Have seen a nutritionist for a year- basically no progress

Options

Replies

• halmsafit
    halmsafit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Instead of rum and coke. Rum and diet coke. Each drink may contain 1.5 oz of alcohol. Simply ask a bartender. Log them.
    You won't need a nutritionist once you get a food scale and learn how to use this site.

When I drink on weekends it's usually wine! I've never had a drink (besides a beer) at a bar or restaurant. But as a wine substitute I may try rum and diet coke! What are your thoughts on Pinnacle Whipped vodka with Sprite?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    halmsafit wrote: »
    Instead of rum and coke. Rum and diet coke. Each drink may contain 1.5 oz of alcohol. Simply ask a bartender. Log them.
    You won't need a nutritionist once you get a food scale and learn how to use this site.

When I drink on weekends it's usually wine! I've never had a drink (besides a beer) at a bar or restaurant. But as a wine substitute I may try rum and diet coke! What are your thoughts on Pinnacle Whipped vodka with Sprite?

Diet sprite would be better....no calories.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oops. I did not realize you were a wine drinker. Did you know a serving of whiskey is 1.5 oz and has the same number of calories as 5 oz of wine! About the same effect.
    Also, I have seen many people pass out when they first drink hard liquor.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A bottle of red/dry white wine is about 500 calories. I find that pretty easy to make room for across the week.......

But I don't drink often so it's not a big deal if I do drink more calorie heavy drinks.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In terms of logging when you're drinking, I wouldn't bring a scale to the bar (unless you really want to!) but I would recommend taking pictures of everything you eat and drink so you have a reference to log later and so you don't forget anything while drinking. For wine, it's easiest to track if you're referencing a bottle, but if you're doing by-the-glass, keep an eye on the size of pours. A generic glass of wine is 125 kcal for 5 oz, but a generous pour could be half again or even twice that.

I am sad to report that I eventually realized that I had to stop drinking wine except for special occasions and switched to cider. It's higher in calories than a lot of drinks, but I drink it much slower than wine.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No more guesstimating, you need to weigh and log everything. For me this is the only way to lose weight and be accountable. You can still have the "bad" foods, just log them and stay within your calorie goal. I thought I was making fairly healthy choices until I started logging and realized how many calories I was eating, I have an office job too which means I don't move much during the day and you have to really watch your intake unless you are exercising a TON. I am almost the exact same proportions as you and I have logged for 28 days now and have lost 5 lbs. It works if you are honest and stick with it.
  • halmsafit
    Options
    I just saw that Riunite Lambrusco is 98 valories per 8oz- would that be a healthier substitute for a wine? I think i can stick to less if I really think about it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I just saw that Riunite Lambrusco is 98 valories per 8oz- would that be a healthier substitute for a wine? I think i can stick to less if I really think about it.

Just because something has more calories doesn't mean it is less healthy. But if it's easier for you to fit into your calories, why not give it a try to see if you like it?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

That would be a pretty good compromise, especially if you're using a champagne flute (which is standard for Lambrusco in my experience), because they don't usually hold more than 6 oz.
  • meganw2020
    Options
    I just saw that Riunite Lambrusco is 98 valories per 8oz

That doesn't seem right, I looked and saw that was for a 3.3 oz portion. You can only go so low in calories on wine, it is what it is. You could do a wine spritzer and mix your favorite wine with sparking water (plain or flavored) or with diet soda and it would cut the calories a lot and you would still be able to enjoy the same amount.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    meganw2020 wrote: »

That doesn't seem right, I looked and saw that was for a 3.3 oz portion. You can only go so low in calories on wine, it is what it is. You could do a wine spritzer and mix your favorite wine with sparking water (plain or flavored) or with diet soda and it would cut the calories a lot and you would still be able to enjoy the same amount.

It looks like there's a bunch of conflicting information going around on this one. Livestrong thinks it's 98 kcal for a 5 oz serving? That makes the most sense to me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

You couldn't get me to drink Lambrusco unless it was the last drink on earth, or I might hurt my mum's feelings. Yes she proudly bought me a bottle once, that is how I know.

You may find this link interesting.
    http://winefolly.com/tutorial/guide-to-low-calorie-wine/

Cheers, h.
  • meganw2020
    Options

It looks like there's a bunch of conflicting information going around on this one. Livestrong thinks it's 98 kcal for a 5 oz serving? That makes the most sense to me.

Lambrusco (especially the Riunite) is a generally a sweet wine which is why I thought the 3 oz portion made sense, bottom line is that there is no way there is only 98 calories in 8 oz. But yes it can be very hard to find accurate information on calories in specific wines. It is not required by the industry to provide that information so many winemakers don't bother with it.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

You couldn't get me to drink Lambrusco unless it was the last drink on earth, or I might hurt my mum's feelings. Yes she proudly bought me a bottle once, that is how I know.

You may find this link interesting.
    http://winefolly.com/tutorial/guide-to-low-calorie-wine/

Cheers, h.

I remember sharing a bottle of Lambrusco with my friends when i was 12 :open_mouth: The taste and terrible aftermath has never left me, horrible, horrible stuff :confounded:

I hate the taste of ALL wine though, so my poison may be someone elses pleasure.
  • halmsafit
    Options

Wow I knew it was too good to be true! I actually saw those calories on mfp but could have misread the oz amount! Thank you for the mixing the wine tip! That's genius!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    OP just ditch the booze altogether, sounds like more hassle and calories than it's worth!

Ok, let the bashing begin :tongue:

WHAT!!!! :shockandhorroremoji: