I need more runners in my feed.

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Runner and triathlete in some order. Add me! I used to be more active here but my feed got boring. Training for Ironman Wisconsin in September so plenty of running right now
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    I run several times a week. Getting ready to start my training plan for my next half marathon in October. I love running outside, but the heat has been brutal! Feel free to add me
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Runner here! Tough running in Florida but I hate the treadmill and I also hate getting up early to run! Planning on doing my first marathon in February 2018. Terrified and excited all at once! Looking for tips regarding strength training, eating, general training guidelines... I plan on only running 3 days per week.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Calling me a runner might be pushing it, but I'm doing C25K--although I expect it to take me about twice the prescribed 9 weeks. I loved running when I was a kid, and when I'm not pushing my limits, I still think it's fun.

I'll probably never be very fast, and I'll probably never do a marathon, but maybe a 10k some day.
  • TabbyCat444
    TabbyCat444 Posts: 32 Member
    Just a casual runner here, I'm really just getting back in to it after years of being unfortunately sedentary. I'd forgotten the amazing feeling running brings me, I'd definitely love to connect with some other runners!
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    I run everyday, even took part in a few marathons. Feel free to add me. :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Runner here! Tough running in Florida but I hate the treadmill and I also hate getting up early to run! Planning on doing my first marathon in February 2018. Terrified and excited all at once! Looking for tips regarding strength training, eating, general training guidelines... I plan on only running 3 days per week.

I'm in FL too, it's definitely rough! It's either hot or it's lightening :neutral: and even when it's early it's hot!

I got some awesome running gear at the Columbia outlet, they are the moisture wick technology leggings and a white hooded zip-up jacket long sleeves (it's like papery material) and they seriously work! I actually come home completely dry and not dead hot after my runs now, and they have spf protection (the shirt is 40 even though it's white and light!). I normally buy cheap gear but seriously it's a night and day difference.
  • josiereside1

I'm in FL too, it's definitely rough! It's either hot or it's lightening :neutral: and even when it's early it's hot!

I got some awesome running gear at the Columbia outlet, they are the moisture wick technology leggings and a white hooded zip-up jacket long sleeves (it's like papery material) and they seriously work! I actually come home completely dry and not dead hot after my runs now, and they have spf protection (the shirt is 40 even though it's white and light!). I normally buy cheap gear but seriously it's a night and day difference.

What part of Florida are you ?? I am in Palmetto, Gulf Coast. I plan on doing the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon. I will look into that clothing!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    @josiereside1 I am in SE Florida treasure coast area. I'm doing the Treasure coast Halloween half in October :) you should add me!
  • josiereside1
    @josiereside1 I am in SE Florida treasure coast area. I'm doing the Treasure coast Halloween half in October :) you should add me!

how do you add here??
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    I finished C25K awhile ago and now I'm training for a trail 10K in September. I'm in California and it's hot here too so I tend to run when I can. I generally do one day a week for hill training and a couple of days of longer running (usually about 5K). I'll be trying to add more distance over the next couple of months.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I'm an old guy who likes running and triathlon. I'm working with a tri coach this year and really enjoy it. Did a first marathon in March, though my focus is half iron distance triathlons. Did a HaIf Iron in June, currently training for the Ironman 70.3 in Lake Placid in September. I'll switch to a heavier run focus after Lake Placid and probably do an open half marathon in October. Feel free to add if you like.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    I thought the 70.3 was the half iron?
  • Djproulx
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    I thought the 70.3 was the half iron?

Yes, you are correct. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Its a marketing thing by the owners of the Ironman brand. (Ironman 70.3 Lake Placid, Ironman 70.3 Timberman, etc.) A Half Iron distance triathlon (70.3 miles) includes a 13.1 mile run segment.

I also plan to run the Hartford Half Marathon in October. Really look forward running and racing in the fall, since the weather is usually great.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2017
    See I could definitely complete 70.3, but I'd struggle to stay under the cut off time because of the swim!

I also don't know how i'd handle the transition so that might slow me down too!

One day I'll definitely give a Tri a try.
  • Djproulx
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    See I could definitely complete 70.3, but I'd struggle to stay under the cut off time because of the swim!

I also don't know how i'd handle the transition so that might slow me down too!

One day I'll definitely give a Tri a try.

Your story is like many adult onset swimmers, including me. I started out at at 54 years old with no swim background. Since swimming is all about technique, it takes some time to learn. Once you get the form down, then its just like building run speed and endurance.
  • gammerforever
    gammerforever Posts: 2 Member
    How would everyone reccomend training for a marathon? I just recently lost almost 50lbs and I would like to start training for a marathon. To give everyone a perspective, I have gotten comfortable with running 5ks and can run a decent 10k. I haven't tried running a half marathon yet.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    How would everyone reccomend training for a marathon? I just recently lost almost 50lbs and I would like to start training for a marathon. To give everyone a perspective, I have gotten comfortable with running 5ks and can run a decent 10k. I haven't tried running a half marathon yet.

Start with a HM plan and run one first. Then move on to the full. This will give your body another 8-12 months to adapt to the distance. Find a good plan or better yet, join a local group and have fun.

Good luck.
  • Kida_Johnson
    Kida_Johnson Posts: 33 Member
    I run, mostly only on the weekends, but I run. Mostly obstacle races but also road, including a few half marathons. Feel free to add me.
  • josiereside1
    Got out a little earlier today to beat the Florida heat... about 2.75 with the dog and then finished up myself for a total of 5.25. A bit of walk/run for potty breaks... for the dog not me! and then just because it is hot I take a few short walk breaks... Hoping to finish out my week with a total of 15 in the books if not a little more... Depends what happens Friday night for a Saturday morning run! LOL! Us runners love our beer don't we! or margaritas, or....