Do You Use The Scan Feature???????????

Options
2»

Replies

• notebelow
    notebelow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally think that the scanning feature promotes less healthy eating (not necessarily unhealthy though). For example, fresh produce, meats, and fish don’t have barcodes.

Not really; items like that are easier to find manually where as different types of packaged foods often have multiple differences from previous versions with different nutritional values so the scanner makes it easier in those situations.
    It also localises it so when you search for something like chips you don't end up with a whole bunch of american crisp results. I love the scanner, it really does make it easier (and a little more fun) to put in your food intake, it helps you to remember to do it as well because of its novelty.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would say 9 times out of 10 the bar code scanner doesn't work for me. It either doesn't recognize the item or it comes up with the wrong item (e.g. I scan bread, it comes up with yogurt). I have given up on it.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I personally think that the scanning feature promotes less healthy eating (not necessarily unhealthy though). For example, fresh produce, meats, and fish don’t have barcodes.

Not really; items like that are easier to find manually where as different types of packaged foods often have multiple differences from previous versions with different nutritional values so the scanner makes it easier in those situations.
    It also localises it so when you search for something like chips you don't end up with a whole bunch of american crisp results. I love the scanner, it really does make it easier (and a little more fun) to put in your food intake, it helps you to remember to do it as well because of its novelty.

Maybe it is just me then. But everything that I eat that is packaged (very few things) is already in my “recent” or “most used list”, so it doesn’t make sense to scan it.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's a allows you to scan the barcodes of food packages on your phone - I have a iphone4 and I scanned my entire breakfast today....
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out my phone and see if I have it, I doubt it because I've never noticed it, but who knows. Not that I would use it often, besides cheese, pretzels, and yogurt I don't really eat anything packaged.
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options

I so agree!!!
  • ruthcooper
    ruthcooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is there now for the iphone 3G....new, love it. SO quick and easy.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yup, got it with the most recent update for the i-phone. I like it.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome!!
  • cltrapp58
    Options
    Love, love, love the scan feature. Wish there were barcodes on menus! Wouldn't that make life easier?!?!?!?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's only on iphone 4 for iphone users...

but it is AWESOME! However, I;ve noticed that some are off.. so I always just double check the package or the whatever with what MFP says.

it cuts down on my logging time and just makes it so much easier. it doesn't promote unhealthy eating! i eat my yogurt, my cheerios, my milk, my eggs... those are good foods and you can scan the barcode! i wish all fruits and veggies had barcodes as well so we could ge the most accurate readings.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    never LOL
  • l_heras
    l_heras Posts: 65
    Options
    The scanning feature is what sold me on the app...I LOVE it!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's only on iphone 4 for iphone users...

but it is AWESOME! However, I;ve noticed that some are off.. so I always just double check the package or the whatever with what MFP says.

it cuts down on my logging time and just makes it so much easier. it doesn't promote unhealthy eating! i eat my yogurt, my cheerios, my milk, my eggs... those are good foods and you can scan the barcode! i wish all fruits and veggies had barcodes as well so we could ge the most accurate readings.

I have a 3gs?
  • water2soul
    water2soul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How do I get it to work? from the MFP app screen on my phone?
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it. Do you think it would work on foods in foreign countries?
  • Richard170
    Options
    How do I get it to work? from the MFP app screen on my phone?

iPhone4

When you add a food to your diary, there is a button sporting a not so great bar code icon that is just to the right of the text search entry are. Push that button and the screen changes to the camera with the outline of the corners of a box in the center. Center that box around the bar code and the bar code will be captured when the camera adjusts focus.

I am a bit of a dunce and had a heard time getting it to work at first, no instructions, but now it is easy.

Regards,
    Richard
  • katherinesnell
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of the barcode scanner! : )

I use it every day, and it feels like science fiction every time : ) I showed my friends one day when we were chatting about healthy eating, and my iphone got passed around while everyone had a go on their lunches lol