Cutting down to 1800 calories a day and but I am so hungry all the time

Options
I have recently cut down to 1800 to 2000 calories a day and I have been constantly hungry since I made the change. I have been drinking lots of water to try to help but there is still a constant feeling of hunger. How much protein should I be eating? Maybe I don't have enough. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Try playing around with your macro intake. See if carbs, fats or proteins fill you up better. If it turns out that one of them does, modify your diet to make sure you hit that macro.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat and preotein?
  • maripanda
    maripanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are you doing lots of exercise but not including that in your calorie count?
  • briana_aka_bunny
    briana_aka_bunny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It may just take your body some adjusting. You could increase protein. I always felt hungry the first time i cut down to 1200 calories. But you just have to find your balance.
  • koburd
    koburd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been trying to cut to 1500 a day. It SUCKS for the first two or three weeks but once your body gets used to it and starts regulating your blood sugar and metabolism you'll start feeling a lot better. Hunger will still be there, not gonna lie to you, but it's infinitely more manageable. Just let your body adjust.
  • tdavis1994
    tdavis1994 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently have it set for 30 percent of my diet is protein. I am 322 pounds and looking to get down to 185 ultimately but my first goal is 300.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's enough cals. What does MFP say you should eat to lose at 2lbs per week?
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating less frequent meals? So when I was trying to eat 1400 calories a day, I would eat 3-4 small meals and snacks all day long because I was so hungry all the time! That meant I was only eating roughly 300-400 calorie meals plus the extras for small snacks. This kept me craving food constantly. No matter howuch protein, fats I was eating. (Keto Diet) So when I fasted and ate two bigger meals, I was much more satiated. 700 calorie meals were more doable and I didn't need to snack. After that I tried eating all my calories in one meal- it was the best I've ever had! Full all day, feeling so content! So try having bigger meals less frequently, it may work for you as it did for me.
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What are you eating on a typical day?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What's your height, sex and activity level? How are you measuring your intake? Were you losing weight on 2000 calories? At what rate? What does your typical food intake look like?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    If you are 322 lbs, maybe 2000 is just sustainable for you. You should be on a significant deficit at 2000, maybe try adding in a couple short walks a day to make up the deficit instead?
  • JonMacFit
    JonMacFit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    tdavis1994 wrote: »
    I am currently have it set for 30 percent of my diet is protein. I am 322 pounds and looking to get down to 185 ultimately but my first goal is 300.

I started off at the same weight just over a month ago and found I could drop to 1400-1800 calories per day just by increasing my protein intake and filling up on veggies later in the day with my evening meal. It might not be the same for you but I was never at the point of being hungry as I could use protein shakes to "snack" between meals. Keep it up and you will see the benefits :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Eat more. I ate 1800 calories to lose weight when I was half your weight. I understand the urge to cut calories significantly in order to lose faster but it makes the weight loss process unnecessarily uncomfortable. You truly do not need to cut your calories that low. Go back and read @highlightshadow 's post.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Eat more. I ate 1800 calories to lose weight when I was half your weight. I understand the urge to cut calories significantly in order to lose faster but it makes the weight loss process unnecessarily uncomfortable. You truly do not need to cut your calories that low. Go back and read @highlightshadow 's post.

Totally agree. Sometimes you just have to increase to be more comfortable. You can't go very far on any diet if you are miserable everyday! I'd rather lose slowly but be happier than lose fast but end up quitting because it's just not sustainable.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I recommend trying something like Whole30, just for a month. You can still track and log, but it'll force you to step outside your comfort zone, research new meals, cook (a lot) and incorporate a lot more veggies into your diet. When when I went "back" and started reintroducing old favorites, my wife and I had a whole new repertoire of healthy, go-to dishes (lamb burgers w/o bun and sweet potato fries, almond chicken, cucumber salads, quinoa patties) that are delicious, decently-low calorie and totally fill me up.

My personal experience: I was hungry at first, but within a week or two I discovered through trial and error what was more satiating within my balance of meals. Pistachios (something I would've previously avoided for being so calorie high) do wonders for hunger in small amounts. Avocado <-- the same.

You don't have to subscribe to "clean eating" dogma -- but taking a few weeks to limit your pantry and discover new satiating options can be a fun and productive challenge and help w/ long-term goals.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm fast learning that unless I feel hungry at east once each day for a period of time, I'm not in caloric deficit.