Recomp, Schmeecomp... lol

Options
No offense, all you wonderful Maintainers.. but I don't care about "Recomping" and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

I'm 62 years old and have been "overweight" "fat," and "obese" since I was about 12. In those 50 years I have lost, and regained, probably about a thousand pounds and have NEVER managed to "Maintain," not even for a day. Each time in the past I would happily be plodding along losing weight effectively when suddenly some switch in my brain would toggle to the other side and I would start eating like crazy and gain weight again. Over and over...

So now, with the help of MFP and my on-line friends here, as well as TRACKING, I've successfully reached goal. Over the course of 14 months I have lost 120 lbs, and - most miraculously - have managed to stay at goal for over a month (I know - not very long, but still much longer than ever before for me).

So now I'm looking in the "Maintenance Support Community" and most of what I see is threads about recomping. I don't really know what that is! As I said, I'm 62 and yes - I'm flabby! In some ways my body looks like a bag of skin that a fat woman used to be in. In the past I used to care about that and that's partially what would then derail my weight loss efforts. This time around? Mehhh... not important! Yes, I have wrinkles. Yes, I have lose skin. Yes, I have bulges in areas that maybe I shouldn't. I don't care!

I track my food intake daily and I faithfully walk my dog every single day for at least 4 miles (takes us an hour). Somedays I walk more. Somedays I also swim. Somedays I also ride my bike. Somedays I play with my grandchildren and lift a 25+ lb toddler over my head - I consider that weightlifting. Somedays I dig in the garden. Somedays I even clean the house... lol

I don't want to exercise any more and I don't want to do anything else! If I live the rest of my days with lose flabby skin here and there, and a few wrinkles - then so be it. I feel 9000pct healthier than I did 120 lbs ago, and that's really all that matters to me at this stage in my life.

Life in my 60's... can't beat it! :)

Replies

• birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Not discrediting, @deannalfisher - just not a goal of mine.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 - that I can totally get behind, and I agree! Hence the lifting of the toddler grandchild ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. Recomp is not a necessity. Some people prefer it and some don't.

If you stay active you may find yourself doing it without even trying. And if not, so what?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Your story is a lot like mine, op. I had a lifetime of weight losses that i couldn't sustain, and regains with an extra chunk. I hope that you've learned from this time, congratulations on maintaining for a month, great start.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You dont know what it is... but you know its not for you? :huh:

my thoughts exactly...

I guess it falls into the definition - I know what it is when I see it...
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you don't care about re-comping why are you ranting about it?
    It's something that took a lot of effort to accomplish and something that I am proud to have done, which can't be dimished by your protestation that such effort is unnecessary and impliedly of little or no consequence.

This