Help

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sure, overeating on sausage rolls and crisps is unhealthy.

Undereating is equally unhealthy.

You are all about extremes, and you're talking as if the only choice you have is between extreme overeating and extreme undereating. The only way you will lose weight is if you learn to eat in moderation. If you are really serious about losing weight, you need to face up to that challenge.

Yes I know but eating my 3 meals a day feels me up I don't feel hungry to eat much more but before I used to just eat junk so I'm doing alot better than I was but what am I suppose to eat if I'm not hungry and need extra?

Add calorie-dense foods that you enjoy. I don't know your tastes, but when I need calories I will add chocolate, nuts/nut butter, avocado, coconut, full-fat salad dressings, wine/beer, pasta, or potatoes.
  • connorbambam98
    connorbambam98 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

You are all about extremes, and you're talking as if the only choice you have is between extreme overeating and extreme undereating. The only way you will lose weight is if you learn to eat in moderation. If you are really serious about losing weight, you need to face up to that challenge.

Yes I know but eating my 3 meals a day feels me up I don't feel hungry to eat much more but before I used to just eat junk so I'm doing alot better than I was but what am I suppose to eat if I'm not hungry and need extra?

Add calorie-dense foods that you enjoy. I don't know your tastes, but when I need calories I will add chocolate, nuts/nut butter, avocado, coconut, full-fat salad dressings, wine/beer, pasta, or potatoes.

I'm trying not to eat bad but I suppose a pack of crisps or something won't hurt if it puts my calarioes up will it? If I've eaten clean all day I don't know how it works lol
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'm trying not to eat bad but I suppose a pack of crisps or something won't hurt if it puts my calarioes up will it? If I've eaten clean all day I don't know how it works lol

You don't have to "eat clean" to lose weight, you just have to be in a calorie deficit. Assuming you are in a deficit, you will still lose weight even if you have crisps.
  • connorbambam98
    Options

You don't have to "eat clean" to lose weight, you just have to be in a calorie deficit. Assuming you are in a deficit, you will still lose weight even if you have crisps.

Oh okay sorry I'm so new to this and it frustrates me as I really want to get into shape and I really struggle knowing how and I over think so much and it ruins it for me
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Oh okay sorry I'm so new to this and it frustrates me as I really want to get into shape and I really struggle knowing how and I over think so much and it ruins it for me

You don't have to apologize. People who hang out here are either looking for help or wanting to help. :)

• connorbambam98
    Options

You don't have to apologize. People who hang out here are either looking for help or wanting to help. :)

Oh okay thank you, I changed how I was eating a while ago and didn't even realise until I think back now as I just did it but not for weight loss but some reason I just stopped eating loads of rubbish and had nornal stuff and im always drinking water, where as before i use to go shop and buy sasauge rolls pastys crisps coke and stuff its crazy looking back now, its hard to explain as I didn't even realise but it's motivated me more to get in shape, I put a photo on my wall if you'd like to see, don't worry if you don't
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Also- keep in mind that to stay healthy you DO need to eat above a certain amount of fat. If you are eating all low-fat, lower calorie foods, there's a good chance you are not only way too low on calories, but also more specifically nowhere near enough fat. You'll need to incorporate some more higher-calorie density foods, but these don't need to be the things you have moderation problems with. (I can't stock crisps, cookies, cheese, etc in more than a single serving either, bc I can't moderate them). Also- most protein sources come with a decent amount of fat and calories, so you are likely also very low on that.

Specific tips (looking at Thursday)(yep- definitely VERY low on fat and also a bit low on protein):
    - double check the Aldi burger entry - You might have actually eaten more than it lists...the calorie count looks a bit low for 24g protein since most burger patties are from fatty 80/20 beef)
    - ditch the skim milk (at least go for 2% unless you don't like the taste).
    - Same with the yogurt..at least go for the 1%/2% rather than fat free.
    - get a fattier cut of chicken. They are tastier and cheaper.
    - Almost no fat or protein at breakfast. Add some mix-ins to the yogurt that have those. Crumbled protein bar/granola/etc.
    - Since you have the calories, do have a bun with that burger (unless you have moderation issues and will want the rest of the bag of buns with butter if you do).
  • Wrongleverkronk
    Wrongleverkronk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Could you add some nutrigrain bars or protein bars for the extra calories when youre not feeling hungry? There are days when Im simply not hungry but add those in... The nutrigrain bars especially because theyre low in saturated fat but are yummy.
  • connorbambam98
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm just new to this and thought I was eating very good but clearly I'm aloud more stuff than I thought i was, it's not hard to eat this way just hard to know what to eat and the amount so difficult
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm just new to this and thought I was eating very good but clearly I'm aloud more stuff than I thought i was, it's not hard to eat this way just hard to know what to eat and the amount so difficult

For weight loss, you can eat whatever you'd like. You just have to make sure you aren't eating it in quantities that put you over your calorie goal.

For your overall health, you will want to make sure that you're meeting your nutritional needs -- the basic things like getting enough protein, fat, and fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals. When you get comfortable with logging, you can review your diary and decide if you want to make changes to get more of anything you may not be getting enough of.

Many people find it is easier to meet their calorie goal when they eat the kind of foods that keep them satisfied. For many people, protein serves this function, but other people find they feel fuller from fat or even carbohydrates. You can experiment and find what is true for you.

You don't have to eliminate anything in order to lose weight as long as you are in a deficit. However, some people find some foods are harder to stop eating or that they don't want just a small quantity of certain foods so they limit or even eliminate these foods. There isn't a "right" answer to this, just whatever works best for you. I have no problem measuring out a serving of tortilla chips, so I eat them pretty frequently. Other foods are harder for me to moderate, so I may not eat them as often.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Does crisps mean potato chips? If yes you could buy boxes of single bags to make sure you only allow yourself to open one and finish it. Also granola bars are a great idea for a "simple palate". They are sweet and often feel like desert to people on diets. They would add 150-250 calories each. I have no clue what sausage rolls are buy them if they fit your daily calories. Especially if they are packaged separately.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    Does crisps mean potato chips? If yes you could buy boxes of single bags to make sure you only allow yourself to open one and finish it. Also granola bars are a great idea for a "simple palate". They are sweet and often feel like desert to people on diets. They would add 150-250 calories each. I have no clue what sausage rolls are buy them if they fit your daily calories. Especially if they are packaged separately.

Yep, it's the British term for chips (since their 'chips' are actually fries)
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    noirelb wrote: »

Yep, it's the British term for chips (since their 'chips' are actually fries)

Ohh yess fish and chips! Canadian here
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It sounds like you want to keep eating the way you are but get more calories in? Keep in mind that some of the days you've logged this week are close to 2,000 calories so if you're going to continue having "those days", they will balance out the 1,000-ish calorie days. You don't need to eat the same amount of calories every day as long as your average is around 1,200 to 1,500.
    However if you are planning to cut out the beer and pasties and base your eating on the lower-cal days you've logged, I would suggest:
    1. Use olive oil instead of cooking spray
    2. Substitute Greek yogurt for your current yogurt (it's much higher in protein). If you go for full-fat instead of 0% you'll add more calories.
    3. Eat a handful of nuts as a snack or add to your yogurt.
    4. And, just for the sake of your health, try to eat more vegetables! It won't add many calories but it will be better for you.
    If you do all of those things you'll easily add 300–400 calories and in a healthful way (those types of fats are good for you).
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You can log, but you can't close your diary out if you're consuming less than 1200 calories. Start eating more.

I can close my diary as long as I eat more than 1000 calories. I try to eat to 1200, but it does let me close as long as I'm over 1000. Is that not normal?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

If you want to get into shape, under eating wont help you. Your body can only metabolize so much stored body fat in a day. After that, it will take lean muscle mass. Too much of a deficit over time will result in a great deal of muscle mass loss. Isn't that the opposite of what you want?

Cut yourself some slack! Read the stickies at the top of the forum. Give yourself some crisps as they fit into your calorie goal. And realize you're going to screw up some days. We all have. It's not a big deal in the long run. The big deal is that you keep going!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can log, but you can't close your diary out if you're consuming less than 1200 calories. Start eating more.

I can close my diary as long as I eat more than 1000 calories. I try to eat to 1200, but it does let me close as long as I'm over 1000. Is that not normal?

Because you're female. The warning for males is at 1200 and their minimum intake is 1500.