Confused about macros

Options
limzzz
limzzz Posts: 21 Member
Hey everyone. I'm a little confused about macros. I'm 20, 5'7, and roughly 270. It says I should eat 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% proteins. I work in a semi construction environment (building an alligator attraction doing general labor like shoveling). The macros they gave me seem a bit... Wierd. I understand I need the carbs and fats but why do I need so much of it. Litterally 80% of my diet.
Is there a way that I can find out exactly what percentage of each macro I need.

Replies

• limzzz
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight. How does eating all those fats help?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MFP gives everyone those percentages to start. I've lost about 130 pounds eating about 50% carbs - 20% protein - 30% fat. That macro balance fits within the macro ranges recommended by most world governments.

Another popular macro balance is 40% carbs - 30% protein - 30% fat.

As long as you are getting enough fat and protein, your macro balance is really dependent on what works best with your preferred way of eating.

For weight loss, calories are what matter. Macros are more for satiety and making sure you are getting at least enough nutrition.

Here's a link to the US RDA/AI recommendations for macronutrients: Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients. The AMDR column shows the range for percentage recommendations.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Just use the recommended macros. It is a general percentage breakdown. There is nothing wrong with fat (though I don't think you need to do LCHF - that's overkill for someone just getting started.)

For now, work on getting enough protein and fat, and staying within your calories. You NEED fat, so enjoy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    limzzz wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose weight. How does eating all those fats help?

Sticking to your calorie goal helps. Macro breakdown is personal - you do need some fat for health though
  • threecharms
    threecharms Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that fats aren't the enemy. The low fat approach has been popular in the US for a generation or so. The body is designed to process fats. It's most often sugar that causes significant weight gain, diabetes, etc. So "low fat" foods are often sugared up quite a bit. I say try what is suggested for 2 weeks, see what the results are.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss, not macros. You can play with the percentages to see what satisfies you the best, but I will say I lost fine on the default macros.
  • limzzz
    Options
    @cmriverside what is LCHF?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    limzzz wrote: »
    @cmriverside what is LCHF?

Low Carb High Fat
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat.
    Carbs don't make you fat.
    Too many calories makes you fat.
    Macros aren't that big a deal. Some people find by playing around with them they can find a breakdown that keeps them satiated while maintaining a calorie deficit. Most people overly stress about macros when they aren't that big a deal. Worry about calories first. Macros a very far distant 2nd.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    By fats they mean healthy ones like
    in avocado, olive oil, salmon, and nuts. Not bacon. Lol fats help keep you full longer.

I eat bacon. I'm at a healthy weight.

It's all about calories, full stop.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't have to make weight loss complex.

At 270lbs adherence to your calorie goal in a way you can stick to for the long haul is going to the most important thing. Make that a sensible calorie goal, especially with an active job.

"Exact" macro percentages are completely unnecessary and very restrictive. Humans are very adaptable and thrive on wildly different diets.

Best of luck.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Calories are what matter for weight loss, not macros. You can play with the percentages to see what satisfies you the best, but I will say I lost fine on the default macros.

^^^ This..
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't have to make weight loss complex.

At 270lbs adherence to your calorie goal in a way you can stick to for the long haul is going to the most important thing. Make that a sensible calorie goal, especially with an active job.

^^^ and this...