Seeking specific advice from EXPERIENCED bodybuilders

Options
I'm young. 18 years old, female, 5'5 and 125 pounds. Skinny fat, lean, with a mesomorph frame (I'm not swole but I can lift heavier than most of the non elite natty girls at the gym)
I want to know if what I'm doing is the right thing to see a good recomp (fat down, muscle up). Unfortunately, because I don't know my exact bf percentage I'm not sure whether to strictly cut or bulk first.
My maintenance is around 1600 calories a day I'm assuming with my frame.
I eat super clean, no added salt/sugar/etc etc and not even processed foods.
I eat 1200 calories a day, macros goal counted at 30% carbs 40% protein and 30% fats. Although, if I'm being honest I'm usually around 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat every day.
The first month of doing this) naturally and everything) I lost 5 pounds of fat net and gained 3 pounds of muscle. I don't look super different though. Since then I've continued for about another 2 weeks on this diet (also forgot to mention but I go to the gym 6 days a week, warm up on the treadmill for 10 minutes and lift weights for 50) and I don't really see myself losing belly fat. My arms are slowly but steadily becoming more toned and I am increasing the weights that I lift at at a very fast rate these 2 weeks (I went up on lat pulldowns by 50 pounds etc etc). I used to be a swimmer and I used to do crunches regularly so when I flex and feel my stomach I can feel that it's very hard behind the 1 or so inches of fat in front of it, so I stopped doing straight up crunches since they don't make me lose fat period.
Am I doing anything wrong? I am looking to lean out AND get more muscle than the average girl wants but if I were to state my priority that would be to lose belly fat first. Knowing this, would anyone make changes to my regimen? My caloric intake?
To add I also fast intermittently unintentionally about 3-4 days a week since I have my last meal at around 5pm and eat breakfast the next morning at around 9. I have 3 meals between 9 and 5. Knowing all these specifics about me (mesomorph body, etc if that's helpful at all), I would appreciate ANY advice from those who are experienced. Thanks

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Good advice above and from Niner. Did you mean you have lost weight or just BIA scales or however you are measuring shows the switch in fat vs muscle? Assuming you mean you've lost weight then you will definitely be eating too little.

The other point is to ask if you are following a program or your own creation. To get maximum results you need to on an optimum schedule.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ninerbuff
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    saFit247 wrote: »
    Lots of broscience here. AB exercises are for strengthening abs, not for reducing body fat. And putting on muscle mass meant not only volume work but a SURPLUS of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

1. Broscience can't be completely discounted. A lot of it has a solid foundation of, if nothing else, people who use it successfully.
    2. Direct ab work WILL assist in making the abs visible so don't knock that. It won't be through fat loss, but building the abdominal muscles.

@kvfitnesslog

Unfortunately people store fat in different areas and the only way to get rid of that is to simply get leaner. The idea you can "target" a certain area is false. I'd be curious what your lifting split looks like and if you're doing heavy compound lifts. I'm also dubious that you're only burning 1600 calories a day...have you tried tracking with an apple watch or fitbit or something? Not that they're completely accurate but I've yet to find an online calculator that even comes close to being accurate.

I'd recommend you focus on cutting, then bulking. It is an impossibility to gain muscle while in a deficit unless you're not natural. I cut until I'm in the 9-11%bf range then bulk until I'm roughly 15%. I struggle mentally to accept gaining too much fat in the name of gains.

Hope this helps.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy... safely... increase protein, increase calories if you want to build muscle... more muscle will help burn fat... it takes months and sometimes years to get to the tipping point where you will eventually look in the mirror and say s hit I look awesome... work your program in 12 week increments... take measurements don't rely on a scale... ab fat is not the devil... be patient
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Lots of broscience here. AB exercises are for strengthening abs, not for reducing body fat. And putting on muscle mass meant not only volume work but a SURPLUS of calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1. Broscience can't be completely discounted. A lot of it has a solid foundation of, if nothing else, people who use it successfully.
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. When applying "real science" to it, you'll find out it relates directly to CICO.
    2. Direct ab work WILL assist in making the abs visible so don't knock that. It won't be through fat loss, but building the abdominal muscles.
    The degree of visible abs is DIRECTLY related to body fat % and not ab work. There are lots of competitive body builders who train their abs and even at low body fat, don't have a good looking 6 pack.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of stuff going on here. Why are you aiming for 1200 if your goal is to maintain your weight and recomp? Or are you trying to cut then run a bulk? I think figuring out your goals is going to be the first step. With your stats you can either run a small cut to lower your bodyfat % then bulk, or you can recomp. Which one is better, that will depend on what you are comfortable with and the results you are looking for.

Keep in mind that you may not have the muscle base for sufficient ab definition.. so potentially you will cut and look about the same. So if you have been trying to cut for a while and not seeing results, I would switch to recomp or bulk to build muscle. I see people constantly chasing abs and in the end they end up spinning their wheels.

Are you doing a program at the gym? Working with a PT?

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hey ninerfluff:
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. When applying "real science" to it, you'll find out it relates directly to CICO.
    The degree of visible abs is DIRECTLY related to body fat % and not ab work. There are lots of competitive body builders who train their abs and even at low body fat, don't have a good looking 6 pack.

Also, consorting to making fun of someone's name does show a pretty good degree of immaturity in an otherwise cordial discussion. Stick to facts bro.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff is 100% correct. All the ab work in the world will NOT make your abs visible unless your body fat % is low enough. Honestly I haven't done a sit up or crunch in years, but by BF%, combined with a focus on compound movements in the gym, has not only made my core stronger, but has given me much better aesthetics than direct ab work has ever done.

• kvfitnesslog
    kvfitnesslog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm young. 18 years old, female, 5'5 and 125 pounds. Skinny fat, lean, with a mesomorph frame (I'm not swole but I can lift heavier than most of the non elite natty girls at the gym)
    I want to know if what I'm doing is the right thing to see a good recomp (fat down, muscle up). Unfortunately, because I don't know my exact bf percentage I'm not sure whether to strictly cut or bulk first.
    First, there isn't such a thing as mesomorph. Somatotyping has been debunked since it wasn't even developed by a physiologist by a psychologist. Your shape is your shape just based on genes and body composition.
    I eat 1200 calories a day, macros goal counted at 30% carbs 40% protein and 30% fats. Although, if I'm being honest I'm usually around 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat every day.
    The first month of doing this) naturally and everything) I lost 5 pounds of fat net and gained 3 pounds of muscle.
    Yeah, it's not likely muscle. However you measured your body fat % is likely what also gave you 3lb muscle gain and the reality is that gaining muscle means gaining weight. And you don't gain weight in a surplus. Even if you have great genetics, a 3lb gain by a FEMALE in a deficit is improbable.
    I don't look super different though. Since then I've continued for about another 2 weeks on this diet (also forgot to mention but I go to the gym 6 days a week, warm up on the treadmill for 10 minutes and lift weights for 50) and I don't really see myself losing belly fat. My arms are slowly but steadily becoming more toned and I am increasing the weights that I lift at at a very fast rate these 2 weeks (I went up on lat pulldowns by 50 pounds etc etc). I used to be a swimmer and I used to do crunches regularly so when I flex and feel my stomach I can feel that it's very hard behind the 1 or so inches of fat in front of it, so I stopped doing straight up crunches since they don't make me lose fat period.
    Am I doing anything wrong? I am looking to lean out AND get more muscle than the average girl wants but if I were to state my priority that would be to lose belly fat first. Knowing this, would anyone make changes to my regimen? My caloric intake?
    To add I also fast intermittently unintentionally about 3-4 days a week since I have my last meal at around 5pm and eat breakfast the next morning at around 9. I have 3 meals between 9 and 5. Knowing all these specifics about me (mesomorph body, etc if that's helpful at all), I would appreciate ANY advice from those who are experienced. Thanks
    Based on your height and weight as well as activity, you're likely not losing much body fat because you're not burning enough calories. Swimmers burn a lot of calories. You USED to be a swimmer, so your calorie expenditure isn't as high any more and weight lifting doesn't burn that many calories.
    Also macros are just percentages, however it still comes down to CICO for weight loss. I suspect you don't really measure your food and are guessing the actual calories. So you're likely eating more than you think.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hi, thanks for the reply. You're most likely right about the caloric expenditure. As for the body measurements after a month, I do regular hydrostatic weighing (for the past 3 months or so) and those are what my results come out to. The problem is I still think I have reason to question the body fat percentage they give me since I was told the first few times I was at ~ 19.0, 18.5, and 18 percent body fat but personally, I think I'm a lot higher than that. I continuously struggle to burn my midsection fat. Also, I find cardio to be ineffective (tried it at high intensity the second month) even at high intensity but that could just be me.
    In response to my deficit though, I do measure my food out before I meal prep for the weeks and input it onto fitness pal and this software I use. 1200 is actually a high estimate for me. It's just disappointing to not see the results I want in my midsection when I've been cutting more and more calories out of my diet for months
  • kvfitnesslog
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    The first month of doing this) naturally and everything) I lost 5 pounds of fat net and gained 3 pounds of muscle. I don't look super different though. Since then I've continued for about another 2 weeks on this diet (also forgot to mention but I go to the gym 6 days a week, warm up on the treadmill for 10 minutes and lift weights for 50) and I don't really see myself losing belly fat. My arms are slowly but steadily becoming more toned and I am increasing the weights that I lift at at a very fast rate these 2 weeks (I went up on lat pulldowns by 50 pounds etc etc). I used to be a swimmer and I used to do crunches regularly so when I flex and feel my stomach I can feel that it's very hard behind the 1 or so inches of fat in front of it, so I stopped doing straight up crunches since they don't make me lose fat period.

Your maintenance if you were sedentary would actually be estimated tad more than what you got (BMR 1348 x 1.25 = 1685)

But you aren't sedentary. Not with your gym schedule.
    Your potential TDEE is probably closer to 2000.
    A 10% deficit for the minor amount to lose would be eating 1800.
    Even if rest of daily life is really sedentary, TDEE still around 1825, deficit eating 1650.

Therefore you likely have a really steep deficit eating only 1200 - and from experience and the way you write, I'm betting much logging "is on the safe side" - so probably even less.

You have no idea how good your workouts could be taking a much smaller deficit from a more realistic TDEE maintenance.
    A good workout is going to ask the body to transform more. That requires more energy for recovery, that helps burn fat.

Your increases on the bar while good are likely based almost all on form improvements and trying to find your true working weight.

Also, the benefit of the workout is not actually during the workout.
    A good workout tears the body down.

It's the rest for recovery and repair that builds it back up, stronger if diet allows.

Do you actually have rest for the muscles in there, or day to day using the same ones?

Or the other extreme which is a real fad right now - 1 muscle group weekly, so each day is a different group?
    That's not frequent enough.

Ditto's to comments that the measurements of fat % and LBM % are likely not only inaccurate - but LBM is more than just muscle - it is everything NOT fat. So a scale/handheld, ect reading of LBM could go up by having a glass of water prior compared to last time.

Or since you only have 1 valid weigh-in day - the normal fluctuations from workouts if not done on that day.

Hi, I weigh in monthly via hydrostatic since my family has a monthly subscription. Regardless of it's accuracy, however, I don't believe I am actually at the 18 percent it puts me at since I believe I have a lot of stomach fat going on. In terms of the calories, I might have to make that change so thanks. I've just decreased it more and more recently when I don't see the fat loss results I want (my last 3 measurements I went down 1-2% give or take and I don't look very different either)
  • kvfitnesslog
    Options
    Good advice above and from Niner. Did you mean you have lost weight or just BIA scales or however you are measuring shows the switch in fat vs muscle? Assuming you mean you've lost weight then you will definitely be eating too little.

The other point is to ask if you are following a program or your own creation. To get maximum results you need to on an optimum schedule.

Hydrostatic weighing, monthly for the past 3 months. I've seen little progress (the results have come out from 19 to 18 bf). My main concern is that my regimen, while extreme on the caloric deficit, still doesn't seem to burn enough fat
  • kvfitnesslog
    edited July 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hey ninerfluff:

@kvfitnesslog

Unfortunately people store fat in different areas and the only way to get rid of that is to simply get leaner. The idea you can "target" a certain area is false. I'd be curious what your lifting split looks like and if you're doing heavy compound lifts. I'm also dubious that you're only burning 1600 calories a day...have you tried tracking with an apple watch or fitbit or something? Not that they're completely accurate but I've yet to find an online calculator that even comes close to being accurate.

I'd recommend you focus on cutting, then bulking. It is an impossibility to gain muscle while in a deficit unless you're not natural. I cut until I'm in the 9-11%bf range then bulk until I'm roughly 15%. I struggle mentally to accept gaining too much fat in the name of gains.

Hope this helps.

Good point, but I don't have any strict belief in "broscience" and what I meant to say is I quit crunches since I know they don't burn fat but training them regularly is something I will definitely start to do. Again, I am not sure how accurate the weighing method I use is since when I look in the mirror I assume I am much higher. For a female though (assuming my measurement is correct), would a cut or bulk be better at 18-18.5 bf?
  • kvfitnesslog
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You have a lot of stuff going on here. Why are you aiming for 1200 if your goal is to maintain your weight and recomp? Or are you trying to cut then run a bulk? I think figuring out your goals is going to be the first step. With your stats you can either run a small cut to lower your bodyfat % then bulk, or you can recomp. Which one is better, that will depend on what you are comfortable with and the results you are looking for.

Keep in mind that you may not have the muscle base for sufficient ab definition.. so potentially you will cut and look about the same. So if you have been trying to cut for a while and not seeing results, I would switch to recomp or bulk to build muscle. I see people constantly chasing abs and in the end they end up spinning their wheels.

Are you doing a program at the gym? Working with a PT?

I was originally at 1600 a few months ago but decreased that by 1200 when I wasn't seeing the results I wanted (maybe it's just my body that seems to not see great results even at a deficit from genetics or maybe swimming all my life?). I have a regular 2 week routine that I follow (working out 6 days a week for 1hr) but no trainer. Thanks for the reply
  • kvfitnesslog
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the advice. It seems as though people tend to agree that I need to either increase my caloric intake or just focus on a straight up cut, when in reality I've just been so indecisive as to what to do having been doubting all my bf measurements when comparing them to what I see in the mirror. I'm going to weigh in at the hydrostatic place in a week so I'll check in (I've heard something about DEXA. Maybe I should try that instead). Does anyone have any numbers as to what bf% a female should cut vs bulk at? Since guessing where my calories should be and hoping for the best so far has been a pain.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Typically a female should start a bulk at 20%* and under. However, if the person really lacks muscle or is underweight/borderline underweight, they should go to gain because they will just spin their wheels trying to lose more or recomp at that point.

At just around 20% women will still have fat on their bodies, so you don't have to be completely ripped to start a bulk.

*I will add.. some like to start a bulk leaner .. this can help better deal with fat gains, shorten the cutting time after a bulk as well it can help with nutrient partitioning (at least that is what I have heard not sure if there is any benefit to starting at 20% vs leaner in that regard).