Anyone with a Desk job?

Replies

• katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    I also spend all day sat at my desk! Used to walk to my old job so losing weight was easy, but now I work too far away and drive, so spend all day sat down I hate it! Add me too, would be good to see how other desk workers eat throughout the day :D
  • katpawsx2
    katpawsx2 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi,
    I'm also stuck at a desk all day. I have a Fitbit, although I have a love/hate relationship with it. But I do use it. I don't always get 250 steps each hour, it's hard because I answer the phones, but I have a nerf gun, so occasionally I get up and go instigate some trouble with my co-workers and I go out at lunch and go wandering so I get steps and move.
    So, how do I add folks as friends?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Standing desk job here.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    katpawsx2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm also stuck at a desk all day. I have a Fitbit, although I have a love/hate relationship with it. But I do use it. I don't always get 250 steps each hour, it's hard because I answer the phones, but I have a nerf gun, so occasionally I get up and go instigate some trouble with my co-workers and I go out at lunch and go wandering so I get steps and move.
    So, how do I add folks as friends?

Click on their name (under the profile pic) and then their name again..
  • katpawsx2
    katpawsx2 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you AshEvelynn.
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    @thewindandthework what sorts of meals are you making? I'm thinking about at least prepping lunches on the weekends, and I am trying to get all the ideas I can.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    You can all add me as a friend. I always had a desk job but was allowed to eat at my desk. Now I work front desk and really am not suppose to. Plus, I start at 5:30 in the morning and am having a hard time with breakfasts. I am not hungry that early, but as above....not suppose to eat at my desk. I had lost 30 pounds with 10 more to go but the weight has slowly been creeping back on. I went to the doctor and he told me to lose more like 25 pounds......so here I go again!! Thanks and have a great day
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    i hve question.. I want to shredd 4 kg... and ...as per MFP my daily goal is 2250 calories ... At the end of the day..MFP tell me that more than 1000 calroies left.. then why do i gain weight ... if i don't do exercise and eat much less than my required quota of calories.

Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat? If you don't have a digital scale, consider getting one and using it to track everything. It's a great way to get in the habit of eating rational portions of things.
  • Taylorreed23
    Taylorreed23 Posts: 2 Member
    I also have a desk job. I recently changed my work schedule so that I work a 4-day week and have one week day off, in addition to my weekends. It's a nice break between the very long 10 and a half hour work days that I now endure... At work, I try to take "walking lunches." There's a pond across the street and a small nature trail, so it's almost ridiculously easy to go out and walk. Of course, there's plenty of times that I get up from my desk chair to just go sit down at the cafeteria... so much sitting!
  • Genesyxx
    Genesyxx Posts: 13 Member
    Desk job here and I'm always at it it seems. I workout in the morning and walk/meal prep at night. Feel free to add me for mutual support
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    desk job here too. I spend my lunch breaks at the state park (about 5 mins up the road) and hit the gym 4 days/week. 15-20k steps/day is my norm. You can keep a pretty high step count if you make the effort to work for it.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    smc92079 wrote: »
    @thewindandthework what sorts of meals are you making? I'm thinking about at least prepping lunches on the weekends, and I am trying to get all the ideas I can.
    I don't want to repost it, but I just answered a similar question in this post, which also contains links to yet MORE posts of mine. I've been talking about this a lot lately, but it's a fun topic for me!

The super short version is I do a meat (so far just chicken breast, but there is some beef and pork on my radar. I'm just now getting into eating meat regularly, so it's not exactly my strong suit yet), a carb like rice or pasta, and a ton of veggies. I pick a regional cuisine like Italian or Thai, and see where the wind takes me.

I go into much more detail in those posts, and I'm happy to answer questions in any of these threads. :)

• pennypistol
    pennypistol Posts: 30 Member
    I'm on the desk 40 hours a week . From morning til late afternoon. It is the pits ! Sometimes I'm lucky to wake up early and work out before work, that is rare though. I try to push myself to work out when I get home and sometimes I'm too tired for that. Trying to get more energy. The more I work out the energy will come I know that. Need to lose 25 lbs. I log my food and prep my food every week / and every night for my lunch and snacks I take to work.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    I also work a desk job! I'm really bad about remembering to get up and walk around throughout the day, and am going to upgrade to a newer fitbit this weekend for the move reminders, which I am hoping will help! I don't pay as much attention to my daily steps as I do my calories. I've lost around 35 pounds so far by watching my calories and working out 4-6 days a week. You can do it!!!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Another desk jobber here. Luckily I get to walk to/from work, though it's not a long walk, so I base my targets on a sedentary TDEE and add exercise to my routine, only eating back some exercise calories.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Something non-food related I did was pick up taking walks on my breaks and lunch at work. I was able to get about two miles of walking in every work day until the weather got hot enough that I had to stop last week.

It burned a few calories, sure, but just being more active made a huge difference in my general attitude. I started doing other activities since then, so although I miss my walks at work, I'm burning plenty of calories at the gym.
  • renaedar
    renaedar Posts: 626 Member
    I have a desk job and answer calls and greet people but when the office is quiet I walk around in my area. I also walk my breaks and half my lunch. Please add me!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Desk job for me as well and I fight to just get 8,000 steps a day! I'm gonna try to bump it up a notch