3500 mg Potassium in 1200 calories? Diet suggestions?

Options
13»

Replies

• lesleytaylor555
    lesleytaylor555 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was skeptical about getting potassium through diet and what research this # is based on. And bear in mind we're talking averages, likely based on 2000 cal/day. If you're below average weight/height there may be a difference. So, 3500mg is based on what the researchers tested for. They didn't test 2500, for example, so we don't know if that would be just as effective.

I started wondering about this when I thought I'd have to eat a can of beans and 5 bananas a day. :# I'm trying to get all nutrients on 1500 cal/day. It's challenging, but sort of fun. :)
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have a lot of potassium.
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1800 and my Potassium goal is 4700mg. Spinach is loaded and one of my favorite, someone mentioned potatoes, especially sweet potatoes, beans, oranges. Greek non fat yogurt, tomatoes.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I am also tracking Potassium, I usually have to check if Potassium is listed in the nutritional info though to get anything accurate. Today I hit 4,000 mg on my 1,200 cals.

For lunch I had 0.8 cup white beans, 1/4 cup chickpeas, 2 tomatoes, 1 cup of stir-fried cabbage - so came in at over 2,500mg.

For dinner I made a cabbage/tomato/dahl dish for nearly 1000 mg potassium and under 300 cals

I also had a cup of watermelon, a couple of coffees and 2 brazil nuts.

On days I have lots of legumes - very common, lots of cups of greens, well especially cabbage, - also very common, then when you add some tomatoes / other veggies / some fruits - on those days I am hitting my nutrients across the board for 1,200 cals. (I am not a fan of supplements)

But today I was 1,100 on the above foods, and then I had a slice of carrot cake - I tracked that as 0 potassium although I used a lot of carrots! - so actually today I was at 1250! Ooops ... that cake.
  • anewell28
    anewell28 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just take Potassium tablets, ill take about 400-500mg to balance out the sodium I've consumed throughout the day. I tend to retain water a lot, and taking the potassium has helped with reducing that.
  • rocknrobin65
    rocknrobin65 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Regular plain yogurt (not the Greek stuff) has an impressive 573 mg of potassium per cup. Plus, it packs nearly half your daily calcium needs.

My potassium goal is 4,700 because I consume a lot of sodium (Keto). In addition to plain yogurt - beets, chard, spinach, butternut squash are all higher in potassium than bananas.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Turkey breasts.