Are carbs bad for my diet?

Options

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Carbs are problematic for some health issues or if you tend to binge on carbs - a lot of people. If this does not apply to you, you are probably fine with carbs

This is the correct answer.

We can't tell you if you should cut down on carbs. But you can try it, do it for a month, stay under 50g net carbs for one month. At the end of the month, you will know if it's something you want to continue with, trust me.

And, if it doesn't work for you, keep trying different things. Finding what works for you in particular is a huge part of living a healthy life. Something will click for you eventually.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I should also say I was tested for everything before trying this diet because I couldn't get answers on my weight gain or inability to lose based on what I was eating.

were you previously using a food scale and tracking/logging all your food?

Yup. I was obsessive. LOL.

like I said..you either had some kind of medical condition, or you were eating more than you thought...low carb is not magic, you are either consuming less, or not...

Doubt I had anything medical I had a full work up because I was convinced I had Hashimoto because I had all the symptoms. I feel this has just worked with me. Everybody's bodies respond differently to things. My body never did well with carbs but I refused to accept it. I am at a point where I wanted to explore every option before figuring I am in my 40s and the game is over. I envy people who can do different things and lose weight. Its not easy but it is worth it to me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ewebbw wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in good shape already! 5'5 and 125 pounds. I lift and have started doing more cardio but wanted to challenge myself to see if I could get more muscle definition in my abs and arms. Thanks everyone!

At your stats if you don't already have muscle definition it is because you need to build muscle, not because you need to focus on losing fat. You aren't going to build any muscle at 1600 calories. You're just going to spin your wheels.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm in good shape already! 5'5 and 125 pounds. I lift and have started doing more cardio but wanted to challenge myself to see if I could get more muscle definition in my abs and arms. Thanks everyone!

Sounds like you have no particular need to keep them below 120, although for some people (including me) that can make it easier to keep a deficit. If the goal is muscle building, in part, carbs can be helpful. If you are already really lean cutting carbs can lead to water losses and so you make be able to see muscle definition more (as with fitness models) but that's for competition, not part of the muscle building/fat loss process.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Whatever is going to be sustainable for you in the long run is what I'd recommend you do. If it's low carb, moderate carb, high carb or a mix.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    Carbs are problematic for some health issues or if you tend to binge on carbs - a lot of people. If this does not apply to you, you are probably fine with carbs

We can't tell you if you should cut down on carbs. But you can try it, do it for a month, stay under 50g net carbs for one month. At the end of the month, you will know if it's something you want to continue with, trust me.

And, if it doesn't work for you, keep trying different things. Finding what works for you in particular is a huge part of living a healthy life. Something will click for you eventually.

actually it is not...people binge on plenty of other things than just carbs....

and good luck maintaining energy for a structured lifting program and cardio on 50 net carbs a day...

Actually it is, it's so true it's basically a tautology. She basically just said that, if you have a problem binging on carbs, then carbs are problematic for you. That doesn't imply that people don't binge on other things.
  • SkyBlackFitness
    SkyBlackFitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No! Your brain runs on carbohydrates, and you'd actually feel quite weak without them as they're the main source of energy for the body. It kinda depends on what carbs you're eating more than how much.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    No! Your brain runs on carbohydrates, and you'd actually feel quite weak without them as they're the main source of energy for the body. It kinda depends on what carbs you're eating more than how much.

then explain the keto diet?the body doesnt run on carbs it runs on ketones which is produced by eating high fat becaue the body cant run on carbs.carbs are not the only main source it can run on.
  • TerrieJohnston1
    TerrieJohnston1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone try crossfit with their work out of days you tone yourself in no time.
  • ewebbw
    ewebbw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a "two pack" or "four pack" going on right now but I'm so frustrated that bottom two abs won't peak out so I've tried the low carbs. But if calories is all that I need to focus on (as well as training) then that makes my taste buds a little happier. Another question- say my calorie goal is 1600 but I burn 500 at the gym- should I eat 2100 calories that day or still stick to the 1600 or does it not matter?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a "two pack" or "four pack" going on right now but I'm so frustrated that bottom two abs won't peak out so I've tried the low carbs. But if calories is all that I need to focus on (as well as training) then that makes my taste buds a little happier. Another question- say my calorie goal is 1600 but I burn 500 at the gym- should I eat 2100 calories that day or still stick to the 1600 or does it not matter?

are you using MFP method or TDEE method?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you want to tone try crossfit with their work out of days you tone yourself in no time.

crossfit has nothing to do with toning yourself any more than a structured regimen will....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Low carb may make the last 2 peek out but it will be due to water weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options

and good luck maintaining energy for a structured lifting program and cardio on 50 net carbs a day...

Actually it is, it's so true it's basically a tautology. She basically just said that, if you have a problem binging on carbs, then carbs are problematic for you. That doesn't imply that people don't binge on other things.

re-read it and get back to me..

you skipped the part where it was assumed that a lot of people binge on carbs..
  • 100catscrazy
    100catscrazy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never had a problem with carbs until I became diabetic. Too many carbs and wow, my blood sugar goes through the roof.

I'd say if you've no health issues, do whatever feels best for you. Your mileage may vary. Go with what feels best for your body.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

re-read it and get back to me..

you skipped the part where it was assumed that a lot of people binge on carbs..

A lot of people do binge on carbs. A lot of people find we don't binge on anything but carbs. If we cut out carbs, we don't binge. Hence why a lot of people are finding success on keto.