MacGregor vs. Mayweather

Options

Replies

• erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I expect Mayweather to win by decision. Wouldn't be surprised if McGregor gasses after a few rounds. 12 3-minute rounds of boxing is a long time. Mayweather is a defensive boxer - McGregor isn't going to touch him. Not a Mayweather fan at all, but McGregor would have to land a one in a million shot imo. McGregor knows what he's up against and is doing it for the media coverage and pay day. In the meantime, I'm enjoying all the trash talk :smile:

Gasses out???? Hahaha do you the insane amount of cardio it takes to last 5 rounds in mma? It takes way more endurance than boxing. Mayweather is a chump and will go down as one.

This is not true. Both take incredible amount of endurance. But boxers sustained heart rate is much higher for far longer periods of time. They fight at close distance constantly which causes pressure. When an MMA fighter actually closes the fight distance gap it either means the fight is over, or they have went to the ground. While still working it's not the same.

I know very well what it takes to get through combat rounds. But I will say this, most MMA fighters gas out easily in a pure boxing round, and most boxers gas out easily in a pure MMA round. It's just a case of not having mastered what you are doing.

I will happily bet you Connor will win of you'd like.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »
    I don't think he cares to be honest. He just wants the pay packet, and with a pay packet like that, who can blame him? I just hope he doesn't get killed!

How exactly would McGregor "get killed"? Have you watched any Mayweather fights over the past 6-7 years?

For this fight, Mayweather is going to dance around, pepper him with harmless punches with his 10 oz gloves that will score points, and clinch. McGregor will chase him around, and if he doesn't run out of gas, will lose a lopsided decision, but won't even feel like he has been in a fight afterward. And both men will get richer.

By the way, if this was a street fight or a UFC fight, McGregor would either knock him out, submit him, or choke him out in about 45 seconds.

Yes, McGregor would beat Floyd easily in an MMA fight as well as in the street,I agree. That's exactly why he's taking the easy money and fighting McGregor on his terms. But if you don't think McGregor is not gonna get busted up bad in this fight, you haven't been watching Mayweather either. It's not like Floyd does not have power, he just chose to fight safe using the best defense in the game when he went up against other world class boxers, something McGregor is not even close to being. McGregor's fights for his career have averaged 5 mins per fight.....Mayweather has averaged 33. As bad *kitten* as McGregor is, and yes I do believe he is, if this fight go us past 5 rounds he is gonna be so gassed from trying to hit Mayweather and getting pot shotted at will, he's gonna just be target practice until the ref either stops it or he gets knocked out. As far as the gloves go....the ounces of the gloves have more to do with hand protection than it does for damage inflicted. Am MMA fighter may never in his career throw as many punches in his career as a boxer does in one 12 rd fight. That's why they use bigger gloves. But the impact of throwing a heavier object at the head.....heavier gloves....is actually more likely to cause more brain movement on impact causing concussion or knockout than if with 4 oz gloves or even bare fist.

When I watched the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, I saw two men who were not really attempting to knock each other out. Possessing knockout power is useless if Mayweather refuses to get into meaningful exchanges. Is this a smart strategy? Absolutely. Will it win the fight against McGregor. Probably. Is it exciting? Not at all, I would rather watch two unknowns aggressively going after each other in a boxing or MMA fight than two elite boxers playing patty-cake for 12 rounds.

McGregor's conditioning will be the key factor. I wouldn't assume he will come in out of shape just because he hasn't gone long in most of his fights. UFC rounds are 5 minutes, and those extra 2 minutes at the end of a round (when a boxer gets to rest after 3) are brutal. In preparation for this fight, McGregor isn't training kicks, wrestling, martial arts, submissions, etc., which an MMA fighter must do, he is just training boxing, and attaining a level of conditioning specific to boxing.

I disagree on the gloves. Getting hit on the chin by 4 oz gloves is going to cause more trauma than 10 oz gloves, and MMA gloves inflict more cuts. If boxers used MMA gloves you wouldn't be seeing all of these fights going the distance. You are right that holding your hands up and throwing punches with bigger gloves requires better conditioning, though.

Well its sports science that concludes that getting hit with heavier things in the head will cause more trauma then getting hit with lighter things. I will say that yes a smaller glove or bare fist can cause more cuts, but as a fighter and trainer of fighters for 30+ yrs I will tell you cuts aren't all that big of a deal in determining performance, especially with a competent cut man. Sustained battering is a huge factor though.....and that's what boxers face.

I agree I would rather watch 2 game fighters going for it trying like hell to win a fight and not playing a cautious game. But even mentioning that does not pertain to the McGregor Mayweather fight. An unskilled boxer, who is tough as nails, against world class boxer that will be able to do whatever he wants to him. Canelo Alvarez who is one of the most feared punchers and boxers in the game looked like a child in their with Floyd.....it's gonna be a whitewash.

I have done this on a pro and amateur level for well over 30 yrs. I even teach striking in an MMA gym in NY and get to roll a little with them. It's not a fair fight.....and it's not because one sport is any better than the other. Just because both men are fighters doesn't mean they are interchangeable in any way.

I'll explain it this way. If you were to take Tom Brady, one of the best QB's of all time....and Jerry Rice, arguably the best wide receiver of all time....and put them in a passing competition to see who the best football player is, it's not a fair competition. Not saying Rice can't throw a ball, but not like a QB......doesn't make Rice any less great, just not a great QB. That's all this is with this fight. I personally like McGregor far more than Mayweather, but that doesn't make him any more likely to win this fight.

Here is a hypothetical, drawing on your fighting background - let's say you are walking out of the gym on a given night, and a guy approaches you and picks a fight with you; you know him and that he has some fighting skills, and that the fight is inevitable. You have a pair of 10 oz gloves in the gym bag you are carrying. If you had a moment and could do it safely, would you put your boxing gloves on before the fight? Do you think having those gloves on would give you an advantage over a bare knuckle fighter?

I look at it this way... similar amount of power being dispersed over a larger or smaller area (size of glove) the one with the smaller area will have more pressure as the force is being spread out over a smaller surface area. (think waling into a wall, vs the corner of a table, the corner hurts much more as all of the impact is focused on a smaller area.
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    MCGREGOR ALL THE WAY BABY!
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    That *kitten* going to end in two seconds.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I need to go to a bar and watch that *kitten*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That *kitten* going to end in two seconds.

Nah...it'll likely go the distance and be a typical boring Mayweather fight...he'll dance around and land nickle and dime punches for points while McGregor throws flailing haymakers through the air looking completely ridiculous...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover, not a fighter.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »
    I don't think he cares to be honest. He just wants the pay packet, and with a pay packet like that, who can blame him? I just hope he doesn't get killed!

How exactly would McGregor "get killed"? Have you watched any Mayweather fights over the past 6-7 years?

For this fight, Mayweather is going to dance around, pepper him with harmless punches with his 10 oz gloves that will score points, and clinch. McGregor will chase him around, and if he doesn't run out of gas, will lose a lopsided decision, but won't even feel like he has been in a fight afterward. And both men will get richer.

By the way, if this was a street fight or a UFC fight, McGregor would either knock him out, submit him, or choke him out in about 45 seconds.

Exactly this. Mayweather only hits women hard.

Hahahahaha dddaaaayyyuummmm

Preach it.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would take a 100 year old Mayweather over MCGREGOR any day. Mayweather will KO McGregor in the 5th round after playing with him for the other four rounds
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Floyd will knock him out or it will be a corner stoppage. Reference Arturo Gatti/Ricky Hatton/Angel Manfredy. He might dance around and hit and clinch against world class top elite boxers, and MacGregor isn't anything close to that. He's literally a 0-0 fighter with no boxing experience at all. Floyd's movement and range control will dominate the fight, and the only thing i can see stopping Floyd from taking him out is breaking his hand. Which he did early in his career and why he no longer went for knockouts. MacGregor's striking in MMA doesn't qualify him for boxing because the stand-up defense is completely different and allows for more open punches to connect. But at the end of the day, this is similar to a wrestling entertainment promotion and who knows if it will even be scripted or not.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Good thing Mayweather can't read all the chit being talked about him ITT.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    McGyver...ftw.

tumblr_obplpqJQVb1uh70wdo1_500.gif
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    If I was MacGregor, I would put up a fence between us. Maybe a brand new fence that looks 10 years old. That way he wouldn't be seen doing his boxing thing in those trunks.