Alli xenical ortistat - any experience?

Options
So I'm hoping to lose 1 stone or so by October. Apparently alli can help you lose 50% more weight than without it. Any ideas if this is true? I am feeling awful because I have gained weight after a problem with anorexia for the past two years
I barely ate and kept my body weight deliberately low. At 5'5 I was just over 8 stone. I'm now nearly 11 stone. This is all because I starved my body and I'm quite ashamed. I'm not used to the weight though and I would certainly feel more comfortable at 9 stone and a half.
Problem is... I'm quite healthy and I assume my weight gain has been rebound because I has starved. I was also put on ssris which was a catalyst to my gain.
Has anyone successfully used this medication? Or do you have any tips for a relatively healthy eater?
I'm very willing to try anything! This weight has got to come off. Finding it hard to show my face :s
Thanks!!

Replies

• MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Two words: anal leakage.

Is it really worth it to you when all you have to do is log your food accurately?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    getfitpixi wrote: »
    I'm very willing to try anything!
    Thanks!!

It's just a drug that lets some people eat more without absorbing nutritional value from the food. Basically, it's a modern equivalent of the old Roman vomitorium.

Why not try logging all your food and managing your weight that way?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    That video of the news reporter sharting herself on the air was classic and enough reason to say no.
  • getfitpixi
    getfitpixi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks guys
    Just to let you know I'm just trying the alli for a month to shift this weight as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    I have reduced my diet but used to have phobias of eating fat but using alli I feel like I can do a small degree.
    I'm just trying to ensure a swift, but non-starvation style weight loss. It's really crucial to my self esteem.
    If any other supplements or ideas could be suggested I'd appreciate that.
    I also had to use the sleep medication melatonin for bounds of insomnia. I'm almost certain this resulted in weight gain.
    I honestly feel that medication has been a big contributor and so I'm abit clueless about how to get it off as it's unexpected gain :(
  • getfitpixi
    Options
    Also my issue with anorexia means I struggle to healthily log food without quickly developing an unhealthy obsession with it. Not to mention food phobias and guilt.
    I thought this could be a way to ensure less obsessive behaviour on my behalf. Honestly I get very panicked when I'm above 9 stone. I struggle.
  • getfitpixi
    Options
    I have spoken to professionals but they say similar things.
    This is an internal thing and I don't believe that they can magic it away.
    Either way. I am better now and even let myself go a little with the ssris but now it's time to take back some control.
    I am on a low dose of alli and so haven't noticed any awful side effects to be honest.
    I use the medication spareingly.
  • getfitpixi
    Options
    I feel like everyone just makes immature jokes about the medication
    But what would be helpful is knowing how to fully utilise its benefits :)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have spoken to professionals but they say similar things.
    This is an internal thing and I don't believe that they can magic it away.
    Either way. I am better now and even let myself go a little with the ssris but now it's time to take back some control.
    I am on a low dose of alli and so haven't noticed any awful side effects to be honest.
    I use the medication spareingly.

Then find new professionals. You clearly aren't fine if you're looking for a quick fix, with horrible.. horrible side effects, because your self-esteem is tied to your weight. No one is going condone the use of Alli.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I took it, stuck to a low fat diet, exercised etc
    I lost the grand total of 4lb in a month which my doc insisted was low because i didnt eat enough fat. I refused the second months prescription, it wasnt worth it.....

Because one night my bosses wife made me plain rice with vegetables as she knew i wouldnt be able to eat her curry. She failed to mention she fried it all in ghee before adding the water to cook the rice

Later in a taxi i started to get a sore tummy and a warm sensation. I clenched my muscles tighter than i ever thought possible and begged the driver to hurry.

I got out the taxi and waddled into the house where in the bathroom there was an explosion in a palm oil factory

Tge taxi seats were thankfully clean but the same could not be said for my underwear

I travelled with spare underwear the rest of the time i took orlistat

I don't see anything immature about this story. How awful!!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I took it, stuck to a low fat diet, exercised etc
    I lost the grand total of 4lb in a month which my doc insisted was low because i didnt eat enough fat. I refused the second months prescription, it wasnt worth it.....

Because one night my bosses wife made me plain rice with vegetables as she knew i wouldnt be able to eat her curry. She failed to mention she fried it all in ghee before adding the water to cook the rice

Later in a taxi i started to get a sore tummy and a warm sensation. I clenched my muscles tighter than i ever thought possible and begged the driver to hurry.

I got out the taxi and waddled into the house where in the bathroom there was an explosion in a palm oil factory

Tge taxi seats were thankfully clean but the same could not be said for my underwear

I travelled with spare underwear the rest of the time i took orlistat

I don't see anything immature about this story. How awful!!

And it was after being taken off a weightloss medication prescribed by my gp that was withdrawn because it was being linked to an alarming upswing in suicide rates and suicidal thoughts
    I will never take weightloss medications prescribed by a doctor again
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I feel like everyone just makes immature jokes about the medication
    But what would be helpful is knowing how to fully utilise its benefits :)

No one is making immature jokes. The medication has horrible side effects. Just because alli is a half strength version doesnt make it better

Since you have a history of ED you should not be taking any type of weightloss medication or suppliment without your doctors approval and monitoring
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I took it a long time ago. Please don't do it. I was lucky I never got leakage, but the smell, oh the smell when you do use the loo, awful, terrible, hideous. You can't go in public loos or at a friends house, you get the most disgusting oil slick that you can't get rid of with a flush, or ten, or with a toilet brush and if you do manage to scrub the toilet clean then the brush needs to be binned! And the smell will permeate the surrounding vicinity and people will look at you like you're about to die...

I use melatonin for sleep and I have to say I haven't put on weight. In fact it has helped with my weight loss, not because of any of the properties of the tablets themselves, simply because I am sleeping better which you need.

I really think if the professionals you are speaking to aren't helping you then you should seek out some that will. Can you ask to speak to someone else that you may click with? Good luck.