Quitting pop.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I hate fake sugar and all those no calorie "waters", so it's good that you like unsweetened tea. I'd say you just gotta set your mind to no pop and make it happen!

Why is "waters" in quotes? It's water...it's just bubbly...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    ataraxial wrote: »
    I'd rather stick to tea.. but it doesn't make me want a pop any less.

I switched to unsweetened tea, too. Took me 2 weeks without soda, and the cravings were mostly gone.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    You can get non aspartame diet pop. I've gotten Zevia which is sweetened with stevia...all the flavours kind of taste the same but at least it's fizzy and sweet
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    I LOATHE diet soda. I think it tastes terrible!

You will get used to it. I swear.
  • thomasegbert09
    thomasegbert09 Posts: 59 Member
    I used to love Mountain Dew. I stopped drinking soda and do not like it. I can taste the high fructose corn syrup. Try not drinking it for a month and you will see it is too sweet.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Coke zero for life.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Update! One week off pop and minimal cravings!

Great job! Keep up the good work!
    Some day soon you'll be in here telling everyone how you did it!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Two choices (if diet isn't an option)

1. Cut it out
    2. Make it fit in your calories for the day

that part,
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Diet soda, soda stream and they have some low calories flavors. Water and lemon slices!
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    I drink seltzer water. For me, the need for soda was the fizz. You could get a soda stream, get a generic mt dew and add only a little of the flavor?
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Could you mix diet and regular as a gateway to diet?
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    I used ice tea and lemonade (arnold palmers) to wean myself off the caffeine and sugar. It will get easier with time, once its out of your system for a while you won't crave it as much. I agree with the other poster that reserving it for special occasions give you the mental break of knowing it isn't gone forever.
  • taysukidesu
    taysukidesu Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2017
    The thing that finally broke the habit for me was switching to tea. Specifically, Lipton Diet Green Tea with cirtus.

This made me laugh out loud. My mom was so addicted to Diet Coke, she once went BLIND from withdrawals because the conference she was at had no vending machines and she forgot to bring her own, and this is exactly how she kicked soda. She likes the berry flavor.
    (Her vision returned within 15 minutes after someone found her a soda to drink. She says it was a huge awakening to how bad of a problem she had with soda.)

Obviously, I inherited the Diet Coke addiction, but I largely kicked it by switching to straight tea (I live in Japan, so it's free everywhere) and black coffee for really rough mornings. I find the fizz/cooling sensation is what makes me like Coke so much--it definitely is relaxing!
    I used to backslide constantly, but after 6 months of actively avoiding soda, I was able to have one occasionally with a meal and not completely fall off the bus.
    (It also definitely helps when you have to pay $3.50-5.00 per soft drink and there are no free refills at restaurants.)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    The thing that finally broke the habit for me was switching to tea. Specifically, Lipton Diet Green Tea with cirtus.

This made me laugh out loud. My mom was so addicted to Diet Coke, she once went BLIND from withdrawals because the conference she was at had no vending machines and she forgot to bring her own, and this is exactly how she kicked soda. She likes the berry flavor.
    (Her vision returned within 15 minutes after someone found her a soda to drink. She says it was a huge awakening to how bad of a problem she had with soda.)

Obviously, I inherited the Diet Coke addiction, but I largely kicked it by switching to straight tea (I live in Japan, so it's free everywhere) and black coffee for really rough mornings. I find the fizz/cooling sensation is what makes me like Coke so much--it definitely is relaxing!
    I used to backslide constantly, but after 6 months of actively avoiding soda, I was able to have one occasionally with a meal and not completely fall off the bus.
    (It also definitely helps when you have to pay $3.50-5.00 per soft drink and there are no free refills at restaurants.)

I don't believe the vision thing.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I'd like to know the biological mechanism that makes you blind in all caps from withdrawal of non-addictive substances.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Mello Yellow Zero. The stuff is better than regular Mountain Dew ever was, lacking the metallic aftertaste that leads to compulsive over-drinking.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I'd like to know the biological mechanism that makes you blind in all caps from withdrawal of non-addictive substances.

If you want my guess, she suffered from migraine headaches which were kept at bay by caffeine.
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Zevia is amazing! Zero calories and all natural. You can get it at Wholefoods or online.

I don't even care for soda, but it's helping me avoid cake and ice cream lol :#
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I went for a long time saying I wouldn't drink diet sodas, but then I started drinking them when I went on a diet. Now it is rare that I drink a regular soda because they are too sweet and they feel heavy after I drink them.