Quitting Smoking, But Terrified Of Gaining!

Options
2»

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wow good for you! (And everyone else here that quit too!!)

I completely agree with everyone that says find something to replace it with something healthy when you feel a craving come on.

I read in a health magazine (sorry I don't have a reference lol) that exercise helps overcome the cravings, for example go walk around the block when you would normally go outside to smoke.

For me what worked (and avoided weight gain yay!) was to drink a cup of coffee (black) every time I had a craving, because it gave me the "buzz" I was looking for but had no calories.

The advice to brush and floss your teeth is also a REALLY REALLY good one, both for dieting and quitting cigarettes because it takes the right amount of time and it's much easier to resist when your mouth is clean.

Now I use a cup of tea for any cravings I have (food or otherwise). By the time I heat up water, steeped the tea and begin drinking it the craving has passed but also I kept busy with the process of making it. I don't use any milk or sweetener however so it's a calorie free indulgence.

As your lifestyle becomes more healthy and you start feeling the positive and healthy repurcussions it becomes easier to make the right choices, just whatever you do be aware of what your choosing to do when the cravings hit... people gain weight because they feel hungrier so make the choice to grab something healthy like veggies or fruit that way you fuel your body not replace poison with more poison.

Oh and I went cold turkey nearly 4 years ago!
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    I quit smoking and started running in September last year. Strange combination perhaps, but running for miles and miles without beeing tired is alot better feeling than having a cigarette after dinner.

Oh and ive lost 26 kg, and about 16 of them after smoking my last cigarette.

You can do it.

Not strange to me. It was easiest for me to be healthiest when i was exercising. Seemed wasteful to run and then eat like crap :)
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi all! I'm on my last pack of cigarettes. If I'm going to lose the weight I want by June, I feel like I should make the full commitment to my health. However, I'm really concerned I'm going to gain!! Anyone have a success story to share about quitting and still losing? Tips? And how'd you do it?

I guess I can't call myself a success (yet), but I'm heading in the right direction.
    I quit smoking December 5. With the holidays coming on, I gave myself permission to not worry about weight loss, have my last hurrah with the beer, and concentrate on not smoking.
    My quit method was the patch. I used my last patch one week ago.

Taking on smoking cessation and weight loss at the same time can be overwhelming, but yet concentrating on your food intake and logging might keep your mind from the smokes.

A couple of suggestions that helped me:
    • Don't worry about exercising (especially aerobics) for at least a month. Give your lungs time to heal. If you start now, you could run out of breath too soon, and you could become discouraged.
    • Drink lots of water. Water curbs appetite, flushes out your system, and helps your metabolism. Beware, you'll get lots of exercise running to the bathroom.
    • Reward yourself. You're taking on some major tasks, you deserve rewards for the little success.
    • Don't beat yourself up if you relapse. We're human, humans screw up. Just give it an "oh well" and start over the next day.
    • Take advantage of the support you'll get here, either personal responses to your successes, or encouraging words from the posts.

You've taken the first step, anything's possible!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    Great posts and congratulations to all. My last was Aug 17, 2000 after a neurosurgeon told me to stop!

You won't believe how the world smells, including food and smokers. I think the great smell and taste helps some gain. I didn't, at least then, you don't have to. CICO doesn't know if you smoke.

For me there's a couple of stages. At first it was not fun, then you start to smell things. Little changes to get your mind in a good place. It gets a little easier for a while. You, or I at least, will get tested. Don't worry just remember why you are making this positive change! Good luck.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I had a college professor who said he grew a mustache when he stopped smoking so that he would have something to fiddle with around his mouth. He told us that's part of why people smoke. I've never smoked, but I find that exercise helps keep me from eating because it is hard to sit around eating when you are exercising.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The most important thing is that you quit smoking.

Smoking is far worse for you than being overweight is (generally speaking).

I quit smoking, then when that was under control, lost weight.

When I was quitting smoking, when I had an urge to get up and go for a cigarette, instead I got up and went and did some chores.

The first three days I did 15 loads of washing! My house was so tidy.

After those three days, I knew I'd conquered my smoking habit.

I still kept up the plan of getting up to do chores when an urge hit me. This eventually led to me falling in love with exercise, and becoming a runner.

My top tip other than getting up to do chores would be:

Be prepared to go insane for one day (your first day without smoking).

Gear up for it to be really really hard. I was expecting my world to end, but it was only 24 hours, and then YAY, I was incredibly happy I'd achieved it.
  • arunks91
    arunks91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I quit smoking a month ago an it's been great so far. I don't think you should be worried about weight gain at all because quitting smoking on it's own does not contribute to weight gain. Weight gain happens because you choose food to replace the oral fixation you originally had when you used to smoke.

Try avoiding greasy foods right after you quit smoking. This is because smoking affects the digestive process and you could end up with acidity ( this could happen with regular foods as well). Make sure you incorporate adequate amounts of fiber in your diet and also drink plenty of water.

Quitting smoking would be the best thing you've ever done for yourself. I was a compulsive smoker for 5 years and I used to smoke close to 10 cigarettes a day. Ever since I quit about a month ago, I've started feeling stronger, I think I look much better, your face stops looking pale and there is some colour to it ( Sometimes I just feel like staring at myself these days). You could face mild insomnia ( Again every person experiences symptoms a little differently), but cut down on the caffeine as this could also increase acidity.

Since you've decided to, you should quit. The symptoms aren't as bad as they are made out to be and I haven't had any cravings at all. The symptoms are all in your head because you think your life is going to be less enjoyable without it and you end up feeling like you're missing out on something while that is not actually the case. So good luck to you and enjoy feeling healthy, relatively wealthier and relatively, okay lets say absolutely more beautiful.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Options
    Thanks MFP tribe. You guys offer some seriously good advice along with valuable motivation!
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago and weigh 20lbs less....it's all in your hands. Stay focused on what's really important, set the goal and do it......you got this!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if you keep yourself busy, you'll be fine. When I quit, I found that the only times that I really wanted a cigarette were when I was bored. When you quit, you tend to replace that void with snacks. All things you already know...

So to combat both, just get up and go for a walk or better yet, get a fidget device - something that will keep your hands busy.
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm on my last pack of cigarettes. If I'm going to lose the weight I want by June, I feel like I should make the full commitment to my health. However, I'm really concerned I'm going to gain!! Anyone have a success story to share about quitting and still losing? Tips? And how'd you do it?

I don't no where you are from but in the UK at any pharmacy you can sign up for smoke free and they start you off on patched and mints which takes niggle away and instead of going for a cigarette hit the gym for an hour. That's what helped me
  • richamor
    richamor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In 2003 I threw what was left of my last pack out the window on the way home. I gained 20 pounds over the next few months. My doctor told me the weight was better than the cigarettes. After about 6 months I decided that the smoking was a non issue and work on the weight. I lost 30 lbs with a simple diet and moderate exercise.
    But....me being me I gained about 10 of it back when I quit the exercise and my weight has been a stable 175ish ever since. Which is about what it was when I quit smoking.
    Now I am at the age (61) I want to lose a few pounds and run around in the yard with my 6yo grandson. So on the exercise/diet regimen again. This time long term I think.
    Congrats on the quitting and don't be embarrassed or ashamed if you falter. I quit for years before I was finally able to say I'm a non-smoker. Put the smokes down and just tell yourself "why do I want a cigarette I don't smoke". It worked for me. And stay away from smokers at first.
    And prepare to be amazed at how much money you save, how your food tastes, how the world smells, and how much better you feel about yourself.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Options
    richamor wrote: »
    In 2003 I threw what was left of my last pack out the window on the way home. I gained 20 pounds over the next few months. My doctor told me the weight was better than the cigarettes. After about 6 months I decided that the smoking was a non issue and work on the weight. I lost 30 lbs with a simple diet and moderate exercise.
    But....me being me I gained about 10 of it back when I quit the exercise and my weight has been a stable 175ish ever since. Which is about what it was when I quit smoking.
    Now I am at the age (61) I want to lose a few pounds and run around in the yard with my 6yo grandson. So on the exercise/diet regimen again. This time long term I think.
    Congrats on the quitting and don't be embarrassed or ashamed if you falter. I quit for years before I was finally able to say I'm a non-smoker. Put the smokes down and just tell yourself "why do I want a cigarette I don't smoke". It worked for me. And stay away from smokers at first.
    And prepare to be amazed at how much money you save, how your food tastes, how the world smells, and how much better you feel about yourself.

I've heard that about the tastes and smells being richer! I wish I could avoid smokers all together, just for my own willpower, but the fiancee is a smoker. I'm hoping that if he see's me quit, and stick to it, he'll decide to follow along. Thanks for sharing your story, and best of luck on your weight loss journey!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I used Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit and it helped me change my mindset so it wasn't at all difficult. I enjoyed quitting once I realized the fact that it wasn't that I could never smoke again but that I didn't HAVE to smoke ever again. I still get a little happy feeling inside when I think that. I used to say that it was the best thing I ever did but then I read his book about alcohol. Couldn't possibly be prouder of myself or happier!

Good luck!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Just wanted to throw an update out there, for anyone else reading this later....
    I've been ciggy free for 5 months now. My running times are constantly increasing, and I LOVE not being chained to a pack of smokes and lighter anymore.
    Thanks for those of you who threw me tips, so much appreciated!!!

That is amazing!!!! Nice job, I am so happy for you :smiley: thank you for updating!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I switched to vaping and counted calories to make sure I didn't go over just to be putting things in my mouth. Did not gain weight.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw an update out there, for anyone else reading this later....
    I've been ciggy free for 5 months now. My running times are constantly increasing, and I LOVE not being chained to a pack of smokes and lighter anymore.

Congrats on your quit! Tomorrow marks my 7 months smoke-free- sadly I did gain back some of my hard fought loss. I know what to do though and I'll get back to where I was and go forward.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »

Congrats on your quit! Tomorrow marks my 7 months smoke-free- sadly I did gain back some of my hard fought loss. I know what to do though and I'll get back to where I was and go forward.

Congratulations on your 7 months! That is amazing, there is no doubt you will get rid of the pounds with that determination and hard work you so clearly posses!