Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Body image issues

Megan_Taylor_P
Megan_Taylor_P Posts: 8 Member
edited July 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Anyone who can relate?

135846316.png

Replies

• rower1018
    rower1018 Posts: 11 Member
    I definitely can. I've dealt with body image issues since I was 11, even though I was a thin child.
  • wilsonunc
    wilsonunc Posts: 45 Member
    Yes, I can relate. I'm a normal weight BMI wise but my tummy and thighs look so large and jiggly. :( I'm working on self-love.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2017
    I still look at myself and see only the flaws. When I see a photo of myself I'm always shocked at how thin I look, because when I look in the mirror, I mostly see the areas that aren't super thin.

This exactly. And when I look in the mirror I still see the chubby girl from before, it's like my mind can't process what I actually look like.
  • Megan_Taylor_P
    Megan_Taylor_P Posts: 8 Member
    It's so frustrating because you can't see yourself for how you really look. I took pictures of myself in a bikini today to try and make myself feel good about my body, and although I realize how healthy I look, all I can look at is the fact that I don't have six pack abs and my "chubby" face. Others would think I am crazy for thinking this but it's how I truly feel. I just always want to lose more and more weight, even though I know ill never look like a supermodel.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Yep.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    So can relate. I've lost a significant amount of weight and desperately need new clothes but every time I go to the store to buy a new wardrobe I get so frustrated because while I'm happy to be going down so much in weight, I struggle seeing the difference and everything looks bad. I've worked my tail off and still have a ways to go but geesh...never thought about this part. So happy yet brain overload.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I'm relatively lean now. If I look puffy one day, or am a little bloated...I really notice it and don't feel as confident.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I used to be happy. Then I decided to start working out more and used workout videos on YT. Don't get me wrong, they are great. But seeing those fit people made me increasingly aware of how I looked.
    Yesterday I went for a BBQ. Chose a nice skirt, but could not find a top I was fond of and left unhappy with how I looked. A friend I haven't seen for a long time and who is very direct and honest told me how nice I looked and how I "glowed". Sudden realisation of body image issues there...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Yup. Moreso since becoming involved with bodybuilding/competing
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yes, definitely. Sometimes I look in the mirror and only see the parts that need work.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Absolutely, and what's worse is that It's different from day to day. I think I struggle with seeing myself objectively at all as somedays (when i'm bloated or after cardio) I see my old self and some days I see myself as much more "fit" or better than i objectively look.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Raegold wrote: »
    YES... I've been realizing lately that I'm never happy with my body, even when I lose weight. Something always seems wrong or could be better. I'm trying to find the positives and the strengths in exactly where I am now. I know I'll look back when I'm like 70 and wish I had appreciated my body in my 30s, regardless of loose skin from kids or cellulite or whatever.

Never a truer word @raegold.
    I am the same weight at 64 as I was in my 30's and have very few pics because I thought I looked chubby.

When I do find a pic I really wonder what my problem was.

(In retrospect, hanging out with tall pear shapes when I was a short apple)

Cheers, h.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I'm much more self conscious at 145 than I was at 220. I look way better in clothes, but the flab and loose skin look worse to me than the extra pounds when I'm in a bathing suit. A lot of what we do is in a boat, pool or beach and my husband thinks I've become completely anti-social, but really, I'm just embarrassed.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I'm much more self conscious at 145 than I was at 220. I look way better in clothes, but the flab and loose skin look worse to me than the extra pounds when I'm in a bathing suit. A lot of what we do is in a boat, pool or beach and my husband thinks I've become completely anti-social, but really, I'm just embarrassed.

Is that you in your profile pic? If so, you look awesome!