Frustrated and upset...

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    HM2206 wrote: »
    The scale fluctuates daily due to all sorts of things, not fat related. This is normal and it shouldn't surprise or discourage you. Water retention due to sodium/exercise, hormones/pms/tom, digestion periods, constipation, what time you weighed yourself/how you weighed yourself, if you took a shower before you weighed yourself (seriously, this can affect the scale), if you had something to drink before you weighed yourself, if your scale's batteries are getting old etc etc etc.

Yes I thought about fluctations, but I thought I had though of everything.

The scale is brand new - bought yesterday. My period is 10 days from now, so not PMSing yet. No shower, water or food before weighing.

Might be sodium, some of the stuff I had yesterday was a little high in sodium...Bothers me that it should account for so much though (meaning that not only have I not lost weight, but gained).

How long for the body to get rid of water weight?

Your body is retaining water for muscle repair... you don't need to "get rid of it", it will dissipate in a day or two on its own. In the meantime, it's likely you have lost some body fat that is being masked by it. Just relax.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Op, breakout the measuring tape, it will show you the numbers that scale sometimes won't. Record your measurments, and check back next month. You most likely will see the difference
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    I really do need to get a measuring tape.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    beaglady wrote: »

The scale is brand new - bought yesterday. ... (meaning that not only have I not lost weight, but gained).

You're weighing yourself on a different scale. There is always some variation from one scale to another. If you weigh yourself on your old scale, and the new one, right after the other, you will probably see that this is the reason there is a difference.

I missed that. When I changed scales early in my weight loss, I "gained" 12 lbs :(
  • HM2206

The scale is brand new - bought yesterday. ... (meaning that not only have I not lost weight, but gained).

You're weighing yourself on a different scale. There is always some variation from one scale to another. If you weigh yourself on your old scale, and the new one, right after the other, you will probably see that this is the reason there is a difference.

Ugh. The other scale is not old either, though. I'm renting out my flat and staying at my parents' place and decided to get a scale here too.

I feel like a failure and am drowning my sorrows in wine (in lieu of dinner though).

Still got a week until I'm leaving on vacation. Perhaps I can make a difference in the final seven days - from tomorrow on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Right before I moved I had three scales, two of them new. I sent back the smart scale to the VA TeleMOVE program, they sent me a dumb scale, and I had my old scale. The newest scale weighed me at a pound higher than the other two.

I also retain water at ovulation, after eating Chinese food, and when I start a new exercise program.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Let me first start by saying that I have lost weight before and have no issues with the "dynamics" behind it (calories in vs. calories out). I have always been within the normal BMI range, between a little chubby to very skinny. When I want to lose weight and apply myself (weighing all food, including milk in my coffee), I usually have no issues.

I have a couple of vanity pounds I have been sirely wanting to lose before a long awaited vacation to the South of France is coming up. I know there is a limit to how much you can lose in 2-3 weeks, but as I am normal weight I also know that 3-4 lbs makes a big difference in how I look.

I have done what have worked for me before - eating at a low deficit, as well as increasing my daily activity a lot without eating it back. I have been eating around 1700 cals a day, and added a couple of walks at a very brisk pace, at around 2 hrs per day, creating a daily deficit of around 500. Even when eating healthy and a lot of protein and veggies, I have been slightly hungry when going to bed, and starving when I wake up. Living with my sister - who usually eats whatever she wants - I have been somewhat of a pain in the *kitten*, forcing her to hold back on everything. Nevertheless, I have been strict.

I have been feeling good the past week - tummy is flatter, I feel slimmer and I have that comfortable soreness in my muscles from walking a lot. Today I went on the scale, trying to manage my expectation, and thinking that any progress is some progress. I have gained a pound! I felt the tears coming and was just so upset. Yes, it is silly for a not-fat girl to cry over this, but I am angry with my body and don't understand. I have been doing the same thing I did a few years back, which then worked well.

I have been trying to think what it is, but am clueless. I weighed before breakfast, like last time. Usually I take off weight pretty easily.

Other options? :(

If it's just a few pounds you're likely retaining water. Every carb pulls in around 2 grams of water and if you're not drinking enough water you'll also retain water. Try to restrict your carbs and up your water consumption. Lastly, your sodium might be a little high. It's a quick fix and you can easily do it in a week.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    3-4 lbs make a difference? If I were that close to goal I'd be happy. :(
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member

Ugh. The other scale is not old either, though. I'm renting out my flat and staying at my parents' place and decided to get a scale here too.

I feel like a failure and am drowning my sorrows in wine (in lieu of dinner though).

Still got a week until I'm leaving on vacation. Perhaps I can make a difference in the final seven days - from tomorrow on.

Wine instead of dinner will likely get the scales to go in the right direction (less food in your belly, more dehydrated). So if all it will take to make you happy is to see those scales move you should be good to go tomorrow!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member

Wine instead of dinner will likely get the scales to go in the right direction (less food in your belly, more dehydrated). So if all it will take to make you happy is to see those scales move you should be good to go tomorrow!

Never worked that way for me. I eat more when I drink, and I don't sleep well, and the next day I have the "not enough sleep" munchies, plus I'm not inclined to be active.
  • HM2206
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I have actually not had very solid BMs recently...I heard flax seed oil can help, anyone had experience?

Maybe I'm carrying some food around.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

when i was younger and would drink loads and then be properly hungover, i would be lighter the next day, these days, 2 or 3 cocktails or glasses of prosecco and i am a couple of pounds heavier the next day.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    You have never been overweight.

You gained a pound.

Now you are skipping meals and 'drowning your sorrows' because you are a 'failure'.

I feel that a little perspective here might help us all meet our goals. I suggest the Success Stories forum.

This.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Never worked that way for me. I eat more when I drink, and I don't sleep well, and the next day I have the "not enough sleep" munchies, plus I'm not inclined to be active.

I overeat and under exercise the next day too. Drinking alcohol is definitely not something I would encourage someone looking to slim down to do, other than jokingly.

I differ from you and @TavistockToad in that my weight is reliably down the day after drinking alcohol. Good reminder that not everyone is me.