Yet another rant about physicians!

My doctor and I just had another one of those rushed discussions where he pooh-poohs that I have lost 13.5 pounds in 40 days by watching calorie consumption and he insists that if I exercise 30 minutes a day and eat fewer processed foods I will lose weight. I am 130+ pounds overweight (recently 150ish) and we've had this discussion before.

"I don't eat processed food. I make it all from scratch."

He responds, "Well all meat is processed."

Rather than try to work on that statement, I decide he's talking about red meat and say, "We only eat pork or beef two to four times a month."

His retort, "What did you have for supper last night?"

I respond, "Well, pizza but it was totally homemade." I didn't tell him it was a veggie pizza with 50% whole grain crust.

He says, "Well, that's high calorie."

I said, "No, it isn't if you control the portions."

We both gave up. My problems are not due to the quality of what I eat but the quantity. Yes, to be ideal, whatever that is, I should probably up my protein intake and lessen my saturated fat intake but that's just tinkering.

CICO!!

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited July 2017
    I should mention that my primary provider isn't an MD. She's an APRN/ACNP or whatever they're calling it these days.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member

Walnut butter? I'm going to have to find some of that, it sounds delicious.

It's in the natural food aisle of most stores (at least here in Canada). SUPER delicious - almost as good as pistachio butter!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Hmm, I haven't tried pistachio butter, and obviously must.
  • Emmygm
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hmm, I haven't tried pistachio butter, and obviously must.

It will change your life :blush:
  • Emmygm
    I'm the OP. We eat very few "processed foods" unless you are including things like mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, etc. The pizza we had started as a pile of flour. No, I didn't make the cheese THIS time but I have in the past. Yes, whole fruits and vegetables are better for us than juices so we eat the whole thing. Recent research indicates that whole grains have a better glycemic index number than whole grain flours so we try to eat whole grains like brown rice, wild rice, bulgur, etc. fairly often. No, I'm not pure or fanatical about it; we had Sticky Fingers barbecue sauce on some pulled pork the other night but we won't be having it again for a couple weeks at least.

Well, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. GPs aren't experts in nutrition. As long as what you are doing is working, focus on that!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm the OP. We eat very few "processed foods" unless you are including things like mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, etc.

He seems to be.