Cast Iron Skillets

Options

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Lodge is good to go. Also consider their carbon steel pan - I use this more frequently than my cast iron.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY USE SOAP WHEN NEEDED. Use a little bit of soap and very hot water. I use soap 100% of the time when cooking fish or other stuff with potentially super stinky oils.

Soap is 100% fine. It's an old wive's tale that it ruins the seasoning. Those people just enjoy unhealthy, rancid oil sitting on top of the seasoning.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/cast-iron-lets-cook

Don't use soap, It's NOT an old wive's tale, The soap will get in the pores of your iron and then your food will taste like soap.

You can scrub your cast iron pan with salt to get rid of the stinky oils.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to make hair gel? (Kidding, I just can't find any I like, that work. I know I can Google it...)
    I used to make a great flaxseed hair gel; if you're really interested I can dig up the recipe when I get home this evening.

Very nice of you...as it turns out I bought some at the dollar store, so I'll be okay for a while.

I just don't like the smells and I would like it to be shinier and to actually work.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that acidic food should also not be cooked in a well seasoned cast iron pan.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    It should be noted that acidic food should also not be cooked in a well seasoned cast iron pan.

If it's a well seasoned pan there is no problem, a new or recently seasoned pan may end up with it seasoning stripped though.

I've regularly simmered chili in my 100+year old Waypak with no seasoning problems.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am in midst of reconditioning my cast iron pans and griddle. I am using this method: http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2009/01/easy-cast-iron-skillet-reconditioning.html I'll let you know how it goes.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    I am in midst of reconditioning my cast iron pans and griddle. I am using this method: http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2009/01/easy-cast-iron-skillet-reconditioning.html I'll let you know how it goes.

I've done the oven cleaner method it works well but can take awhile. I switched to the lye bath which is pretty much the same thing but easier.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    pans & dutch oven are coming along, but that griddle :( I live in a neighborhood of tiny lots and old homes--it would be difficult for me to dispose of a lye bath. The garbage bags and toweling of used caustic oven cleaner get carted away with garbage...for some reason this is more p.c..
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    combining oven-cleaner chemical method with self-cleaning oven + vinegar method.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    UPDATE: oven cleaner (pro) works great and doing it with cast iron inside a plastic garbage bag minimizes fumes and keeps cleaner in contact with cast iron overnight. After rinsing object I would do a light scrub with scrotch pad and pick at raised debris with paint scraber. One piece needed treatment twice and another thrice. (con) not environment friendly
    self-cleaning oven cycle (pro) This site does not recommend this method on vintage ware or items not easily replaceable: http://www.castironcollector.com/restore.php. I used it on post 1960s skillets and griddle. It works great. The griddle that I thought was a goner came out so clean that I discovered it was cast aluminum! I did not find that my cast iron turned permanently reddish. (con) warning from aforementioned website that it can damage pieces.
    vinegar bath: (pro) all minor surface rust came off with light buffing with fresh scotch pad. (con) can't think of any--as an added bonus I used the vinegar&water I made in my wash tubs as a weed killer in all the driveway cracks.
    EvapoRust castironcollector recommended this biodegradeable product for stubborn rust spots. (pros) although the product instructions directs to submerged objects at $8.99/qt it is much pricer than white vinegar, so I was not going to create another bath. I had great results pouring a few tablespoons out onto the castiron surface and using #0000 steel wool to lightly buff areas. I would rinse the cast iron, wipe dry, and place on gas stove top over a low heat for a complete dry. Sometimes a light film of rust would reappear and I would retreat. ***My oven broke during my cast iron restoration weekend. Technician is coming on Wednesday--so are all my freshly stripped pieces going to sit and rust until then? No. I applied a generous rub-down with EvapoRust with a towel and they are sitting pretty on my counter nice and grey.

salt and oil Crisco smokes at 500, which is a popular choice. Rice bran oil also has a high smoke temp. Olive oil smokes at 350, so not as suitable. Flax seed oil is popular, but because rags can spontaneously combust, I did not want to work with it. Since grapeseed oil is also a "drying oil" but does not have a spontaneous combustion reputation, I was satisfied with its 420 smoking point. Avocado oil offers the same at 480 smoking pt, but I had grapeseed oil already in the house, so I used grapeseed oil.

On another site I read about rubbing with salt to "drive the oil in", but salt on an unseasoned surface seemed to me to invite the rust I had just gotten rid of, so I instead experimented with using oil a buffing abrasive. As I said I have no oven yet, but I was a bit impatient so I took 2 of smallest skillets and tried seasoning on my gas cooktop. Basically, this was sufficient to apply the initial layers of seasoning, but I will have to finish in the oven to adequately season the handles. I pretty much followed the castironcollector recommendations: prewarm pcs/do not shock cold pcs over w high heat; less is better than more when applying oil/wiping off excess before heating is slower but results in a smoother finish; gradually heating pcs up to near smoke point over successive times does transform the pcs from grey to bronze to black. I allowed the pcs to cool slowly too.

Then this is were the the salt comes in: I would a take a cooled pc and put a 1/2 teaspoon salt (the finer the grind the more gentle the buff) into a pc then with a towel I had wiped off the excess oil I would use to buff the bottom, walls, and outside of a pc. This removes a little of the seasoning and increased the my expected seasoning repetitions from 6 to a dozen. On the upside, the bottom of my vintage skillet is looking glassy and the rougher-formerly preseasoned skillet has its texture surface evening-out.

all for now
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Lodge is fine.

Soap is fine, if it's well seasoned.

I'm personally not using any of my 9 cast iron pans or Dutch ovens (lol) because the only high maintenance thing I can handle in my life right now is me. Lol.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    @Luna3386 You are correct; soap is fine... AND my pre-1960 lodge skillets are just as fine as my BSR. It's the Lodge "pre-seasoned" pcs whose bottoms are not milled fine. They were purposefully textured so that the manuf pre-seasoned coating would adhere.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I read all that @lpina2mi but I got a little lost on the vinegar thing. Did you just soak it in the vinegar and then use the scrubby? Or did the vinegar and the self-cleaning oven somehow have something to do with one another?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    @Luna3386 You are correct; soap is fine... AND my pre-1960 lodge skillets are just as fine as my BSR. It's the Lodge "pre-seasoned" pcs whose bottoms are not milled fine. They were purposefully textured so that the manuf pre-seasoned coating would adhere.

@lpina2mi ah, good point. My old ones, passed down from my husband's grandma or great grandma (honestly can't remember and am scared to ask my mother in law lol) do better than new ones I bought.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I always wash my Le Creuset cast iron pan with soap... now I'm wondering if I need to change - does anyone know? I looked on their website and it's not very clear.
  • clcrawford1
    clcrawford1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a passionate home cook, and I actually prefer carbon steel pans to cast iron, but I have both as needed. I like my cast iron, but I LOVE the performance of my carbon steel pans
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Cast iron? I go Staub or Le Creuset. We love our cast iron pots and pans Just so easy in use. Also they can go into the overn and our Big Green Egg etc. Lovel them
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    I always wash my Le Creuset cast iron pan with soap... now I'm wondering if I need to change - does anyone know? I looked on their website and it's not very clear.

If it's enamel, you don't need to worry about anything except chipping it. If it's bare metal, you should treat it like any other cast iron surface and avoid washing away the seasoning w/soap or detergents.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm a passionate home cook, and I actually prefer carbon steel pans to cast iron, but I have both as needed. I like my cast iron, but I LOVE the performance of my carbon steel pans

@clcrawford1 Never heard of carbon steel pans. Why is it better? What brand do you like?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Another Lodge user here. It's a really impressive company story if you have a chance to look it up. At least I was impressed. Makes me feel good about buying from them but their stuff lasts forever so very little replacement business I would think. My nearest sporting goods store sells Lodge.

However, I have read that 100 year old cast iron is much, much lighter. Hand cast vs machine cast or something like that. Evidently you can sometimes find them at flea markets. I can't stand flea market kinds of things so I won't find one, but I would love to. Lodge is heavy.

We don't use detergent, FWIW. If there's crusty stuff stuck to the pan, we heat it a little and scrub w kosher salt.
  • clcrawford1
    clcrawford1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

@clcrawford1 Never heard of carbon steel pans. Why is it better? What brand do you like?

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1623-carbon-steel-skillets

That's a great article that explains the benefits of carbon steel. They haven't taken off in home kitchens but they are ubiquitous in restaurant kitchens. They can do a very high heat for searing like cast iron, but are much more nonstick to start. It took me awhile to adjust to using them, I burned everything for a week. Once I got used to it though, I make everything from fried eggs, wine reductions, pancakes, steaks to delicate white fish.

Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Black Steel Round Frying Pan, was the americas test kitchen winner, very reasonable at about $45 on amazon (I have two and they are all I use after throwing away my nonstick pans)