Baby Name, need a consensus!

Options

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Put it this way, everyone told me I couldn't name my son Ziggy (first name) because he'd suffer all kinds of torments, complexes, hell & damnation, the ISS falling on his head, the end of the world as we know it.....and guess what? None of that happened! Everyone always remembered who he was and it has never once held him back. He's now almost 22, has a good job, and in his spare time he does voluntary work, teaching adults with learning disabilities to play the guitar. I believe his name has served him well! I don't suppose he'd have it any other way either!

Abby Rose, while sweet (albeit in a Holly Hobby kind of way!), makes me think of Amy Rose...

sa-amy-rose-03.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with Rogue. Besides, the whole thing about rogues is that they are charmingly endearing, and tend to take the risks that other people wouldn't dare to. I'm not saying they don't have criminal tendencies but it's not as though you're toying with the idea of calling her 'axe-wielding-maniac', is it? I wonder whether the parents of all the Johns, Peters, Annes, Susans etc. put as much thought into naming their children?!

For the record, I quite like Abigail Rouge too - it's a bit like Red Sonja! :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Abby Rose is lovely.

I do love the idea of Abby Rogue, especially as someone with an unusual name myself, BUT she would battle through life with everyone spelling it wrong. Half the people in various online role-playing games spell in Rouge which is more blusher than X-Men!
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    Even though its so common, honestly, I prefer Rose here. That g sound is just sounding a little harsh when I play it in my head. But it's your kid!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    By the way, I recommend reading 'Freakonomics' by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner; there is an entire section devoted to children's names. It makes fascinating reading. :smile:
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Abigail means Joy of the father

Rose means, a rose, a beautiful flower.

Rogue means Dishonest Savage or Unpredictable.

Here is the website I used: http://www.babynames.com/name/Rogue
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Love Rouge!! It's great!!
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My cousins daughter's first name is Rogue...they usually call her Rogie...
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i dont mind either - Abigail is cute. Im an Abbie, and its always served me well ;)
    I think abigail rose is sweet and girly. Im not keen on Rogue for a girl. Id think it quite cute and quirky for a boy though. I dont hate it though.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    how about Lucy Skye :)
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on what you are going to "call" the baby. If you are always going to use the full name and middle name I would go with Rose, if you are basically calling her Abigail or Abby alone I think Rogue would be good. I made sure both of my kids have a different name paired with an "odd" name, so they can choose which to use when they are older:

Devon (odd) James (regular)
    Aeryn (odd) Laurel (regular...okay a little odd as not used a lot these days)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    rogue/rōg/
    Noun: A dishonest or unprincipled man.
    Verb: Remove inferior or defective plants or seedlings from (a crop).

yeah.... great idea....
  • maureenx
    maureenx Posts: 15
    Options
    Have you checked out the meanings of the name "Rogue"?...I would definitely go for Rose...maybe if it was a boy???
    But it's your choice at the end of the day....
    :happy:
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a niece named abbigale. And my parents live on Abbey Road.. lol.. sounds like a plan to me ; ) Abbeys are sweet! : )
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Why not just name her Abbey Road?
    -wtk
  • jamesysmom
    jamesysmom Posts: 38
    Options
    I like the unique, I gave my kids unique names i think. I had a little girl at church named abby and they named her crabby abby when she would be tired or throw a fit. . If I were to have another kid If it was a boy Id name him william andrew, and a girl emma leah . Yall need to do what yall want as it is your child. My nephews middle name is Storm I think it was neat anyway hope it helps My mom gave me my middle name after the song mechele my belle . So there ya go lol Ohh what names are yall considering if its a boy??
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    So, my immediate response was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    But then I had to consider this, it is just a middle name, ( love the X-men movies) but with the 1st version first thought beetles (I too and a huge beetles fan) the second verson , not so much.

Plus I tend to like old fashion names cause you are giving a baby a name that will be "Her" name, that she will have to live with. The first version cause old fashion and CLASSIC, she won't have to carry your association to the name persay.

But then I also thought, OF COURSE you should name your baby WHATEVER you want no matter what.
    Just caust I like traditional namess has nothing to do really with anything.

BUT

this is what i did. I had a couple names picked out for my girls and when I was in the hospital, I let my baby decide and what i mean is when I got to hole the baby, I KNEW of the names I had brought, I KNEW which one was supposed to be her name
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    I would never wish to name my child after a movie character or period of time in society. I still smile when I run across someone named "Mercedes" that was born in the 80's. (My apologies to all the people out there named Mercedes.....no disrespect intended.) My point is I don't like things that will nail a person to any particular period of time.

Abby Rose is lovely.......just lovely.......if it ain't broke...........
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    Course I actually knew a couple whose little girl was born on Easter. They named her "Bunny". EASTER BUNNY!!!! Seriously. I thought it was awful but when she grew up she loved it. Said it was the best thing that ever happened to her cause it was a great conversation starter. So, who knows! Whatever you name your kid........they will grow into it.
  • misikes
    misikes Posts: 1
    Options
    Stick with Rose. I'll admit, I'm biased (it's my middle name too). But look up rogue in the dictionary. It tends to imply someone who is devious, dishonest, untrustworthy, etc. It's also a character class in a lot of RPGs (both online and old-fashioned paper and pencil, like WoW and D&D), and it's the class that is generally sneaky, thiefly, and attacks from the shadows. I don't know that you want to stick those associations on your little girl!

I was thinking the same thing. You'll have more people thinking you and hubby are die-hard MMO fans rather than Beatles fans. I absolutely love the name Abigail, though, and Rose sounds like it would mesh much more soundly. :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying they don't have criminal tendencies but it's not as though you're toying with the idea of calling her 'axe-wielding-maniac', is it?

hahahaha....Abigail Axe-weilding-maniac Miller.........has a nice ring to it!