Things that are holding me back from loosing weight and what to do?

Options

Replies

• carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Im not able to offer anything more than above, other than my PF was bad when i was around the same weight (im 5ft10). I saw a physiotherapist a couple of times, and i had stretches i had to do multiple times a day. I did the stretches religiously and it gradually eased. I havent had it return like that since, and that was almost 10 years ago.
    Google 'stretches for plantar fasciitis' ... youre basically stretching your calf muscles and all up the back of your leg. Use a towel or strap and stretch it, warm it up, before you get out of bed. Ice it through the day when its sore if you can - i had a desk job so i kept a water bottle in the freezer at work and rollef it under my heel.
    Everyone is different but this worked for me. Good luck!
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    All_Exits_Lead_Within Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP- you are me 2 years ago, except I have a few inches on you and suck at baking. Here's my 2 cents.....
    1. Get a cortisone shot in your foot and the PF will feel 95% better
    2. Cancel your gym membership (for now) and use that money for a great pair of walking shoes ( I like Hoka) and use them to get 10k steps a day. If you can, set up a thrifty home gym and get started on SL5x5
    3. If you MUST bake, do something drastic like only bake vegan. This is purely for educational purposes so you start to really analyze the calorie counts and search out interesting new ingredients
    5. STOP eating chips and replace them with vegetables. Start with salt or dips as needed and gradually learn to love them

That's it. You don't need motivation, you need better habits. I have lost 76# in about 2 years by making a series of tiny changes. It's possible.

This was really helpful. I like the idea of baking new things (I have been thinking of going vegetarian for a while because, well, I don't really like meat). I never actually thought about keeping my baking hobby while also testing new recipes - I generally don't bake things I don't know off the top of my head (which is a lot). Thank you a million and congratulations on your success!
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    All_Exits_Lead_Within Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try some at-home workouts
    Also, eat something healthy before you bake, then brush your teeth and then pop a stick of gum in your mouth and/or drink some flavored water while you bake!

I genuinely never thought of brushing my teeth so I wouldn't eat. Great idea! Thank you. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,424 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you always feel tired then maybe worth going to your GP and having a blood test done? Check for ferritin, vitamin B12, folate and vitamin D, and a thyroid panel at least. There might be an underlying reason. Don't just take vitamins before you had any test done as those can hide real deficiencies but might be too low dosed to be of any help. Thus if you're taking anything with B12 in it a blood test might hide a deficiency for at least 4 months.

Also think of what you do with your free time. Maybe cooking and baking for other people is too much for you and you really need a bit more time to do nothing at all. Is your bedroom perfect for you? Noise levels, light, uncomfy pillows? Also look at those things.
  • philyflyazz
    philyflyazz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've you dieted for almost a 2 decades gain then lose back n forth then I got serious weight related health issues n decided enough was enough n changed my lifestyle u have to want to change bad enough
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of simple carbs can make you feel tired. It might be worth experimenting with cutting down added sugar as much as possible for three or four weeks and see how your energy levels are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First go see a doctor. There might be a reason why you're so tired.

About baking.. I have the same problem. I KNOW that if I bake something, I'll end up eating a lot of it... so I just bake for parties or when we have friends over (some of them don't mind taking the stuff off my hands afterwards either). I have basically no interest in making something and not trying it, unfortunately, so giving it all away is just not worth my time and money.

The chips? Easier to say no at the store than when you're at home and it's there. But the bottom line is that you have to want it enough to make that choice, and nobody can do it for you.

Also nobody cares about you at the gym. I just bought a treadmill and I'm planning on cancelling my membership, personally, after 4 years (I would have saved a lot of money actually if I had done that 3 years ago, but I also have dumbbells at home). I used to be on my exercise bike a lot until I figured out that it burns a very sad amount of calories and just figured it wasn't worth my time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's not always going to be unicorns and roses, if you want to change something needs to change.

You are likely not going to stop baking or eating what you bake, but you can bake in amounts that would not leave much for you to overeat after everyone's had their share, or bake less often. Might not be pleasant to do something you like less often, but it's either than or continue doing what you are doing getting the results you are getting.

See a doctor about your fasciitis and tiredness, and do at least some form of activity if you wish to be more active. That's always better than none. At least increase your non-exercise active time like walking to most places that are at a reasonable distance. Do you have access to a pool if you can't walk? That can be kind to your feet. Does biking hurt? If you don't want to be more active you will have to settle for eating less, and that's alright, but you need choose your sacrifice. There needs to be one.

Having willpower for the 30 seconds it takes to pass the chips is easier than trying to muster it once it's already in the house. If you absolutely need to, buy ONE single serving pack. It's unpleasant to not do whatever you want whenever you want, but if it's holding you back it will continue holding you back if you don't do anything about it.

Nobody cares what you do at the gym. Actually, you don't even need a gym to lose weight. I have lost all of my weight so far without sitting a single foot in the gym. People have to do unpleasant things sometimes to get pleasant results.

You just need to want to do things, or do them regardless of wanting. Do things that result in a calorie deficit more often than things that result in a calorie surplus and you should lose weight, but don't expect it to just come to you. You need to take initiative. You've identified the problems, now it's time to try out solutions.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It is simple, it is a matter of choices, small ones day to day. WHICH do love more? The current path you're on or one that leads to weight loss. You do not have to give up all sweets and chips forever. Moderation means different things for different people who have reached their goals, some incorporate a small treat daily, some avoid most days unless it's a special occasion, some set one day a week to eat at maintenance, it's trial and error and have to find what will work for you. Physical activity is very possible with plantar fasciitis, I dealt with it for a year, and nerve damage and spinal damage for many years. Ice, and stretch and ice again, start slow, do low impact exercise like stationery bike, swim, or start with floor stretching and yoga (YouTube clips for low impact exercise available in abundance ) Again it is the small choices we make hour by hour day by day that leads to success. Good luck.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    BTDT tips: (5'4" was 227lbs, now 180... still losing)

Make popcorn at home instead of chips

Weigh your portions for everything you eat & drink & log it)

Stop baking- only do for holidays & when I get begged to bring something to a party or bake sale. I only allow myself a couple, and everyone else MUST take the rest home w them! (I had to basically quit baking, too).

Gave away my bread machine, too.

Yoga basically fixed my plantar fasciitis- and I only go 1-2x a week; it took 3-4 weeks and as long as I keep going, my foot feels great! If I miss a week (was sick- the pain comes back). Also- quality shoes helped. NO cheapies! Your feet are very important
  • rz9liason
    rz9liason Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first step is joining MFP and admitting your weaknesses! Bravo! The second step is logging all of the food that you consume with no judgements. No. Judgements. The third step is to find an exercise that you love and do it slowly, whether at the gym or at home. Try walking with a family member or a friend. The fourth step is to work with a nutritionist to best understand your food likes and dislikes and how to incorporate the foods that you love. The fifth step is to let everyone know that you want to make healthier choices and lose weight, but need their help and don't plan on making baked goods all of the time.

Yeah. You need to go see a doctor and work from there. Good luck!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your condition I do imagine it makes it alot harder, I was diagnosed with PCOS and pre diabetic when I started and I did find it hard to stay below maintenance so I would say the thing is to not over restrict, don't wang your settings straight up to 2 pounds a week loss as the massive change can be a killer for motivation, start smaller if you haven't maybe 1 pound a week and do what you can, also don't worry about the gym, people of all shapes and sizes attend and they should all be concentrating on their own thing with probably their own hangups but if you really don't like the idea of going, someones suggestion of cancelling or putting on hold your membership and perhaps just walking to get your step count up into the 10k region is a really great start.

As for baking use your skills to maybe bake healthier savoury meals like root vegetable pastries (going easy on the pastry ;P) but don't let people pressure you into baking lots of cake if it's become a massive barrier, same for buying chips, I do think having your favourite food around is too hard, I have stopped buying crisps (even the individual packets as I can't just have one bag), chocolate cereal and biscuits/cookies because I can't have them in moderation and I can hear them calling me from the kitchen. When I've tried to quit smoking in the past I can't do it if I know there's a pack of ciggies in the drawer I have to get them out of the house, same for easily accessible comfort food. But I also have food in the house if I need a sweet fix like options low fat hot chocolate and iced lollies. Another good idea is to pre log and plan your meals for the day, putting down your meals first can help you make better decisions and you can always change portion sizes to get the odd snack in, Good luck. x
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Replace the time you are sitting in front of the tv eating chips with exercise... new to fitness? Start with low impact cardio... stationary bike will probably be best with the plantar fasciitis... start with 10 minutes... keep the rpms above 80... 3x/week... get a gym rep to give you an orientation on the lifting machines... after 6 weeks on the bike increase the time to 20 minutes and up the resistance. Fuel your workout... so you can complete it. Ie eat the calories you expect to burn before you begin your workout... increase your protein intake... it will help you from binging... drink plenty of water... remove "I can't " from your vocabulary. Your life is by your design. Own it... and learn to forgive yourself... become the person you want to love.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This has kept me going more times than I can count: Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Pick your hard. I believe it's from Martha Beck. Her book, The Four-Day Win: End Your Diet War and Achieve Thinner Piece, is excellent.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I bake once a week, but I've decided that (barring special occasions), I will not make a dessert that is more than 200 calories per serving. Okay, if it comes out to 210, I might figure it's close enough, but no frosted layer cakes. So, this week, I did meringues (27 calories each). I've done chocolate truffles (75 each). Get a few good low-calorie cookbooks. The low-fat craze is over, but even though the pendulum's swung back and we're remembering that fat isn't evil, there are some good low-cal recipes in low-fat cookbooks, mostly using the common tricks, like switching out some of the oil for applesauce.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    As others have posted, the cortisone shot helped the second I got it. It is great.
    I have a friend who makes some great dishes. People request it all the time from her. She obliges them. They are also using her. They could serve something else, make it themselves or buy it at the store. Your friends can buy their desserts from a bakery. Yes, you could try baking only low fat/low sugar items. But people will still request your other fattening stuff. Which brings you back to having it in your house. How about a 6 month reprieve for your baking or 1 year? It might help you change your habit of baking and eating. The chips - don't buy or if you want, buy a 1 oz. bag only. Habits are hard to break, true, but you have to dig your feet in the sand and make these hard decisions to help better yourself. Hugs