Worst woo you ever heard advertised regarding losing weight

Options
There is the company NutriMost that was advertising on the radio station I listen to. It really used to annoy me because they made all these ridiculous claims - you could lose 40lbs. in 40 days with no special diet or exercise (yeah, right); they could help you keep the weight off by 'resetting your hypothalamus' to your goal weight, like you're body is a bloody thermostat!

Anyway, my brother send me this article regarding the snake-oil salesman that started the company, all the FDA and FTC violations they have, etc.

https://www.chirobase.org/06DD/nutrimost/overview.html

At the end of the article they list all the disclaimers this company would put in their contracts:

• NutriMost does not provide any medical advice, medical treatment, or diagnosis.
  • The health information and materials given to the customer are provided with no warranty that they are fit to use.
  • NutriMost does not assume responsibility for any errors.
  • The information provided is "not necessarily based on scientific or reliable tests or studies."
  • No product offered or recommended by NutriMost is intended to treat any medical condition.
  • NutriMost will not be liable for any type of damages the customer many incur by using the information, advice, services or products provided.
  • The customer agrees not to post any statements criticizing NutriMost through any online medium and agrees that any violation of this provision would make the customer liable for $35,990 in liquidated damages.
  • The customer agrees to waive any rights under any law that would limit the waiver of any such rights.

Sounds reputable to me. :(

What ridiculously insane things have you heard?

Replies

• Wrongleverkronk
    Wrongleverkronk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I cant remember what it was called but there was a seasoning awhile back that had a sweet side and a salty side and was guaranteed to make you lose like 30 lbs in 30 days.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    murph155 wrote: »
    [*] The customer agrees not to post any statements criticizing NutriMost through any online medium and agrees that any violation of this provision would make the customer liable for $35,990 in liquidated damages.

So does this mean you couldn't put on Facebook/Twitter "This stuff is *kitten* and doesn't work" or you get sued??

Apparently. Not sure if anyone every was, though.
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    [*] The customer agrees not to post any statements criticizing NutriMost through any online medium and agrees that any violation of this provision would make the customer liable for $35,990 in liquidated damages.

So does this mean you couldn't put on Facebook/Twitter "This stuff is *kitten* and doesn't work" or you get sued??

It's a cool idea. If they aren't making money on selling their woo, they can make it by suing people who speak out against their woo. Either way, they are making money. Curious as to how they came up with this number though. It seems rather specific.

I was thinking the same thing. There must be some sort of threshold at $ 36K. Like the banks having to report cash deposits over $ 10K, so $ 9,999 doesn't get reported.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    There was one talking about all the old sludge we have in our intestines and how if we use their product you can lose tons of weight and get a flat stomach. Sorry I haven't wwheard it in a while and forget the name of the product

I think I've heard this one on the radio in the mornings! The guy tries to scare you into thinking you have "TOXIC SLUDGE" in your intestines and that's why you can't lose weight!

TEN POUNDS OF IT!! I remember that one because when I was googling some "cleanse" or other for debunking purposes in a thread last year this came up first, accompanied by some horrifying pictures.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

I wonder how enforceable that would be...
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Last night on A Current Affair (Australia), there was a story on some 7 day diet. It was your typical rubbish; only fruit on day 1, but no bananas, you can eat butter and oil on day two, but still no bananas, etc.

What horrified me was that they had an accredited dietician claiming that it could make you lose 7 kg in 7 days.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Radio commercials here for something called The Health Dare, change your body at the cellular level. Lose 80 pounds in 90 days the easy way, with no exercise, and only eliminate a few foods. LOLZ

http://www.thehealthdare.com/media.php