Has counting calories had a negative or positive impact on you?

Options
Before I downloaded this app I would never think about what I was eating. I would eat whatever I wanted without question. As a result of this I have been overweight for the majority of my life. Counting calories has had a positive impact on me as I have lost 8 pounds in a single month just from being on a caloric deficit. I had a tendency to binge eat and if I want to binge eat on candy I still can but I will only be able to eat a few chocolate bars and for the rest of the day I won't be able to eat anything else as it would go over my calorie count. This works as a deterrent to binge eating as I won't be able to have a single meal if I binge which will result in hunger. I have also learnt about the crazy amount of calories I was consuming just from drinks alone. I was consuming around 4000 calories from drinks every week which is around 2 additional days of food. Does anyone else find counting calories helpful or does anyone dislike counting calories.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've found it quite freeing. I've never tried to lose weight before, as I saw what binge dieting did to my mom and sister growing up and promised myself I'd never do that. I gained a lot of weight over the last decade and realized that I felt out of control of my body. So I started counting calories last year, and then this year started making sustainable, gradual changes to my diet. Calorie counting gives me that feeling of control back, and with reasonable, gradual goals, being able to track those changes over time feels great and gives me something concrete to say "yes, I can do this, let's keep going!"
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For me it has been really positive... Now I know the best way to eat.. I was eating way too many calories a day... n
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    I find it helpful, but I still really wish I was a person who could naturally eat my maintenance calories without tracking. But I know I can't, and so I will track forever.

This is me exactly. However, I still find tracking calories a positive experience for me as it helps me become much more mindful about what I'm eating, and I enjoy the eating experience more.
  • samm_ohh
    samm_ohh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that I lose weight when I count my calories. I've been off and on using the app for a couple years and logging my intake makes me aware of what eating of how much I eat. When I don't log my intake I maintain it gain
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Definitely positive. I love seeing my calories for the day go up after an awesome workout, I love finding different foods to fill my day with. I love wine and I no longer feel massive guilt for drinking a glass because I can see I have room for it. I love that I can see how consistent i have been with staying on track, and know that one care free date night a month with my husband won't eliminate all progress. I did take a few weeks off of counting calories and tried counting points. I was hungry, grumpy, couldn't eat any of the foods I loved without feeling massive guilt. I'll gladly count calories for life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs (gained 10 back sadly), so yeah, I can say that it has had a positive impact for me.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to do every once in a while in order to become mindful of just how much I'm consuming. I won't do it every day for the rest of my life but I think it was helpful to keep me from crash dieting in order to lose weight, or from relying on exercise and neglecting nutrition.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    When I count calories, I stay at a deficit and I lose weight. When I stop counting calories, my consumption increases and I slide back up to the mid-280s. I have many years experience of this. Weighing twice what I ought is finally severely retricting my activities. This time feels different. This time I'm understanding that watching calorie consumption is something I will be doing for the rest of my life.