Things that are holding me back from loosing weight and what to do?

Options

Replies

• KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

[1] Don't buy the chips. Don't even walk down that aisle-There is nothing in that aisle that isn't high-calorie density. Eat before you go shopping - that will help prevent impulse snack purchases. If you are in charge of all the food that comes into the house, then it is a lot easier to keep to your calories (as in it gets a lot harder if your boyfriend brings home boxes of croissants). Or buy 1 small single-serve bag if your calories allow (this might require buying your junk food at a quickie mart/bodega instead of the supermarket). It is a lot easier to have self-control for a 30-minute grocery run then it will be in the hours you are home.

My grocery store is truly evil. They moved the chips to the same aisle as the greek yogurt. The puffy cheetos are directly across from my Fage. Evil, evil store.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Make one small change and stick with it. Don't try and change everything at once. Stop buying chips but continue to bake. Or - go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes. Trust me - there are all types who go to the gym but everyone is focused on themselves and that is it. Nobody cares about anyone else at a gym. Don't sacrifice your own goals because a stranger might look at you.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe save your baking for friends for holidays (Thanksgiving, for example), and find a new, non-food related hobby to express your artistic abilities. You could do some crafting, art... If you want to move more (if your foot lets you), take up an active hobby like tai chi or yoga, both of which don't tend to mess with PF much. Use your gym membership. It's likely no one is going to think anything about you at all, but if they do, good or bad, who cares?

As far as the potato-chip urge, you are completely in control of your shopping decisions if you choose to be. Don't even go down that aisle. Budget less money for food, if necessary (and spend it on some exercise classes). If you need to be really extreme, meal plan your week and get your food delivered to avoid impulse buys until the craving has dissipated some.

I think excuses are good to get out of your system before making a plan. You've done that now: time to make a plan and stick to it.
  • GinaDanielle98
    GinaDanielle98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Completely know how you feel as for years I'd make any excuse possible! Don't let it get you down though, the more you think about how you make excuses or 'fail' the harder it gets!
    As some others have said, there are healthier things you can bake! And maybe you could cut the 'treats' baking down to once/twice a week? This way you will get your fix, still feel successful in your diet/weightloss AND have something to look forward to! ☺️
    Regarding not going to the gym - don't bother! I would never have lost any weight if I relied on the gym as I'm super insecure about how my body looks in my workout gear.
    I have found 'Fitness Blender' workouts on YouTube amazing, they're totally free, have water breaks built into many, have a range of workouts to suit different abilities and needs. Check them out and get on it at home!
    This app has also become an integral part of my daily routine - log EVERYTHING. It gives you a real sense of achievement and motivation.
    I will add you, always here for motivation and positive thinking (and recipe sharing
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »

[1] Don't buy the chips. Don't even walk down that aisle-There is nothing in that aisle that isn't high-calorie density. Eat before you go shopping - that will help prevent impulse snack purchases. If you are in charge of all the food that comes into the house, then it is a lot easier to keep to your calories (as in it gets a lot harder if your boyfriend brings home boxes of croissants). Or buy 1 small single-serve bag if your calories allow (this might require buying your junk food at a quickie mart/bodega instead of the supermarket). It is a lot easier to have self-control for a 30-minute grocery run then it will be in the hours you are home.

My grocery store is truly evil. They moved the chips to the same aisle as the greek yogurt. The puffy cheetos are directly across from my Fage. Evil, evil store.

Mine puts the cookie dough across from the yogurt. ;(
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    my husband suffered from plantar fascitis. He still managed to lose 30 lbs this year. He did a lot of biking on the recumbent bike. He also did a couple PT sessions, learned lot of stretching and strengthening of his leg muscles which reduced the fascitis. And he made sure to wear really good shoes.

Stop baking treats. Its okay, people will still love you for you.

You dont need chips and once you stop eating them for a while, the desire will go away. In the meantime, can you do peapod or a grocery delivery if you have problems at the store?
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea is a possibility if you always feel tired. This is something that you should discuss with your doctor. Sleep apnea is very common in overweight individuals, and can cause death, since you stop breathing in your sleep.

And take a break from baking if you can't stop eating it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. This question isn't a unique question for me, I know many people on MFP are struggling and looking for motivation. I think seeing a doctor about the fatigue is a good idea. I have what my doctor calls "borderline hypothyroidism" so they won't do anything to treat me until/unless it gets there, but he said it can make people tired. I do think seeing a doctor and getting some of those other tests done might be a good idea. I will sleep 8.5 hours and still feel like I can't stand up or stay awake.

And no, I'm not new to fitness. I used to be in good shape (7 years ago) and I could squat 180 pounds, now I can't even squat the bar without feeling like I'll faint, I also used to be able to run for long periods of time without getting winded. Hopefully this might inspire someone who is smaller than me but is still out of shape to not allow themselves to get to this point. The more weight you gain, the harder it is to do something about it.

Mmm. I just noticed this and I'm sure most of you don't care, but I meant to write losing, not loosing. No idea how I let that happen.

You may want to find a new doctor. Or get a referral to an endocrinologist. Find out what your TSH is and if doc ran any other thyroid tests (Free T3 and Free T4). Many doctors (GPs, especially) are still using outdated numbers to determine hypothyroid. Which yours may be doing.

Bottom line: you have a doctor who knows you're feeling the side effects of a medical condition but he doesn't want to do anything about yet. How severe does it have to get? How bad do you need to feel before he thinks it's a problem? That's a lack of regard for your well-being and a lack of respect for you as a human being. It's like saying, well, you have stage 1 cancer, but let's wait until stage 2 before we start treatment. #smh
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I just poured my heart into a response for you and lost it. To summarize, do something different. If you stay in your comfort zone, you STAY in your comfort zone.
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    All_Exits_Lead_Within Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »
    Ugh! I just poured my heart into a response for you and lost it. To summarize, do something different. If you stay in your comfort zone, you STAY in your comfort zone.

Happens to me a lot. It truly is the thought that counts. Having people who care about me as a stranger is already given me some motivation that I need. :smile:
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. This question isn't a unique question for me, I know many people on MFP are struggling and looking for motivation. I think seeing a doctor about the fatigue is a good idea. I have what my doctor calls "borderline hypothyroidism" so they won't do anything to treat me until/unless it gets there, but he said it can make people tired. I do think seeing a doctor and getting some of those other tests done might be a good idea. I will sleep 8.5 hours and still feel like I can't stand up or stay awake.

And no, I'm not new to fitness. I used to be in good shape (7 years ago) and I could squat 180 pounds, now I can't even squat the bar without feeling like I'll faint, I also used to be able to run for long periods of time without getting winded. Hopefully this might inspire someone who is smaller than me but is still out of shape to not allow themselves to get to this point. The more weight you gain, the harder it is to do something about it.

Mmm. I just noticed this and I'm sure most of you don't care, but I meant to write losing, not loosing. No idea how I let that happen.

You may want to find a new doctor. Or get a referral to an endocrinologist. Find out what your TSH is and if doc ran any other thyroid tests (Free T3 and Free T4). Many doctors (GPs, especially) are still using outdated numbers to determine hypothyroid. Which yours may be doing.

Bottom line: you have a doctor who knows you're feeling the side effects of a medical condition but he doesn't want to do anything about yet. How severe does it have to get? How bad do you need to feel before he thinks it's a problem? That's a lack of regard for your well-being and a lack of respect for you as a human being. It's like saying, well, you have stage 1 cancer, but let's wait until stage 2 before we start treatment. #smh

Ain't that the truth! I switched doctors this morning and getting my blood work done tomorrow. Crossing fingers that if there is something to find, they find it.

• All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    Could you have sleep apnea? I think I have it, I got tested for it a few days ago. It can happen when you have a wide neck and breathing at night becomes a problem. I may be getting hooked up to a breathing machine to help my sleep, and give me more energy during the day.

If you like baking, maybe you could consider a new source for recipes? I have been making stuff from chocolatecoveredkatie.com and she has great suggestions for desserts, often using vegetables and coconut oil. I made fudge last week, tonight I made brownies made out of black beans and later in the week, I'm going to make icecream out of bananas. It's all vegan as well, if that interests you. You don't have to give up the treats, you just have to retrain your tastebuds, so the sources of your treats are healthier.

I stopped eating potato chips regularly about two years ago. I don't enjoy them as much anymore. I actually find them quite boring. Rice crackers are a different story... you crave what you eat often. I think they have about a 1/4 of the calories as potato chips. Rice cakes are probably even better. And pickles are good too. I also liked the suggestion about popcorn- I add coconut oil and salt to mine, and it's divine!

Fiance pointed this out recently - he said I have been snoring loudly in the past 3 months. After just looking into it, I think this might be highly probable.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Replace the time you are sitting in front of the tv eating chips with exercise... new to fitness? Start with low impact cardio... stationary bike will probably be best with the plantar fasciitis... start with 10 minutes... keep the rpms above 80... 3x/week... get a gym rep to give you an orientation on the lifting machines... after 6 weeks on the bike increase the time to 20 minutes and up the resistance. Fuel your workout... so you can complete it. Ie eat the calories you expect to burn before you begin your workout... increase your protein intake... it will help you from binging... drink plenty of water... remove "I can't " from your vocabulary. Your life is by your design. Own it... and learn to forgive yourself... become the person you want to love.

Walk one hour each day
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    Could you have sleep apnea? I think I have it, I got tested for it a few days ago. It can happen when you have a wide neck and breathing at night becomes a problem. I may be getting hooked up to a breathing machine to help my sleep, and give me more energy during the day.

If you like baking, maybe you could consider a new source for recipes? I have been making stuff from chocolatecoveredkatie.com and she has great suggestions for desserts, often using vegetables and coconut oil. I made fudge last week, tonight I made brownies made out of black beans and later in the week, I'm going to make icecream out of bananas. It's all vegan as well, if that interests you. You don't have to give up the treats, you just have to retrain your tastebuds, so the sources of your treats are healthier.

I stopped eating potato chips regularly about two years ago. I don't enjoy them as much anymore. I actually find them quite boring. Rice crackers are a different story... you crave what you eat often. I think they have about a 1/4 of the calories as potato chips. Rice cakes are probably even better. And pickles are good too. I also liked the suggestion about popcorn- I add coconut oil and salt to mine, and it's divine!

The switch to coconut oil is to make the recipe vegan, it contains the same calories, fat is fat in that respect. And often the banana ice cream can become calorie dense depending on what you add though it does have more micros. Depends what you want from your treat, a treat for a treats' sake or something to help you hit your macros too. I have been curious about black bean brownies though!

I've tried the banana ice cream thing...the banana flavor overwhelms me..turns me off.
    Milk ice banana cinnamon

Maybe too ripe?
    Any ideas to fix the flavor?
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    If you always feel tired then maybe worth going to your GP and having a blood test done? Check for ferritin, vitamin B12, folate and vitamin D, and a thyroid panel at least. There might be an underlying reason. Don't just take vitamins before you had any test done as those can hide real deficiencies but might be too low dosed to be of any help. Thus if you're taking anything with B12 in it a blood test might hide a deficiency for at least 4 months.

Also think of what you do with your free time. Maybe cooking and baking for other people is too much for you and you really need a bit more time to do nothing at all. Is your bedroom perfect for you? Noise levels, light, uncomfy pillows? Also look at those things.

OP, do get tested for these deficiencies. When my anemia is untreated I have crippling fatigue.

However, not eating enough protein while eating a lot of baked goods, and not getting enough exercise, makes me fatigued as well.

Same feelings..anemia...iron is making upset stomach
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've never stepped foot inside a gym. I jog around my neighborhood, buy weights and do them while watching TV. You don't necessarily need to cut out the foods you enjoy eating, just control your portions. I eat everything and anything I want, but I fast for 23 hours. Check out OMAD Revolution group. It's great! Alot of people who have lost tremendous amount of weight thru OMAD.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

The switch to coconut oil is to make the recipe vegan, it contains the same calories, fat is fat in that respect. And often the banana ice cream can become calorie dense depending on what you add though it does have more micros. Depends what you want from your treat, a treat for a treats' sake or something to help you hit your macros too. I have been curious about black bean brownies though!

I've tried the banana ice cream thing...the banana flavor overwhelms me..turns me off.
    Milk ice banana cinnamon

Maybe too ripe?
    Any ideas to fix the flavor?

If you can find it, try mamey fruit instead of banana - it tastes like pumpkin pie and makes delicious ice cream. Here it's available at the Mexican market. I blend 100g mamey fruit plus ice and 3 oz unsweetened almond milk, add cinnamon.
  • joe4975
    joe4975 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This worked for me. Give yourself permission to be tired. It's OK. Give yourself permission to be uncomfortable. That's OK too! Say it out loud, "I'm tired today, and uncomfortable today, and that is how I am!"

Then give yourself permission to eat right, and exercise even when you are tired and uncomfortable. Realize that you will feel much better being thin, tired, and uncomfortable, than being fat, tired, and uncomfortable. You might then find that when you achieve your weight goal, you don't feel so tired and uncomfortable anymore!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you eat all the chips? Do you log it? Or do you only log when you feel you're eating well?

Logging everything, absolutely everything, whether I'm eating well or badly, sticking to my goals or blowing them up, even the most extreme binges, is what makes the difference for me. Eating a whole family sized bag of snacks is not a victimless crime. It has consequences. Some of us need to see and feel those consequences, by logging it honestly, before we start to want to change things.