Why am I not losing weight?

Options

Replies

• wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Guys thanks for the responses. I am eating 2300 calories a day now. But, I have plateaued long ago since May. No, I am not on an Atkins diet.
  • wally2wiki
    Options
    I am 30 and 6'1
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    Guys thanks for the responses. I am eating 2300 calories a day now. But, I have plateaued long ago since May. No, I am not on an Atkins diet.

Then the next- and only important- question is, how are you tracking your calories?
  • wally2wiki
    Options
    Well, I plan out my diet. I calculate my daily intake to about 2300/day. I eat "roughly" the same meals every day- and same amount--but I don't calorie count anymore.

By eating the same meals and amount every day--I track my calories.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I checked many BMR and maintenance calculators online and your BMR is 2380-2690 calories and maintenance is about 3500 as a sedentary person. Do you guys really think that he is overestimating his calories of a full 1000?

I personally don't weigh my foods anymore and base myself off of Tupperware volumes and cups/tablespoons and am losing weight but I'm aiming for under my BMR. If I did hit a plateau... I would go back to weighing once I put it on my plate, just to see if I was overestimating in the first place. If you do not want to weigh your foods forever, at least do this for a few days just to see if it's the problem.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    I checked many BMR and maintenance calculators online and your BMR is 2380-2690 calories and maintenance is about 3500 as a sedentary person. Do you guys really think that he is overestimating his calories of a full 1000?

I personally don't weigh my foods anymore and base myself off of Tupperware volumes and cups/tablespoons and am losing weight but I'm aiming for under my BMR. If I did hit a plateau... I would go back to weighing once I put it on my plate, just to see if I was overestimating in the first place. If you do not want to weigh your foods forever, at least do this for a few days just to see if it's the problem.

It took 9 months to lose 25lbs. I'd say the guesses have been way off from the start

This was my thought, too. And speaking for myself, when I was used to eating way too much food, I wasn't the best judge of portion sizes.

But still, OP, you've done a great job! Maybe just time to take it to the next level :)
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »

It took 9 months to lose 25lbs. I'd say the guesses have been way off from the start because at 330lbs it's relatively easy to get into a deficit. And at 3lbs per month losses, there was less than a 500 calorie per day deficit. It's really really easy to creep up those 400 calories when your intake is already around around 3000 calories per day. That's a serving of chips and a splash of oil/dressing/mayo too much. A slightly bigger than it should be serving of cheese. A large soda. Not so hard to add 400 calories to your day unwittingly.

I completely failed to even consider that first part! Yes, very true, I guess I believed the fact that he was weighing everything at the beginning but it may have only been for a month or two?
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP is considering the Atkins diet, a diet of nothing but protein and water. Apparently it works, if you can manage to endure it for any period of time, but the consequences of consuming nothing but protein might be a bit difficult to live with. Running a calorie deficit definitely sounds more sustainable.

Atkins is not nothing but protein and water. Some people may eat practically that way on a Very Low Carb Diet (VLCD)/carnivore diet, or perhaps a very extreme ketogenic diet. Neither is Atkins, either. What the Atkins diet is, is the only diet I know people have misunderstood and mischaracterized for 45 years and counting.