Let me hear your well intended healthy recipe FAILS

abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
Laughter is the best medicine and sometimes when we try our hardest to make something great, it's good to laugh when it comes out a flaming hot mess.

Yesterday I made my staple summer zucchini bread but I tweaked it a bit to make it heather. The problem was, I went overboard with the tweaking. I cut the sugar in half, then half again and substituted part with stevia. I intended to cut out the oil and eggs and replace with applesauce except at the last minute I still put in the eggs out of habit. I didn't have enough zucchini so I threw in a ripe banana. Zucchini and banana bread are similar, right? I reduced the flour and plopped in some protein powder. To top it off, my 5 year old threw some sprinkles at it.

The result, FLAMING HOT MUSH MESS- green, with a faint smell of banana, and of course, sprinkles.

Replies

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Every single time I experiment with trying to make low calorie brownies, I end up throwing them away. Last time I tried a can of pumpkin, half cup of self rising cake flour, an egg, some applesauce, and 30g cocoa. It had the consistency of wet dog poop even when cooled. Right in the trash it went.

There is no such thing as a healthy or low calorie brownie unless you are buying fitcrunch or lenny/larry brownies. I give up.

Have you tried high protein brownies? (black beans brownies). They work for me.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    I tried to make a cheesecake that used yogurt. It was okay but texture wasn't what I hoped for.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't veer too far from my known ways of preparing things just to make them healthier because I know they just won't satisfy me the same. Most of my adventures have to do with being out of something and using something else to substitute. I woke up wanting rice pudding and was out of rice. It was too early to go out and buy some so I decided to use barley without doing anything about the fact that barley is not as starchy as rice. I could have added cornstarch but the coffee had not yet warmed up my engines. Needless to say I ended up with sweet barley soup in milk with all the barley in the bottom. I salvaged it by refrigerating it and adding weetabix for weetabix and barley cereal. It was good, as good as weetabix gets, but it was no rice pudding.
  • coralred1965
    coralred1965 Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2017
    I make my own protein bars and always use oats. But I thought I'd give coconut flour a go. I didn't follow a recipie (I thought I was being clever).
    Big mistake. They turned out like pink piles of sawdust. (I'd added Strawberries to the mix). I couldn't make them more palatable without adding more fat and sugar in the form of peanut butter and Agave nectar to bind them together. I didnt want to add any more calories or fats to a recipie which had coconut oil and flour. So I threw the lot in the bin
    Expensive mistake as I'd used protein powder too.