Never able to stick to anything

Options

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Agree that maybe you should start working on "all or nothing". When I started this saying helped me, don't know the origin, but it seemed to come up a lot-

Perfect is the enemy of good.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When weighing, look at the trend over time, not the daily number. Make the best choices food / exercise. Body composition will follow.

Be aware that there can be possible temporary 'weight gain', not necessarily 'fat gain', due water retention (eated to much salt, eated lots of carbs), the body holding onto water when repairing muscles.. food remnants still inside the precious body from previous meal(s)..

Which all can come off in a whoosh..

It's possible aside weighing, to take measurements, add pictures to weigh-ins (phone app myfitnesspal), to see if there's changes in how you look, and from where your precious body takes body fat first for extra energy (your tummy could be the first, or the last place where your body takes energy from when not getting enough from food)..

It's not possible to target where fat loss comes from first, your precious body decides.. ;)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Sassybish wrote: »
    You definitely right, but I am a all or nothing sort of person which sucks sometimes.
    You are the kind of person you repeatedly tell yourself you are. Stop telling yourself you need babysitting, and that you're an all or nothing sort of person. You control your food intake, and you decide whether or not to exercise. I imagine your goals are way ahead, and result based? Set close goals that are behavior based. And have "strict but flexible" instead of "random but restrictive" rules - set your calorie goal correctly, and aim to hit it within +/- 50, and have something you like every day (preferably for every meal). If you exercise, do something you like - then you'll repeat it, and exercise only works if you keep exercising.
    They say it takes 30 days to be able to break or make a habbit, so the first 30 will be the hardest.
    "They" say a lot of things :D Habits are very complex, and sometimes continuing is way harder than starting. "A good habit" isn't just something you think you should do, it has to be something you really need to do, and something you want to do as well. Pick your habits wisely.

Everything you said is totallyon board, and i also know already, but its all ways good to hear it from other too, thankyou
    Knowing and DOING are two different things though. Lots of people know what they need to do to lose weight. It's the DOING IT that's the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sassybish
    Sassybish Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Set up a system and follow it everyday. Set yourself up for success and you'll be less likely to fail. That is what I've done. I've been unsuccessful 99% of the times I've tried to lose weight, but this time I think I'll get to my goal. If you do something like this, you will too, unless you have an underlying medical condition (or 7) that need to be addressed first.
    This is my system. It's not perfect or complete yet, I still need some strategies for when I'm in a bad mood, don't feel like doing anything, or get injured. Today it was raining, and my feet were too sore to wear running shoes, so I walked around the mall for a few hours. If I had a gym membership, I would have gone for a swim or hopped on the bike for half an hour.

1. Get up early
    2. Drink a cup of coffee and have a piece of toast with some peanut butter
    3. Walk 10,000 steps
    4. Have lunch and snacks outside for vitamin D
    5. Drink heaps of liquids (I usually drink up to 8 cups of decaf tea a day)
    6. Make lunch and snacks for the next day in the evening
    7. Try not to eat ridiculous portions
    8. Try to stop eating by 8pm
    9. Charge my fitbit
    10. Go to sleep in my workout clothes

Binging
    2. Load up on photographs or go somewhere and sing along with spotify (in the bath, or on the treadmill) instead of loading up on food (looking at photos gives me so much happiness and I love singing).
    3. Meditate until the feelings pass
    4. Have a bath
    5. Use money I would usually spend on fast food for things like make-up
    6. Get space from the food, visit a friend or something, or even have a nap
    7. Understand that part of my craving is from a lack of dopamine, try to get it some other way (music/photos/pokemon go etc)

Lack of motivation
    -Check my pinterest boards for inspiration and to refocus

Exercise
    1. Get it out of the way so I don't have to think about it
    2. Go trampolining and swimming once a week
    3. Have set exercise commitments with people that I can't break, because I don't want to let them down

Fun Stuff
    1. Set challenges and goals- etc do "*" for 30 days
    2. Inspire others

Know myself
    1. Keep track of binges (old or current), with nutritional information so I'm better informed about the decisions I make

Treat myself
    1. Wear clothing I like
    2. Buy whatever I can afford that will help my progress in losing weight (currently waiting til I get down to 100kg to get a step up bench because that is the weight limit). Do not use tools as rewards.
    3. Do not reward myself with things or experiances, but have them anyway. Accept that the real reward is progress. Reward effort. For example, I got my hair dyed purple yesterday, and to pay for it, I went a few weeks without buying fast food.

Make a list of things that are stopping you from losing weight (triggers, barriers or things you get in the way), and then problem solve how you can fix each of those things. For example here are some of mine:

Are super lazy and hate exercise: do things that are fun. Get help from a professional (PT). Exercise with friends. Walk between places. Do 10-20,000 steps first thing in the morning to get it out of the way.
    Want to eat all the time: Get busy and find distractions
    Obsessed with salt and vinegar chips: eat salt and vinegar rice crackers instead, or pickles in vinegar
    Always hungry: Drink more water, tea and vegetable based soups
    Feel like I can't reach my goals: Try. Reward effort rather than results.

This is awesome defiantly screen shotting for later, thankyou so much! This is great, i hope you do well in your weight loss adventure!
  • Sassybish
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Agree that maybe you should start working on "all or nothing". When I started this saying helped me, don't know the origin, but it seemed to come up a lot-

Perfect is the enemy of good.

Definitely going to try hard at figuring out the origin or a lot of my problems!
  • Sassybish
    Options
    When weighing, look at the trend over time, not the daily number. Make the best choices food / exercise. Body composition will follow.

Be aware that there can be possible temporary 'weight gain', not necessarily 'fat gain', due water retention (eated to much salt, eated lots of carbs), the body holding onto water when repairing muscles.. food remnants still inside the precious body from previous meal(s)..

It's possible aside weighing, to take measurements, add pictures to weigh-ins (phone app myfitnesspal), to see if there's changes in how you look, and from where your precious body takes body fat first for extra energy (your tummy could be the first, or the last place where your body takes energy from when not getting enough from food)..

It's not possible to target where fat loss comes from first, your precious body decides.. ;)

Already started on that, wrote out and drew the places i wanted to change, measured. Not sure how often i should "weigh in" though, some say the more you weigh in, the more likely you aren't going to loose weight? Does anyone know if this is true?

Thankyou also :)
  • Sassybish
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You definitely right, but I am a all or nothing sort of person which sucks sometimes.
    You are the kind of person you repeatedly tell yourself you are. Stop telling yourself you need babysitting, and that you're an all or nothing sort of person. You control your food intake, and you decide whether or not to exercise. I imagine your goals are way ahead, and result based? Set close goals that are behavior based. And have "strict but flexible" instead of "random but restrictive" rules - set your calorie goal correctly, and aim to hit it within +/- 50, and have something you like every day (preferably for every meal). If you exercise, do something you like - then you'll repeat it, and exercise only works if you keep exercising.
    They say it takes 30 days to be able to break or make a habbit, so the first 30 will be the hardest.
    "They" say a lot of things :D Habits are very complex, and sometimes continuing is way harder than starting. "A good habit" isn't just something you think you should do, it has to be something you really need to do, and something you want to do as well. Pick your habits wisely.

Everything you said is totallyon board, and i also know already, but its all ways good to hear it from other too, thankyou
    Knowing and DOING are two different things though. Lots of people know what they need to do to lose weight. It's the DOING IT that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah definitely, but slowly and surely i will get there to completely understanding and physically doing what i should be doing for my body
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Already started on that, wrote out and drew the places i wanted to change, measured. Not sure how often i should "weigh in" though, some say the more you weigh in, the more likely you aren't going to loose weight? Does anyone know if this is true?
    Not true. When you eat at a calorie deficit, you lose weight. Your (water, waste) weight fluctuates from day to day, independently from (fat) weight gain or loss. You will need a few weeks if sticking to your plan in order to see a true loss. How often you should weigh in, is up to preference, as in, how you prefer to get the data. Weighing every day gives you all the ups and downs, weighing weekly gives you one in seven data points. There is no guarantee your weight will be at the same spot in your wave/cycle every time if you weigh weekly. The most consistent results come from daily weigh-ins, in my opinion. But no matter which frequency you choose, you need to understand (at least superficially) and accept (deeply) the fluctuations, and not not act on them. You should only act on your weight trend, and act sensibly.
  • csteuart
    csteuart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please try to change your mindset from on/off a program or that all/nothing thinking mentioned before. You need to allow yourself permission to have/eat/do anything but CHOOSE what is the best option for your goals and health. It's a commitment to making better choices FOREVER that will help you succeed. I will go to any event or restaurant knowing I can make a good choice ...or not. That is 100% in my control. I can choose lean protein and fresh vegetables or I can choose fried food and bread. I "don't" eat worms, just like I "don't" eat french fries (or whatever!)...poor example maybe, but trying to make a point! It's not that I can't have french fries (and do on occassion, btw) or X,Y and Z... but I choose not to (most of the time) because those choices don't help me reach my goals.

Like anything in life, there are consequences for our actions and we need to be responsible with the options we pick. I think alot of us struggle with this. Keep at it and go for progress, not perfection!
  • Elmyra8376
    Elmyra8376 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I am so determined initially , but end up quitting. My husband always tells me too that I don't stick with anything.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your motivations? It looks like your profile is all about looking good and losing weight; are you overweight? What kind of weight loss are you hoping to achieve? What are your goals? It's really hard to cheer someone on without seeing more clearly defined goals. Also, please don't think of "too tight jeans" as punishment; weight is not punishment.

I would seriously advise seeking input from a doctor and maybe a therapist; I'm doing this and it's helping me sooo much.

And if you would like to work on overall health and fitness, start looking at strength training and nutrition, and set yourself some reasonable goals.

Lastly, fatphobia is going to be detrimental to your weight loss goals. Some fat is necessary for healthy bodily function; if you don't change your relationship with weight you will push yourself to extremes that will be unsustainable. Presumably you want something you can stick with long-term.

P.S. I really really hope this didn't come off as condescending; these are things that worked for me. I used to refuse to buy jeans that fit, for years, I berated myself for not being able to lose weight, I starved myself (and then subsequently gained all the weight back), I refused to lift weights, I used both gaining and losing weight as punishment. I still struggle with this, it's never going to be behind me. But in the end, the internal work of physical health is turning out to be way more important for me to change my habits than any amount of peer support ever did.
  • Sassybish
    Options

Not true. When you eat at a calorie deficit, you lose weight. Your (water, waste) weight fluctuates from day to day, independently from (fat) weight gain or loss. You will need a few weeks if sticking to your plan in order to see a true loss. How often you should weigh in, is up to preference, as in, how you prefer to get the data. Weighing every day gives you all the ups and downs, weighing weekly gives you one in seven data points. There is no guarantee your weight will be at the same spot in your wave/cycle every time if you weigh weekly. The most consistent results come from daily weigh-ins, in my opinion. But no matter which frequency you choose, you need to understand (at least superficially) and accept (deeply) the fluctuations, and not not act on them. You should only act on your weight trend, and act sensibly.

This is awesome thankyou
  • Sassybish
    Options
    csteuart wrote: »
    Please try to change your mindset from on/off a program or that all/nothing thinking mentioned before. You need to allow yourself permission to have/eat/do anything but CHOOSE what is the best option for your goals and health. It's a commitment to making better choices FOREVER that will help you succeed. I will go to any event or restaurant knowing I can make a good choice ...or not. That is 100% in my control. I can choose lean protein and fresh vegetables or I can choose fried food and bread. I "don't" eat worms, just like I "don't" eat french fries (or whatever!)...poor example maybe, but trying to make a point! It's not that I can't have french fries (and do on occassion, btw) or X,Y and Z... but I choose not to (most of the time) because those choices don't help me reach my goals.

Like anything in life, there are consequences for our actions and we need to be responsible with the options we pick. I think alot of us struggle with this. Keep at it and go for progress, not perfection!

Yes thankyou, and slowly i am realizing its going to take time, slowly getting out of my old habbits, and old mind sets
  • Sassybish
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I am so determined initially , but end up quitting. My husband always tells me too that I don't stick with anything.

It happens, im learning that the more i look up on the Internet of "how to lose weight" unless a one week challenge, it is going to take more than 1 week. Like me, we've got to start realizing that its a progress, and process. If we think we can just go hard for a week and get our ideal weight goal accomplished, we are dreaming. Look up heaps and heaps of different online "this is my story" or "what to do/not do while trying to lose weight" also look up weight calculators, that can calculate how long it'll take to lose x amount of weight, usually the time span they give you is the healthy way to lose it
  • Sassybish
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah definitely, but slowly and surely i will get there to completely understanding and physically doing what i should be doing for my body
    Honestly this just sounds like a pacifying statement. Your initial OP was to "get ready for summer". Now you want to "slowly" get there after some advice.
    I'll give it to you straight. If you REALLY want to achieve something, you apply yourself with commitment to doing it regardless of setbacks and deterrences. That's how successful people overcome failure. So what is your actual plan to do this? Just eat less and hope it happens? You should have a written specific plan of action on how to do it and then apply it consistently. Till you do that, you'll be like a ship without a rudder..............................wandering aimlessly and occasionally hitting land, then back out to sea.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Loving the sarcasm and the straight up.
    Yes i want to get summer body ready. And yes after advise, and own person homework, it will take time, but doesnt mean im any less committed.

My "actual" plain is to cut out as much sugar as i can. Try eat mainly fruits and vegetables (another reason why ive never full comitted to diets it because im a very fussy eater, but hopefully this will help me and help build up more tastebuds.)
    Exercise as much as i can, not too much where i over do it. Drinking plenty of water.
    Im going for consistency and persistence.
    Happy? Any more criticism?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honestly this just sounds like a pacifying statement. Your initial OP was to "get ready for summer". Now you want to "slowly" get there after some advice.
    I'll give it to you straight. If you REALLY want to achieve something, you apply yourself with commitment to doing it regardless of setbacks and deterrences. That's how successful people overcome failure. So what is your actual plan to do this? Just eat less and hope it happens? You should have a written specific plan of action on how to do it and then apply it consistently. Till you do that, you'll be like a ship without a rudder..............................wandering aimlessly and occasionally hitting land, then back out to sea.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes i want to get summer body ready. And yes after advise, and own person homework, it will take time, but doesnt mean im any less committed.

My "actual" plain is to cut out as much sugar as i can. Try eat mainly fruits and vegetables (another reason why ive never full comitted to diets it because im a very fussy eater, but hopefully this will help me and help build up more tastebuds.)
    Exercise as much as i can, not too much where i over do it. Drinking plenty of water.
    You asked for it :D

Going on diets is almost never a good idea. Don't do it again. You can't "cut sugar and eat mainly fruits and vegetables". There is sugar in fruit and vegetables. Being a fussy eater is not an excuse for being overweight. But trying to stick to strict diets can be partly responsible for your fussiness. Allowing yourself to eat a wide variety of foods you like and being open to try new things, but at the same time not feel forced, will activate your tastebuds, and you will feel more relaxed around new foods, and maybe want to extend your palate.

Don't exercise as much as you can. Exercise as much as you want and find practical in your daily life. You can always try to figure out how to make more exercise a natural part of your day.

Consistency and persistence are fine goals. :smile:
  • Sassybish
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You asked for it :D

Going on diets is almost never a good idea. Don't do it again. You can't "cut sugar and eat mainly fruits and vegetables". There is sugar in fruit and vegetables. Being a fussy eater is not an excuse for being overweight. But trying to stick to strict diets can be partly responsible for your fussiness. Allowing yourself to eat a wide variety of foods you like and being open to try new things, but at the same time not feel forced, will activate your tastebuds, and you will feel more relaxed around new foods, and maybe want to extend your palate.

Don't exercise as much as you can. Exercise as much as you want and find practical in your daily life. You can always try to figure out how to make more exercise a natural part of your day.

Consistency and persistence are fine goals. :smile:

Yes i know sugar is in fruits and veges, but the excess sugar is what im cutting out. And no i will exercise as much as i can, because as much as i want never works, widening my plate isnt what i want. i want to widen my tastebuds in fruit and veges. And they i am going to do that is to restrict my menu and eat what my body needs. Not what it wants, it doesnt help ME. what you suggested might be what worked for you, and others but ive already tried the 'if i want' 'when i want' strategy, and its necer worked. So thankyou for your opinion, but its time to crack down on myself, and limit my eating and what i eat. With an exercise plan. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    No one can do it for you but I find the encouragement from others on here to be great. Just do the best you can and take it one day at a time. Log your foods and exercise and before you know it a week, two weeks and then a month will pass and you will get yourself in to a new routine. I know it's hard because I'm just re-starting again myself as of a week ago but I did it last year and got to goal so I know it can be done.