Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can diet affect your mental health?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    zjpq wrote: »
    Yes! I feel like rubbish (slow, sluggish, lazy, almost depressed) if I only eat sugar and carbs

But I also feel like rubbish if I don't get a little chocolate every day haha so it's a balancing act for me ;)

So you have days when you eat no protein or fats? Doesn't seem very sensible. Not surprising you would feel like rubbish.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    As someone who has struggled with mental health issues AND with weight issues I firmly believe that my depression causes me to eat poorly and too much, not the other way around. I was at a healthy weight and ate well before the depression first hit in college. After that, I have struggled with both.

I have my own depression scale:
    1. Even keel. Doing well, in control, able to just glide over whatever waves come my way.
    2. My eating habits go south. This is the first indicator that I am at the top of a spiral. If I can get my eating back on track, I often am able to halt an oncoming depressive episode
    3. My housekeeping goes south
    4. My personal care (showering, getting dressed, etc) goes bad
    5. I spend all day in bed with books and food.

Yes, my eating and exercise habits are firmly entwined with my mental health but it is a symptom, not a cause of depression.

Me to a T (and me currently...)
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Ketogenic diets have been used for many years in patients (particularly children) with some forms of medication resistant epilepsy to help reduce seizures.

Interestingly, there is a huge crossover of therapeutic class with many anticonvulsant drugs used as mood stabilisers. Sodium valproate is a good example. As is lamotrigine.

I am curious as to whether a ketogenic diet could have a stabilising effect on mood in some people in the same way that some anticonvulsants do.

Ketosis can certainly have an anti convulsant effect.

But again, just my speculative example of a possible correlation between diet and mental health. The link doesn't seem impossible to me.

Anecdotally, I tried it (ketosis) for a time and noticed a reduction in symptoms - however, it was hard on my kidneys and thus incompatible with my medication.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    Ketogenic diets have been used for many years in patients (particularly children) with some forms of medication resistant epilepsy to help reduce seizures.

Interestingly, there is a huge crossover of therapeutic class with many anticonvulsant drugs used as mood stabilisers. Sodium valproate is a good example. As is lamotrigine.

I am curious as to whether a ketogenic diet could have a stabilising effect on mood in some people in the same way that some anticonvulsants do.

But again, just my speculative example of a possible correlation between diet and mental health. The link doesn't seem impossible to me.

Anecdotally, I tried it (ketosis) for a time and noticed a reduction in symptoms - however, it was hard on my kidneys and thus incompatible with my medication.

I would be very careful with it since you are bipolar. You may be okay with it since you are type one, but if you are susceptible to depression due to brain chemical imbalance I would keep a very close eye on it if you wish to try it. I shared my experience with that once, and apparently I wasn't the only one. Crippling depression with suicidal thoughts every time I attempted a ketogenic diet. Someone even posted a link (which I lost) how there was a link that has been studied. Apparently not everyone is affected like that, might have to do with something being psychological vs chemical, not entirely sure. Some report improvements in their depression that may be true or perceived (as is the case with many who start a different diet and feel good about doing something good for their health).
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    That's awful. Brain chemistry is a tricky thing.

I found it (keto) helped me (I do get deep depressive episodes as well even as type 1) but then ketone bodies and lithium competing for renal excretion led to mild lithium toxicity so all over for that little experiment.

I'm more curious in a hypothetical way. In regards to the 'can diet affect mental health' discussion it's something that I wouldn't be surprised by a future link.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member

I would be very careful with it since you are bipolar. You may be okay with it since you are type one, but if you are susceptible to depression due to brain chemical imbalance I would keep a very close eye on it if you wish to try it. I shared my experience with that once, and apparently I wasn't the only one. Crippling depression with suicidal thoughts every time I attempted a ketogenic diet. Someone even posted a link (which I lost) how there was a link that has been studied. Apparently not everyone is affected like that, might have to do with something being psychological vs chemical, not entirely sure. Some report improvements in their depression that may be true or perceived (as is the case with many who start a different diet and feel good about doing something good for their health).

This is also completely true of mood stabilizers, though. Abilify has an FDA black box warning for completed suicide. The closest I've ever been to killing myself was when I was taking that drug. And there is no way of knowing when a person claims to be helped by it if it is simply the placebo effect.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

This is also completely true of mood stabilizers, though. Abilify has an FDA black box warning for completed suicide. The closest I've ever been to killing myself was when I was taking that drug. And there is no way of knowing when a person claims to be helped by it if it is simply the placebo effect.

And SSRIs.

I used to work in the Pharmacogenetics field. There are many people who have suicidal/homicidal reactions to some SSRIs. Caution in all things.

I think there is absolutely a food angle on any disease. We are just so dang complicated. I know my physical and emotional health are helped by a nutrition plan and exercise - and it has to be consistent, like medicine. I can't skip days or go off-plan without noticing a (albeit slight) difference in mood and coping ability. But I have a whole list of stuff that has to work together, not just food.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    Mental health is a bit broad...maybe depression. Does a bad diet contribute to Schizophrenia? BPD? Othello Syndrome? No it doesn't :/

@Panda8ach do you have any links to support there being any medical validity to your quoted personal opinion about diet relationship to mental health concerns that you mentioned?

You really think schizophrenia and bp can be cured by diet?

Not sure why you are asking a question about "curing" any health condition because that is a loaded word that can never be proven. I know some medical professionals and patients view one's diet may have an impact on most any health condition.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3004718/

Dietary Intake of Patients with Schizophrenia

"From a physical health perspective, the observed pattern of above-average caloric intake from a diet rich in saturated fat and sugar seems worrisome. Health burdens of such a constellation are apparent. High fat intake per se, for example, has been linked to a variety of medical problems such as coronary artery disease, hypertension, and cancer.27 It may also predispose schizophrenia patients to premature death from complications of these disorders.28 They already have a decreased life expectancy,29 and the overtly high total fat intake together with a pattern of low fruit and vegetable consumption may only accelerate this trend.

From the mental health perspective, the patients' subjective assessment of quality of life is considered to be a critical outcome variable in the care of individuals with schizophrenia.30 Patients already suffer from low quality of life inherent to the chronic nature of their illness.31 Overweight only further impairs quality of life.17 Distress related to high body weight is a modifiable factor, and the quality of life of schizophrenic patients can be improved substantially by proper weight management, apart from obvious advantages for physical health.15"

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2652467/

Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature

"Abstract
    We report the unexpected resolution of longstanding schizophrenic symptoms after starting a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet. After a review of the literature, possible reasons for this include the metabolic consequences from the elimination of gluten from the diet, and the modulation of the disease of schizophrenia at the cellular level.

Conclusion
    While more research is needed to confirm the association between gluten intake and schizophrenia and whether dietary change can ameliorate schizophrenic symptoms, health care providers could consider screening patients with schizophrenia for celiac disease and/or augment the medical regimen with a gluten-free or low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet."

ibpf.org/blog/how-food-changed-bipolar-disorder-me

How Food Changed Bipolar Disorder For Me

"Controlling our Bipolar Disorder is a full time job, even during the good times. We have meds, psychotherapy, and other standard treatments. However, have you considered food as a form of treatment? I've discovered there are certain foods that help me keep the Bipolar roller coaster on the up side."

Do you read the links you post? That person still takes medication and a careful read of the foods list pretty much shows a whole foods diet full of whole grains, proteins, and vegetables so he's got stable blood sugar that doesn't affect his mood. That's what he attributes his dietary intervention effectiveness to.

He's paid attention to his reactions (like headaches and brain fog) to certain things and eliminated them.

These are things any sensible person with any chronic condition who takes a proactive stance on managing their health does to better their quality of life.

It doesn't make the case for food as medicine. It might make the case for the importance of self-care and engagement in the process of such for people suffering from mental illness.

Thankfully it does make a case that food like Rx meds can help or hurt a pre existing physical and/or medical conditions.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Mental health is a bit broad...maybe depression. Does a bad diet contribute to Schizophrenia? BPD? Othello Syndrome? No it doesn't :/

@Panda8ach do you have any links to support there being any medical validity to your quoted personal opinion about diet relationship to mental health concerns that you mentioned?

Not sure why you are asking a question about "curing" any health condition because that is a loaded word that can never be proven. I know some medical professionals and patients view one's diet may have an impact on most any health condition.

"From a physical health perspective, the observed pattern of above-average caloric intake from a diet rich in saturated fat and sugar seems worrisome. Health burdens of such a constellation are apparent. High fat intake per se, for example, has been linked to a variety of medical problems such as coronary artery disease, hypertension, and cancer.27 It may also predispose schizophrenia patients to premature death from complications of these disorders.28 They already have a decreased life expectancy,29 and the overtly high total fat intake together with a pattern of low fruit and vegetable consumption may only accelerate this trend.

From the mental health perspective, the patients' subjective assessment of quality of life is considered to be a critical outcome variable in the care of individuals with schizophrenia.30 Patients already suffer from low quality of life inherent to the chronic nature of their illness.31 Overweight only further impairs quality of life.17 Distress related to high body weight is a modifiable factor, and the quality of life of schizophrenic patients can be improved substantially by proper weight management, apart from obvious advantages for physical health.15"

Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature

"Abstract
    We report the unexpected resolution of longstanding schizophrenic symptoms after starting a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet. After a review of the literature, possible reasons for this include the metabolic consequences from the elimination of gluten from the diet, and the modulation of the disease of schizophrenia at the cellular level.

Conclusion
    While more research is needed to confirm the association between gluten intake and schizophrenia and whether dietary change can ameliorate schizophrenic symptoms, health care providers could consider screening patients with schizophrenia for celiac disease and/or augment the medical regimen with a gluten-free or low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet."

"Controlling our Bipolar Disorder is a full time job, even during the good times. We have meds, psychotherapy, and other standard treatments. However, have you considered food as a form of treatment? I've discovered there are certain foods that help me keep the Bipolar roller coaster on the up side."

Do you read the links you post? That person still takes medication and a careful read of the foods list pretty much shows a whole foods diet full of whole grains, proteins, and vegetables so he's got stable blood sugar that doesn't affect his mood. That's what he attributes his dietary intervention effectiveness to.

He's paid attention to his reactions (like headaches and brain fog) to certain things and eliminated them.

These are things any sensible person with any chronic condition who takes a proactive stance on managing their health does to better their quality of life.

It doesn't make the case for food as medicine. It might make the case for the importance of self-care and engagement in the process of such for people suffering from mental illness.

Thankfully it does make a case that food like Rx meds can help or hurt a pre existing physical and/or medical conditions.

Not necessarily. A proper diet can affect mood in anyone. I see that in my children, for pity's sake. It's more important in people with chronic conditions to be on point with diet and weight management, though. I'd agree with that.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member

"Abstract

Conclusion

Not necessarily. A proper diet can affect mood in anyone. I see that in my children, for pity's sake. It's more important in people with chronic conditions to be on point with diet and weight management, though. I'd agree with that.

Again, this is completely true of prescription medication.