Depression

Options
13»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "It's hard to know what to do when you just feel like you're in a big black maze and you have no idea which path to take and can't see signs of light in any direction."

Yes. So much this. Plus a complete lack of motivation or hope.
    I know I should do something, anything, but the only thing I want to do is go back to bed.
    Then I can't sleep, or I sleep 14 hours a day.
    Not hungry, nothing tastes good so why eat? So why can't I lose weight?
  • dana0803
    dana0803 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This IS a great thread! After my 21-year marriage ended in 2013, I went through 2 other romantic relationships, and both ended. Much of that was due to my anxiety and depression, I believe - the way that I act (clingy, needing external validation, etc.) when I'm anxious has GOT to be a burden for whomever I'm with. At any rate, I've gone on Lexapro again and I'm seeing a therapist (count me among the group that goes off meds when I'm doing well). I think both are helping a good bit. I'm out of bed every day, and I don't cry daily, as I did before. I'd really like to be able to have healthy self-esteem, but I don't. I'm hoping the therapist will be able to help me with that some.
    Thank you, KatyDougherty, for sharing your progress - that you've realized you're perfectly fine without a man. :-) I'm working on getting to that place.

Dana
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Just over a week into taking Fluoxetine, I've noticed that I'm waking up in the night a lot more all of a sudden. Has anybody else experienced this?

I've never been on Fluoxetine but these Meds we take can have some shady side effects :( They can affect your sleep pattern for sure.... They take a few weeks to get to work on upping your happy hormones so please try and stick with them... Remember, you will be able to make it yourself one day :)
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Grr...MFP just ate my whole story!

WARNING: long story with potentially divisive content ahead

I fought situational depression, triggered by a bad medical report, for just under five years. After a couple of years of crying it out, trying to brighten my life with sunlight and journaling, I had an epiphany with the help of my best friend. She taught me that my faith would be what pulled me out of the darkness as we prayed and studied Scripture and inspirational stories together. Later, she would invite me to a prayer and mentoring group whose leader understands depression. That person would prophesy over my life that one of my deepest prayers would be answered in a new way. The next day, I was in the bathroom, of all places, and saw the below notice/sign in my spirit (It's sloppily drawn because I was so excited at the time.). The "new way" happened in that the gray clouds that hung over my life for so long parted before my eyes instead of requiring traditional medicine and therapy.
    ll142hdhk73l.png
  • SheriffMichelle
    SheriffMichelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been on a bunch of different meds but I am finally on one I really like that also doesn't make me feel like it makes me gain weight. I am on Trintellix. My thing is that if I can force myself to get up and get to the gym, then I am good. The initial push is always the hardest. I forced myself to go to the gym practically every day for 21 days to build a habit. When I go to the gym I find that I will naturally want to eat better, and when I eat better my mood improves. Also, I HAVE to get sleep in. If I don't sleep that hardcore bogs me down. So I have become slightly less fun with my friends in the evenings because I leave early to sleep but ehhh oh well.
  • That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I suffer with depression / anxiety/ panic disorder. I take Celexa and Xanax. It does help if I can just force myself to work out. The first 10 or 15 mins of working out is difficult but after that it is like my anxiety just goes away for a while.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It is wonderful what a moving body can do to get my mind into a better state. That first effort to start moving can be real. This is why people with animals that have to be let out daily seem to live longer I guess.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression the majority of my life (as well as with my weight), I'm currently on a cocktail of meds (wellbutrin, abilify, and topamax) and just this week started fluoxetine for "intrusive thoughts."
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also deal with mental health issues of major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder with a generous side of panic attacks, and post-traumatic stress disorder. I am on Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and take anti-anxiety medications as needed. I am also involved in cognitive-behavioral talk therapy.

One thing that helps me quite a bit is not only keeping the food log, but a diary entry as well. It is important to look at the whole person and not just the physical side of things. I have learned a lot about myself on here and encourage everyone to take their whole selves into account.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Are there any fellow MPFers who suffer from depression on here? I've just been put back on fluoxetine and struggle with low self-esteem. My lifting and fitness routine help greatly in terms of endorphin release etc. but I still have trouble transferring the benefits of a better body to the mind, so to speak.

How is Prozac? Any bad side effects?
  • Runninjustincase
    Runninjustincase Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with severe depression and anxiety most of my life. I'm also Borderline and have had a serious suicide attempt. Meds obviously help me but right now I only take Xanax but am back in therapy. EMDR has helped me process through a lot of my childhood abuse and trauma in other forms. Also, CBT helps me a lot. If you can find a couple of close supporting friends that you can talk with, that may help also. It's not easy for us and we've got to be here for another. If you ever want to talk send me a pm.
  • Kasey_1994
    Kasey_1994 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have suffered mental health issues for over 13 years now and have been diagnosed with dysthymia and OCPD. In addition to this, I am being tested for aspergers (still a better diagnosis than the original one I had for 10 years - bipolar disorder). I am not currently on any medication as my psychiatrist won't prescribe anything while I undergo testing but have previously tried 10 different medications and still struggle daily to some degree.
    Trying to take care of yourself whilst you're not mentally 100% is the hardest thing. You're doing well to even be exercising!
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Are there any fellow MPFers who suffer from depression on here? I've just been put back on fluoxetine and struggle with low self-esteem. My lifting and fitness routine help greatly in terms of endorphin release etc. but I still have trouble transferring the benefits of a better body to the mind, so to speak.

How is Prozac? Any bad side effects?

None so far except that I keep waking up several times during the night.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Anyone take or has taken Bupropion XL 150mg? (Wellbutrin generic) I just started this last night. I didn't sleep very good, up at 4am, felt a slight period of being very awake a bit after taking it but then fell asleep, but still up and awake at 4am. Ugh! I guess the 150mg dose is fairly low to start she said and I go back to see her in about 3 weeks so hopefully I'll feel something good by then. I also take Lithium and Latuda but those two alone just weren't doing it entirely. I told her on my last visit that being medicated I 'feel' like I should feel better than this. That if this is the 'good enough' that I get then that's just not enough. I don't expect meds to be a quick fix or cure all but I just need something to take the edge off so to speak. To lift the mood a little, make the lows not so bad. I want to say for example only 2 days this week felt blah not all 7, week after week, month after month etc.

So how's everyone else doing? Well I hope!
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    @81Katz you said you just started the Bupropion last night - does that mean you took it last night? From my understanding (as a Bupropion user) you're supposed to take it in the morning because of the sleep disruption. Maybe you could try it in the morning next time you take it and see if that helps you sleep. Good luck to you.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    My PCP/NP said to try the Bupropion at night first but that I could go to days or early afternoons if my sleep was getting interrupted. Honestly, I think the sleep problems stem from the Latuda. My random waking up started with the Latuda. It doesn't happen every night but more so than preferred. I just randomly wake up, feel wide awake, alert, ready to 'go go go' then I eventually crash mid morning or early afternoon and just feel tired and sluggish. It's annoying. I really don't think the Latuda is doing much honestly but I'm toughing it out until my next visit to see if this cocktail will help things improve so to speak.

I have 2-3 labs done a year with the Lithium. Can't recall all they test, but kidney function panel, lithium levels, etc.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it! :)

• moya_bleh
    Options
    Insomnia is finally beginning to subside!
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Super happy to hear that. Side effects of anti-depressants are super *kitten* but they normally all disappear eventually. I have been on Venlafaxine for a few years now after trying every other one out there...They are good to me :)
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fish oil tablets x4 a day
  • moya_bleh
    Options
    Bump!