Running before and after weight loss

Options
Question about running?

For those that went from being clearly overweight to slim, what are the biggest differences in running you have found?

For example can you go further and do things hurt less?

I think reasonably I should lose maybe another 20lbs and I think that should make running much easier. But wanted to know about peoples experiences on here?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i used to run, i didn't notice running getting easier or harder when i fluctuated in weight. What affected my running most was my cardiovascular and strength condition
  • crewgirl86
    crewgirl86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Definitely- I lost ~40 pounds and feel a tremendous difference, even though I still have ~15 pounds to be within a "normal" BMI weight range. My knees used to hurt while doing lunges, during and after running, and at so many other times. Now I feel absolutely no knee pain at all. I can also run much faster and feel less winded/tired. It has made a huge difference for me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Losing weight should help your speed, if nothing else. It will also lead to less chaffing and your shoes should last longer.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am faster and can go farther...I mean...I dropped that 50 pound weight about 600 miles back.

• DaveMustGetFit
    DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    crewgirl86 wrote: »
    Yes!!! Definitely- I lost ~40 pounds and feel a tremendous difference, even though I still have ~15 pounds to be within a "normal" BMI weight range. My knees used to hurt while doing lunges, during and after running, and at so many other times. Now I feel absolutely no knee pain at all. I can also run much faster and feel less winded/tired. It has made a huge difference for me.

This is what I was hoping someone would say. I ran my first 9K today (working each week up to 10k) but my knees and Lower back hurt a bit.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes! It gets easier I don't know how much is because your cardio is developed and how much is due to weight. I remember my first run that I noticed my stomach didn't bounce with every step I came home smiling like I had finished a marathon. However once you notice it gets easier don't do what I did and use that as an excuse to go crazy I doubled my miles one month and ended up in pain again. Lol Keep going steady and know it will get easier and easier as you go.
  • shrinkyy
    shrinkyy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I could run when I was bigger. Now I'm smaller, my knee is no good anymore, not allowed to run
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    crewgirl86 wrote: »
    ...but my knees and Lower back hurt a bit.

More likely down to form and core strength than your weight. If your knees hurt there are two things to look at; shoes and footstrike.

As far as shoes are concerned, what sort of mileage have you done in them and do you use them for anything else in terms of training?

As far as footstrike is concerned, aim to land the foot as close to directly underneath your centre of mass as you can. If you're over reaching to the front then you generate excessive torque on the lower leg, which can lead to knee pain.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Definitely easier for me now. I'm 5'8 and started running when I was 225lbs. I could struggle to complete a 5K at this weight but that was my limit and my ankles and knees were always sore, as well as my back. I have since lost 60lbs and can comfortably run much faster and much greater distance without pain or soreness. Yesterday I ran nonstop for 11 miles, so yes the weight loss will help with pain and endurance.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Ditto comments that running definitely got easier as I got thinner but I'm not sure how much is due to weight loss and how much is due to strength and conditioning.

That said, given that just walking at a fair pace and climbing stairs made me winded when I was heavier I can't imagine how running wouldn't be easier with less weight to lug around.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

This is what I was hoping someone would say. I ran my first 9K today (working each week up to 10k) but my knees and Lower back hurt a bit.

Can you run shorter distances without knee and/or back pain? Acute pain isn't good but it's normal to feel some discomfort (muscle soreness, fatigue, etc.) when pushing your limits. Be careful of trying to 'push through' the pain and give your body time it needs to recover and adjust. Maybe limit the number of long runs you do in a given week and do lots of stretching.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I can run faster and a little longer, basically do more miles in the same amount of time really. Less weird aches in my legs now. I also don't fall asleep as soon as I get home anymore. I also need a different shoe, went from Mizuno wave creation to the inspires.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm able to run a little faster now that I've lost some weight, although I'm not really trying to increase speed. I just find I cover more ground in the same amount of time.

If you've been running for a while in the same shoes, I'd highly recommend going to a running store to be fitted for a new pair. My lower back pain hasn't returned since I made that investment, and my knees (one of which was injured a few years ago, so I was concerned about it) are tolerating my increased mileage very well.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I've experienced it going both ways!

As a new runner, the aches and pains do go away over time, even as you lose weight. I do believe there is some correlation, but I also believe that it is more about being a new runner and not having developed the muscles to run with proper form.

The biggest change I found while losing weight was my pace.

As someone who gained a lot of weight after an injury I found that when I started running again, the aches did not come back, yet my pace slowed back down to what it was when I was a new runner. So the only change wit the weight gain for me was the pace.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I run in minimalist shoes now. I don't know that I could have done that when I first started and I was still a good 30 pounds overweight.

I still had aches and pains after losing weight, but I have autoimmune and osteo arthritis. The minimalist shoes have helped me have less joint and foot pain.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Huge difference for me! I started running 10 months ago and have lost 40 pounds. I don't ache any more (other than I do get a weird shoulder cramp). I also recover super fast after a run. Like the next day I do not have any soreness at all and I don't get out of breath like I used to.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Give you my background. Lost 80 lb over eight months. To give you my background I have an arthritic knee that needs to be replaced. Since I lost the weight it has gotten easier. I don't have the kind of pain I used to have in my knee my times are faster and I have more stamina.

The stamina and speed will increase overtime because you're able to do more with less stress and pain on your body. From what I've read for every one pound you lose you take the equivalent of 6 to 8 lb of downward Force on your knees and feet.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 15lbs from goal. Lost 100lbs. But I'm still a G cup. I have never been nor will I ever be a runner.
  • DaveMustGetFit
    DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well as of late I have been out of commission due to over training injury on my inside right knee. So annoying! But at least I can do my 5x5s and intervals on the elliptical.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    DietPrada wrote: »
    I'm 15lbs from goal. Lost 100lbs. But I'm still a G cup. I have never been nor will I ever be a runner.

Just in case you ever change your mind, Lane Bryant has awesome full support sports bras that go into higher range cups. I'm a g cup and the bra is very supportive. There's no bounce and they're very comfortable.