Why am I not losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What others have said - If you are not weighing your food (and especially if having anything calorie dense like oil or fatty meats) those calories can most definitely creep up.

Also- have you recalculated your target calories? BMR will go down as you lose weight, so unless you adjust your target calories every few pounds, the calorie deficit for your daily target calories will have decreased.
  • wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How do you really adjust your calories in my fitness pal?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    How do you really adjust your calories in my fitness pal?

Go to settings, diet & fitness profile, and update your current stats, activity level not including purposeful exercise, and weekly weight loss goal.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    Hey guys I found this great article on weight loss plateau.

Check it out : https://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Here is an excerpt:

The Weight Loss Plateau

Over time our bodies adapt to the lowered calorie level.

Our body becomes more efficient at using energy (lowered metabolism), and therefore burns less fat. This is why most of us reach a weight loss plateau.

At this point, the only option is to boost metabolism:

increased cardio,
    weight training,
    'cheat' meals (i.e. occasional high-calorie meals),
    cycling (or zig-zagging) calories,
    even manipulating macro-nutrient ratios can all help to do this (don't forget adequate sleep and hydration).
    You often find that the nearer you get to your goal weight (or body fat percentage) - the harder things get!

Continually dropping calories only serves to lower metabolism even further - the moment you return to 'normal' eating - the weight comes back on.

It certainly won't hurt you to kick your metabolism in the rear. When I hit a plateau, I spent a week doing tabata, and it made me feel better and more able to go on. I don't recommend tabata unless you are fairly fit already but you can add some higher intensity intervals to your workout.

However, I still think the issue is that you are underestimating your calories and need to eat less and measure more. It is very easy for a tablespoon of peanut butter to become three, over time.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If you are not weighing and logging all your food, start. If that does not work, see a doctor because somethng is wrong.
  • Elizabeethan
    Elizabeethan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello all ... when you say calorie deficit, do you mean you should exercise off the amount of calories you take in on a daily basis? Newbie here, trying to understand the terminology and methods. I need to lose 40, and am set up to eat 1200 calories a day. My job is sedentary, and due to a back injury, the most exercise I get is daily walks. Thanks for any/all input.
  • wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit means eating less than your maintenance calories. Whatever that is.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hello all ... when you say calorie deficit, do you mean you should exercise off the amount of calories you take in on a daily basis? Newbie here, trying to understand the terminology and methods. I need to lose 40, and am set up to eat 1200 calories a day. My job is sedentary, and due to a back injury, the most exercise I get is daily walks. Thanks for any/all input.

If your GOAL is 1200 a day then eat 1200 a day. That already includes your deficit. When you log your walk (which is great exercise) you can eat more because otherwise you are making your deficit larger than it needs to be. At 1200 calories you could skip the walk, do zero exercise and still lose weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Perhaps take some time to read the stickied threads - there is lots of helpful information that may answer lots of your questions

(you burn calories just living though!)
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options

The moment you logged in my fitness pall that you wanted to lose 2lbs/week , 1.5lbs per week, 1 lbs per week or 0.5lbs per week, it calculated a calorie deficit and told you to eat a certain amount. Eat that and you will be in a calorie deficit.
  • Elizabeethan
    Elizabeethan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and constructive advice. It's been 10 day and no loss yet, but hopefully soon. I'm really diligent about weighing and measuring, and limiting sugar (my Achilles heel).