LCHF/Keto - why eat more protein when losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    richb178 wrote: »
    The idea is to find low calorie foods rich in protein so that you get all the protein you need within your recommended calorie allotment. I'm not sure what your allotment is but I have little trouble getting 100g of protein, often closer to 115g, in the 1600 calories I eat per day. When I first started and I was not getting that much protein, I changed the foods not the amount of calories I was eating to reach my goal.
    Yes, I think I need to look into other sources of protein. I'm sure I could get more protein eating steak, but that's too expensive - maybe once a week.

I eat a lot of dairy, especially yogurt and cottage cheese. Fish tends to have a good protein/calorie ratio. Broccoli and other green veggies that grow above the ground are good too. You can find plenty of suggestions for budget-friendly, protein-rich alternatives on most any keto site.
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, this is only day 4 (tracking my meals), so I'm still doing the eggs & bacon thing in the morning, until I get some leftovers. I can only eat 2 eggs and can't image eating a third. Either scrambled in butter with bacon, or a cheese omelette. Also maybe a 1/4C pecans or cream cheese on celery.

I bought a 4-pack of pork loin chops, 8oz each. I had two the first night and thought I was going to explode, then one each other night. Either fried cabbage, salad, or broccoli & cheese sauce as a side. Some berries in cream or maybe pecans fried in butter for dessert.

Tonight I was planning on grilled chicken thighs on a salad of lettuce and spinach, some tomato & onion, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole, and some hot sauce or other heat that I can get away with. I was thinking 2 thighs, but that would only bring me up to 75g protein. I can probably handle, or maybe even want, a third, which would take it up to 92g.

I have no appetite during the day or evenings (really ever), so just have a cup of broth midday and late evening. I'm kinda doing a 14/10 IF, maybe sliding to 12/12 if dinner gets pushed back. It's more out of convenience with skipping lunch, but I'm also hoping it will help with ketosis.

I could probably eat more cheese (or something) if I really need to add 20-30g of protein. But more eggs in the morning or more meat at night is not really an appetizing option.

I'm actually following more of an old Atkins diet for losing weight (it seems), so I'm not cramming extra fat at this point - just adding it liberally.

Thanks.

PS. before my diet was high carb, high fat, always hungry or eating out of habit. Lots of fast food and snacks. And my home cooked dinners were so tasty I'd go back for seconds or thirds. No energy and always tired and taking pain relievers and anti-acid. After 1 week low carb (day 4 on this site), my appetite is suppressed, plenty of energy, never crashing, feel light on my feet, no pain, no heartburn, and even more regular ...
  • thisisbeej
    thisisbeej Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For me, its quite simple. Protein really helps keep your blood sugar levels stable the longest. You can get your energy from sugars, carbs or protein. Protein is the most complex and keeps your feeling less hungry the longest. I all but live off boneless chicken breast. I count macros so I have do have some fats and carbs as well, but my diet is more protein heavy.

I don't crave foods/get hungry when my blood sugar is more stable. I get more crashes with sugars and carbs which leads to more calories which leads to weight-gain. This is why I swear by high protein.

104 pounds lost so far with this approach.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the occasional protein shake and, if you are especially low on protein, you can mix it with milk for an extra blast. Not sure where you are but if you have access to a Costco, they have a good protein shake Kaizen something or other that comes in chocolate and vanilla. It tastes a little like *kitten* IMHO but it's 35g of protein for under 300 calories mixed with water.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about specific diets, but it seems like other posters have provided you with some resources.

In general, eating more protein helps keep you feeling full for longer. If you think about it, eating a 150 cal chicken breast will be much more filling than eating 150 cal of pretzels. Also, eating more protein can help prevent or at least slow down the loss of lean muscle mass which often happens to people who are dieting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Phinney and Volek (Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) advise finding your correct protein level for your goal weight (at TDEE) and sticking to it. The macro percentage of your dietary foods will change based on how much you eat but the actual amount of protein should stay about the same.

In the below chart, you can see that the protein amounts are set for the total calories burned and not the calories eaten. In the adapt phase, when one is eating 1400 kcal, protein ia 20% of all calories burned BUT it is 40% of what you eat because half of all calories burned is body fat.

fb_img_1454689621190.jpg

Low carbers consider carbs a ceiling you want to stay below but protein is a goal you want to hit. While losing my protein intake goal was 80-90g. On maintenance my goal is 80-90g. I have a hard time getting in that much protein and so I need to add protein powder. It's a good cheat for me. I just add it into coffee throughout my day.

The amounts you mention seem high. The minimum protein amounts I've seen for someone who is active and trying to gain muscle is 0.5-0.8 g, and up to 1g per pound. If not active the minimum protein intake is 0.36 g per pound. These are for your ideal body weight and not for what you weigh right now. You can always go a bit higher if in doubt.

If you are eating 147g of protein, and you are active, that means your ideal body weight is somewhere between 147 lbs and 294 lbs. You are probably eating at the high end of what your body needs. You may be able to cut back a bit on protein.

I also wanted to add that it is best to just go with yor reduced appetite, to a point. The extreme reduction in hunger does not last and your appetite will increase - although probably not to where it was before. Enjoy it for now. :)

Good luck.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Carbs are protein sparing - your body's preferred fuel.
    So if you have carbs to burn for energy taking protein for fuel (whether from food or from lean mass) is less likely.

Part of the reason recovery drinks after extreme exercise are often 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein.
    This.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Phinney and Volek (Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) advise finding your correct protein level for your goal weight (at TDEE) and sticking to it. The macro percentage of your dietary foods will change based on how much you eat but the actual amount of protein should stay about the same.

In the below chart, you can see that the protein amounts are set for the total calories burned and not the calories eaten. In the adapt phase, when one is eating 1400 kcal, protein ia 20% of all calories burned BUT it is 40% of what you eat because half of all calories burned is body fat.

fb_img_1454689621190.jpg

Low carbers consider carbs a ceiling you want to stay below but protein is a goal you want to hit. While losing my protein intake goal was 80-90g. On maintenance my goal is 80-90g. I have a hard time getting in that much protein and so I need to add protein powder. It's a good cheat for me. I just add it into coffee throughout my day.

The amounts you mention seem high. The minimum protein amounts I've seen for someone who is active and trying to gain muscle is 0.5-0.8 g, and up to 1g per pound. If not active the minimum protein intake is 0.36 g per pound. These are for your ideal body weight and not for what you weigh right now. You can always go a bit higher if in doubt.

If you are eating 147g of protein, and you are active, that means your ideal body weight is somewhere between 147 lbs and 294 lbs. You are probably eating at the high end of what your body needs. You may be able to cut back a bit on protein.

I also wanted to add that it is best to just go with yor reduced appetite, to a point. The extreme reduction in hunger does not last and your appetite will increase - although probably not to where it was before. Enjoy it for now. :)

Good luck.

while I'm not a low carber - this is what I do with my protein - it stays fixed at 140g a day - which is between 22 and 26% depending on where in my carb cycle I am
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Well, this is only day 4 (tracking my meals), so I'm still doing the eggs & bacon thing in the morning, until I get some leftovers. I can only eat 2 eggs and can't image eating a third. Either scrambled in butter with bacon, or a cheese omelette. Also maybe a 1/4C pecans or cream cheese on celery.

I bought a 4-pack of pork loin chops, 8oz each. I had two the first night and thought I was going to explode, then one each other night. Either fried cabbage, salad, or broccoli & cheese sauce as a side. Some berries in cream or maybe pecans fried in butter for dessert.

Tonight I was planning on grilled chicken thighs on a salad of lettuce and spinach, some tomato & onion, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole, and some hot sauce or other heat that I can get away with. I was thinking 2 thighs, but that would only bring me up to 75g protein. I can probably handle, or maybe even want, a third, which would take it up to 92g.

I have no appetite during the day or evenings (really ever), so just have a cup of broth midday and late evening. I'm kinda doing a 14/10 IF, maybe sliding to 12/12 if dinner gets pushed back. It's more out of convenience with skipping lunch, but I'm also hoping it will help with ketosis.

I could probably eat more cheese (or something) if I really need to add 20-30g of protein. But more eggs in the morning or more meat at night is not really an appetizing option.

I'm actually following more of an old Atkins diet for losing weight (it seems), so I'm not cramming extra fat at this point - just adding it liberally.

Thanks.

PS. before my diet was high carb, high fat, always hungry or eating out of habit. Lots of fast food and snacks. And my home cooked dinners were so tasty I'd go back for seconds or thirds. No energy and always tired and taking pain relievers and anti-acid. After 1 week low carb (day 4 on this site), my appetite is suppressed, plenty of energy, never crashing, feel light on my feet, no pain, no heartburn, and even more regular ...

Glad low carb is working well for you!

If you're full on those two meals a day, great. You could always add in a low carb protein bar mid afternoon or before bedtime if you want more calories & protein. Or cheese, like you said.

I'm a little concerned that your deficit is too big, but that might be a subject for another thread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I usually have a 2 egg omelet (with vegetables) for breakfast. I agree 2 eggs isn't that high protein, so I normally have some plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese too, or else some smoked salmon.

2 8-oz pork chops seems like a crazy amount of food to me too. Are you including the weight of the bone? If so, you shouldn't -- the nutrition information is generally without the bone. 8 oz would have 44 g of protein, so 2 would be 88 -- one reason I asked is I'm wonder if you are using the right entries. (You may have package information which would be nice, but then you need to make sure you aren't misapplying it as with the bone thing as one possibility.) I do pork chops and they are quite a good source of protein and I generally eat about 150 g.

Two thighs is a tough measure. I normally do it with weight, but my estimate has 64 g for 2 thighs. For one meal if you get about 30 at lunch and breakfast, that's plenty. Remember green vegetables and nuts and so on will add a few grams too.

Broth will often have some protein too.

Yeah, I admit I'd struggle to hit protein on 2 meals, which is one reason I stick to my three, that and getting enough veg. I hate snacking (personal thing, don't deny it works for others).

My approach to keto (which I tried for a while, like I think I said I'm back at around 100 g carbs now) was hit protein, aim for around 50 g carbs, and the rest from fat. I think of the 75% as from maintenance (my maintenance is about 2000 and then deduct the calorie deficit from there, as you are getting the rest from body fat. So in theory I'd get about 1500 calories from fat at maintenance, but only about 1000 at a deficit, so I aimed for around 100-110 g of fat. (That's what I had trouble with, I was usually over on protein.)

Anyway, good luck. You may be eating more protein than you realized.
  • richb178
    Options
    Good luck.

Hey nvmomketo.

Thanks for that chart! That's just what I was looking for. After hearing about LCHF on Friday, I think I did see something like that, but I've spent 10's of hours watching videos trying to find it again with no luck. Like I said, I should probably buy a book. Now I just need to figure out how to adjust my macros.

Btw, I'm 6'-4" and my healthy BMI weight is around 190, but I'm getting older and probably won't reach that, plus I'll probably have some loose skin (yuk). I've seen protein recommendations from 69g to over 250g (thanks to incomplete info and incorrect or ambiguous instructions). I feel good about what I'm eating now - not forcing more.

Anyway, had some mild hunger pangs during the day, so I may already be ready to bring something light for lunch tomorrow.
  • richb178
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I usually have a 2 egg omelet (with vegetables) for breakfast. I agree 2 eggs isn't that high protein, so I normally have some plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese too, or else some smoked salmon.
    Yeah, I added spinach this morning. I'll check the carbs on greek yogurt and cottage cheese, as I love those.

2 8-oz pork chops seems like a crazy amount of food to me too. Are you including the weight of the bone? If so, you shouldn't -- the nutrition information is generally without the bone. 8 oz would have 44 g of protein, so 2 would be 88 -- one reason I asked is I'm wonder if you are using the right entries. (You may have package information which would be nice, but then you need to make sure you aren't misapplying it as with the bone thing as one possibility.) I do pork chops and they are quite a good source of protein and I generally eat about 150 g.
    Yeah, two almost blew me up. I was trying to reach that high protein recommendation. They were loin chops, so no bone. No package info, and the entry I used said 48g each.

Two thighs is a tough measure. I normally do it with weight, but my estimate has 64 g for 2 thighs. For one meal if you get about 30 at lunch and breakfast, that's plenty. Remember green vegetables and nuts and so on will add a few grams too.
    Wow, that is way higher than the "verified" entries I used. I checked several, and they were 17g per 4oz thigh (no skin). I'm relying on the existing entries, using verified ones when possible, and trying to log every bite, but I could very well be eating more or less than reported.

Thanks. I think I've just about got this figured out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Why am I recommended to eat more protein while I'm fat and overweight than when I am at a healthy weight?

You're not. Advice is generally given as X grams of protein intake per pound/kilogram of *lean* body mass. Your lean body mass will (hopefully!) stay relatively stable during your weight loss journey.

Sometimes its phrased as "per pound bodyweight", but that is almost always in a specific context of leanness.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

Hey nvmomketo.

Thanks for that chart! That's just what I was looking for. After hearing about LCHF on Friday, I think I did see something like that, but I've spent 10's of hours watching videos trying to find it again with no luck. Like I said, I should probably buy a book. Now I just need to figure out how to adjust my macros.

Btw, I'm 6'-4" and my healthy BMI weight is around 190, but I'm getting older and probably won't reach that, plus I'll probably have some loose skin (yuk). I've seen protein recommendations from 69g to over 250g (thanks to incomplete info and incorrect or ambiguous instructions). I feel good about what I'm eating now - not forcing more.

Anyway, had some mild hunger pangs during the day, so I may already be ready to bring something light for lunch tomorrow.

Try joining the Low Carber Daily MFP group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group They are a great bunch of people and a WEALTH of information. The LCD also has a great "Launch Pad" stickies with lists of low carb resources and books.

Speaking of books, the old Atkins book is a good source of info. An easy read is Keto Clarity (below 50g of carbs per day) by Jimmy Moore. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek has a lot of good info.

Also, look up low carb conferences like Breckenridge (sp?) this past year. There are many great videos on youtube by the experts.

Good luck again. :)
  • richb178
    Options
    Thanks again, nvmomketo. I should have posted this question there, but I didn't realize I had already be given access (I was expecting a notification). I truly believe LCHF is the proper diet for humans and I could have avoided a bit of HCLFHP noise if I had done so. ;)