Who has eaten at the Times Square Olive Garden and why?

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
So I'm thinking of going to New York City to visit the Times Square Olive Garden. I think the Olive Garden is probably the best Italian food I've ever had and try to go to one in every city I go to. I would make a special trip just for this one.
  • What are some highlights to your visit to the Times Square Olive Garden?
  • Was it as magical as it seems?
  • How many times have you been there?
  • Do they have souvenirs there?
  • What are some tips or tricks you learned while eating there?
  • Have you ever run out of bread sticks?
  • Any additional advice?

0hd3myldglbo.jpg

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way but with Hard Rock Cafe's. If I'm a city that has one, I'm going.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Lol. Oddly enough, I have. I think we did it because my parents were visiting and it was familiar to them.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I really hope you're joking! If the Italian food at Olive Garden is the best you've had then it's time to try some authentic Italian places, many of which can be found in NYC.

However, given the tone of this board, I probably missed something in reference to the Olive Garden and I'm completely off base. If so, don't mind me. Carry on.

I know im just thinking uh oh what did I miss? :D:D
  • cee134
    Options
    Why do people think they are missing anything? I thought I was very clear and concise about my post. Was I not?
  • cee134
    Options
    Lol. Oddly enough, I have. I think we did it because my parents were visiting and it was familiar to them.

What was it like. Was it as good as I've heard? How would you rate it to other Olive Gardens?
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Why do people think they are missing anything? I thought I was very clear and concise about my post. Was I not?

So many posts have a double meaning, some people may get lost when someone is actually legit with their questions.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada - and OG left Canada many decades ago. I have been to the Times Square OG and it is magical. There is often a line of people waiting, and they give you a magical disk that lights up when you're table is ready. Then you order "Tour of Italy" and feel as if you have just come back from Italy but still in Manhattan (like 2 vacays in one). Then you eat unlimited salad and bread sticks too... seriously, it magically will not stop... it keeps coming... like a sea of salad and bread. Then you see Times Square because as someone who only goes there once every couple of years, it's pretty cool to see, and signals you have arrived in NYC!

Seriously we do sometimes go there, especially if arriving late into the city and are tired and don't want to think. It's cool to see Times Square, and because we're from Canada, always fun to go to Olive Garden! :)

Never bought souvenirs there. No real tips and tricks - order what you want. Although I mentioned it, Tour of Italy disappoints - it sounds good on paper. Don't fill up on the breadsticks. Their salad is delish. I used to buy a bottle of dressing (it comes in a cool bottle), but can get it at Costco now (the bottle is not cool)! 40 cals per tablespoon, and it's a really good italian dressing.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If this is a joke, then I missed it because I am going to give a honest critique of the OG in Times Square. Here it goes: We went in October and the food was top notch Olive Garden and the best Olive Garden I have ever had. So if you are a fan of the OG, you will not be disappointed. The place was clean and the staff was friendly. Our service was sufficient considering how crowded it was. There were literally people sitting on the floor because the place was so packed. There were a few downsides 1) we had to wait forever, the restaurant is in the most touristy part of times square, so those folks who aren't really feeling adventurous flock there because it is familiar. 2) Your tour of Italy will be $39.99 - well not really but by the time you add taxes and the increased price points, you will be close. If you feel like venturing into something a little different, NYC has some of the best food in the Country. This would be a great time to step into adventure and try a little family owned Italian place. Your hotel can probably give you some great suggestions. But if OG is your thing, go for it!! I loved it. We were celebrating my sister's birthday and OG was specifically what she requested so that is why we went. But I would be down for something a little more authentic.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've never been, but according to commercials prices may be higher in Alaska and the times square og.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sure, go to the Olive Garden if you like their food or have a thing about Olive Gardens. I've driven to Cawker City KS and Darwin MN to see two different World's Largest Balls of Twine. I hear there's a third World's Largest Ball of Twine in Texas but I haven't seen it yet. And, yes, I'm serious. Just ask my friends who've seen the pictures.

Do not mistake the OG for real Italian food or even real New York style Sicilian/Neapolitan-ish food. If you were to find yourself in Italy, you'd be hard pressed to find Olive Garden type food outside tourist destinations catering to Americans.

If I were headed to the City and I wanted to have a good Italian meal, not having lived here for quite a few years, the first thing I'd do is read Yelp reviews of restaurants in Little Italy. Here's a link. https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Little+Italy+Restaurants&find_loc=New+York,+NY The VERY LAST THING I WOULD DO is go to the Olive Garden, but that's me!

If I were stuck in the Times Square/Mid-town area, I'd look at Yelp reviews for restaurants in the vicinity but not on Times Square. Times Square restaurants are catering to tourists and specialize in sucking money out of their wallets for mediocre food.

There's so much great food in New York, why get something you can get in your home town?

• browneyedgirl749
    Options
    I didn't even realize that the OG in Times Square was apparently a huge deal until this thread. I thought it would be like any other OG, which is why I chose not to eat there. I opted for this super good pizza place a couple blocks over.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Haha
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to admit I ate there with my Hubby and daughter this past December. My suggestion - go somewhere else. ANYWHERE else! Service was sssllllowww - and there's so many better restaurants in the area if you're looking for Italian food!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's terribly expensive there

Cheaper than flying to Italy.
  • HooperDrivesTheBoatChief
    Options
    I walked right past it while I was there just like I drive right past it every time in my own town because it is garbage Italian food. They have the best Italian food like Tacobell has the best Mexican food. Do yourself a favor, especially while you're that close to Little Italy, and get some authentic Italian.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    IL vaga bondo on the upper east side is okay.... at least it used to be.

62 street (?) 2nd ave.... ish