at least entertaining going on. Phone a friend works even better, but if no one's around, we are.

My phone is like my best friend, I moved 2 hours away from my family to be with my partner so I do chat with them but not for long, they have thier own lives to get on with.
    I have been on here and joined in with a few silly things but people seem to be quiet cliquey I felt like I was intruding, like the new kid at school.

I was thinking volunteer work as well, but that might be problematic with a toddler in tow. :)
  • leasy1
    Options

I was thinking volunteer work as well, but that might be problematic with a toddler in tow. :)

It is difficult, I would work and meet people but with my partners working hours it is difficult, I would love to go to work, I have worked since 13 I am now 38.
    MeetUp.com? I have never heard of that, I live in the UK, is it an American site? Sorry if I sound really ignorant.
  • alpear
    alpear Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started listening to audiobooks, adult colouring books, drinking tea but I love the nail suggestion
  • leasy1
    Options
    I tried the colouring but got bored. Nails, knitting and walking I think are the ways to go. Thank you all for your advice :)
  • kshama2001
    Options

It is difficult, I would work and meet people but with my partners working hours it is difficult, I would love to go to work, I have worked since 13 I am now 38.
    MeetUp.com? I have never heard of that, I live in the UK, is it an American site? Sorry if I sound really ignorant.

I'm in the US, but try meetup.com and see if it is available in the UK as well.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Speaking of the UK, I have just discovered the British Baking Show and am loving it! Take up baking, and give most of it away at charity events. You'll make friends fast ;)
  • leasy1
    Options
    Jeez I haven't baked since I was pregnant with my 1st, 24 years ago, I put on 6 stone (84lb) but that's a good idea. I really would make a lot of friends and I would be busy, excellent plan :)
  • evonatron
    evonatron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about getting out of the house for a few hours? My sister has a 17 month old as well and they get up and if it is dry they walk to the nearest shops/park etc and she spends a few hours out of the house to break up the day.
  • leasy1
    Options
    evonatron wrote: »
    What about getting out of the house for a few hours? My sister has a 17 month old as well and they get up and if it is dry they walk to the nearest shops/park etc and she spends a few hours out of the house to break up the day.

I used to walk everywhere before I moved, I just uses the car for work but here I don't know seems different, there isn't anywhere really to walk to. It's all streets and roads I'm used to greenery, fields and open spaces. I just don't like it here to be honest and it puts me off, I know that's so stupid.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    evonatron wrote: »

I used to walk everywhere before I moved, I just uses the car for work but here I don't know seems different, there isn't anywhere really to walk to. It's all streets and roads I'm used to greenery, fields and open spaces. I just don't like it here to be honest and it puts me off, I know that's so stupid.

It's not stupid at all. You're out of your comfort zone, and from the sounds of it you spend a lot of time alone with your toddler while your partner works.

Make a plan to just try one new thing a week. Like walking to a certain park. Maybe there'll be no one there that you click with and can start up a conversation with that particular day, but you won't know until you go.

You just have to make the decision to put yourself in situations where the friendships and related activities can occur. ;)