HIIT training whilst doing SL 5X5

Options
dalerst
dalerst Posts: 174 Member
Just a quick one regarding doing HIIT training as well as SL 5x5 3 days per week, since starting the 5x5 6 weeks ago I cut my HIIT down to just once a week but have noticed a big decrease in energy levels since doing so, the main reason for cutting them was to get the rest days inbetween my weight training.

If I was to start doing them again 3 days per week would I still be getting the rest time for the weights as it's mainly cardio and not lifting if that makes sense.

I've also started eating in surplus of 400 calories per day so my intake has gone up to 2900 which I don't think is helping the energy front.

Replies

• dalerst
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    3 days HIIT on top of SL 5x5 would give a lot of CNS fatigue. Not recommended. I'm guessing your decrease in energy is from CNS fatigue already. If you are 5 weeks in, you are likely just getting into the higher weights. 5 sets of big lifts is a lot of volume as the weight increases.

So what's the best thing to do, Just fight though it or rest for a bit? The weights are getting quite heavy.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Doing SL 3 times a week means you would have 2 consecutive days off once a week. You could HIIT during that period. I'm a runner and that's where I try to throw my longer runs in.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I used to do HIIT sprints when running SL, but had to stop because my legs just could not recover once the weight is significant. It was difficult to even sprint because my quads would be so tight. Squatting heavy 3x/week is extremely taxing. Sprinting is extremely taxing. Doing them together is asking for disaster IMO.
  • dalerst
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok maybe as I'm currently doing which is 1 session a week on my 2 days off, I'm going to stick with the SL as I've noticed a big difference in strength and muscle mass even in the short space of time.

Hopefully the fatigue will get better!! Or maybe not :/
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you lift M, W, F, doing HIIT on Saturday would be the best option.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do SL 5x5 on MWF evenings and a spin class followed by a HIIT class on Tues, Thur mornings. I take the weekends off completely other than walking. I've often wondered if I'm limiting my strength gains by my Tues, Th activities, but since I've only been doing SL 5x5 for a few months, I'm still making progress. I assume I'll reach the point where I've got to choose one over the other.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    dalerst wrote: »
    Ok maybe as I'm currently doing which is 1 session a week on my 2 days off, I'm going to stick with the SL as I've noticed a big difference in strength and muscle mass even in the short space of time.

Hopefully the fatigue will get better!! Or maybe not :/
    Honestly, I wouldn't do HIIT and SL 5x5 at the same time. Unless you have a sports specific reason to do HIIT, like MMA or Soccer, it is overkill. Do some LISS on off days. Throw in some intervals at 75 or 80% if you want and have the energy for it. You kind of have to decide what your focus really is. To get leaner, stronger and build muscle mass or improve your v02 max for a sport. I mostly walk on off days with a few running interval.

It bears repeating... don't do heavy progressive lifting and HIIT together. LISS is fine on recovery days, but don't overdue it!! Your CNS needs rest too
  • dalerst
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on this. I'm going to give the HIIT a miss for a couple of weeks and see how I get on. I spend most of the day on my feet anyway so maybe it's over doing it slightly
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The OP may want to consider trying pushing or pulling a sled for HIIT workouts. Theory is the sled is a concentric only movement and much of the recovery time from big lifts is due to the work done in the eccentric phase of the movement.

Excerpt from the article linked:

When lifting, the eccentric portion of a movement is the negative or lowering of the weight (e.g., lowering the bar to your chest during a Bench Press). Eccentric movement is what causes the most muscle damage and soreness and requires more recovery time between workouts. What makes the sled an unmatched training modality is that there is no eccentric movement when you use it, just concentric. It will not make you sore.

This allows for more regular use without a lot of concern about whether sled work will impede recovery and other training elements. This makes sled training ideal for rehab and injury prevention while making the body stronger and more durable.

http://www.stack.com/a/4-reasons-why-sled-training-is-perfect-for-athletes

Also some comments from Joe DeFranco in this article:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-prowler-training

For skinnier athletes who want to put on muscle, we'll use the Prowler to add volume. We'll still do the traditional compound movements – squats and deadlifts, etc. – but we'll add in the Prowler for eccentric-less training. This allows us to increase the volume without breaking the athlete down.

Another good article:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/push-pull-perspire-7-sled-workouts-to-leave-you-in-a-heap.html
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you still wanted to do some HIIT you could skip the squat on one of the non-deadlift days and do HIIT instead of the squat.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to. There are weeks when I can't do SL 3 times during the week, I'll only make it for one or two because I'm still recovering.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.