Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What would be the point in your mind?

How long are you thinking?

I personally think there's no diet reason to do it (I think it's more likely to be counterproductive) or "reset" reason. If there might be some other benefit to a short term fast for you? Dunno, but not really about fitness or diet, IMO.

My experience, I've done full day fasts on occasion on religious fast days (the way we do them these days, a full fast is not required, but may encouraged if you want to) and I think that can be fine, even beneficial, depending on the point, but I think it's a really bad idea to encourage it as an approach to weight loss.

How did I feel? Like I missed food, but it wasn't horrible or anything (like I said, short term, nothing from dinner to breakfast the day after). I think there can be some benefits to becoming conscious of a lack or various other spiritual elements. There was no amazingness or severe hardship, and it made 0 difference to how I wanted to eat afterwards.

My husband does a 36 hour 'famine' every year as part of a church thing, and his experiences have been similar to yours-the worst thing for him was that caffeine is not allowed and that's really rough for him-the first thing he did coming off of the last one was chug 2 cans of diet Mountain Dew :p

OP, I've done various IF protocols and back during my weight loss phase I did ADF, and rotated between maintenance calorie level days and then very low calorie days (under 500 calories). Going through that definitely taught me what true hunger really was vs eating for other reasons. Also, a common discussion on the ADF forum I hung out on was the spiritual aspect that happened a lot, but I never experienced anything like that. I also never went a complete day without at lease a few hundred calories and I ALWAYS hit maintenance or even higher calories the next day.

edit: grammar
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    dp
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    is there any real difference between a 24 hour water fast and folks who do one meal a day, assuming they eat their one meal 24 hours apart?

I have fasted for yom kippur--I don't miss the food but the morning coffee with milk is a bummer. I can't say I've felt cleansed or anything after, but I certainly did enjoy breaking the fast.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The only time you should water fast is under the supervision of a medical professional and because they require you to do it. Yes there's a bunch of people claiming all these magical benefits but there isn't any real science behind any of it to back it up. Doing it for a day or 2 might be fine but I'm not your GP.

I've done a different type of fasting before, 5:2. I actually had really good results with it and I found it was sustainable. There's many ways you can go about reducing calories if your goal is to lose weight or if it's to feel better or be healthier and there are many groups with great information. Just have a look around and you might find something that suits your needs.

Good luck =)
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I often do Intermittent Fasting 16/8. It's not to "reset" anything, but it helps keep my calories low. Basically, I skip breakfast. There are many threads on MFP about it if you're interested.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have water fasted for 24-48 hours for spiritual reasons. I wouldn't do it because of some diet industry woo though...