Frustrated and upset...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just to put it in perspective OP. I "gain" 1.1kg (2.6lbs) after drinking just one cup of coffee and 1 cup of tea, no other food or beverages. Daily fluctuations are a normal, everyday part of life.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just think you'll spoil your holiday stressing about your weight like this.

You've clearly got the tools/knowledge to manage it, go enjoy the holiday and lovely French food and simply employ the tools again when you get back!
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When did you weigh yourself? Always weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything and after you go to the bathroom. That will give you the most accurate results imo. Anyway, a small amount of fluctuation in weight is normal from day to day.
  • Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers person as well. It's funny how stress can affect our bodies...or lack of sleep or anything really. I've started tracking my measurements because I'm able to see results that way.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Not being snarky but 3-4 lbs to lose is not noticeable on you. That's your mind trying to fool you. When someone is overweight and starts to lose and loses 3-4 lbs they can't notice it being gone yet just as you wouldn't notice that gain. I get the whole vanity thing but I would honestly be happy if I had just 10 lbs of weight to lose and wouldn't worry about it. I was always a thin person and remember all too well how hard I would be on myself if the number on the scale wasn't what I thought it needed to be. Give yourself a break.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    here's an example of why weight loss isn't controllable...

the last week, my daily weights have been 147.3, 148.2, 150.3, 149.1 and 151.4 -I haven't changed anything drastic with my eating habits (aside from the pizza I had yesterday) - they are typical weight fluctuations. I know that I haven't put on 3lbs of fat - it is all water weight

This.

Not to mention the human body is doing a lot more inside it than just gaining/losing weight.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like all the input about weighing and if it is good or not for someone. Thanks!
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    If you're seeing results physically, why are you concerned by a number? Especially an increase that could be nothing more than a normal fluctuation.

Yes I thought that too, but I am numbers person, and I am starting to doubt whether it is real if I don't see it.

I know that people tend to get a little 'blind' in regards to their own bodies, and now I am worried that I haven't actually lost anything :/

I just read an article that weight loss has nothing to do with recent behavior but is actually a result of previous weeks that eventually catch up. The day to day has no bearing on your weight loss or gain. It changed my whole perspective on scale fluctuation.

@DharmainHeels Would you pretty please provide a link to that article?

@JeromeBarry1 here you go!

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The scale fluctuates daily due to all sorts of things, not fat related. This is normal and it shouldn't surprise or discourage you. Water retention due to sodium/exercise, hormones/pms/tom, digestion periods, constipation, what time you weighed yourself/how you weighed yourself, if you took a shower before you weighed yourself (seriously, this can affect the scale), if you had something to drink before you weighed yourself, if your scale's batteries are getting old etc etc etc.

Yes I thought about fluctations, but I thought I had though of everything.

The scale is brand new - bought yesterday. My period is 10 days from now, so not PMSing yet. No shower, water or food before weighing.

Might be sodium, some of the stuff I had yesterday was a little high in sodium...Bothers me that it should account for so much though (meaning that not only have I not lost weight, but gained).

How long for the body to get rid of water weight?

So, you're saying this scale weighs heavier than your previous scale?

Edited: I am a bad person for failing to read the other 2 pages before posting.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Any hormonal shift can result in increased cellular absorption - water weight. My water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day.

Your body is ~45-60% water.

You're also dealing with the degree of error in the scale, unless this is class A calibrated lab grade.

Nothing to worry about...move along....go....vacate with extreme prejudice!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    :|
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses.

I actually met with my mother after not haven seen her in a few weeks and she commented that I looked skinny. So I guess it was not my imagination.

I have decided not to weigh in again before going on vacation (which is tomorrow) and trust the feedback (my mum is a harsh body critic, so I doubt she's lying!). Got a new bikini and sarong and will make the most of it.

Great news! Have a fabulous vacation :smiley: