Options

Replies

• chrissymoore06
    chrissymoore06 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    mdeck86 wrote: »
    I skip breakfast. Is this what you mean?

Same here.

Aaaaand same here. There is not weight loss benefit to IF. I can help you manage calories though.

How is there no benefit? That doesnt add up.

As I said, it can help you manage calories. But other than that, there is no inherent metabolic benefit for weight loss to IF. IF + calories greater than TDEE = weight gain. IF + calories lower than TDEE = weight loss. There is no magic fairy dust in doing IF.

So, what part doesn't add up for you?
    mdeck86 wrote: »

Same here.

Aaaaand same here. There is not weight loss benefit to IF. I can help you manage calories though.

As I said, it can help you manage calories. But other than that, there is no inherent metabolic benefit for weight loss to IF. IF + calories greater than TDEE = weight gain. IF + calories lower than TDEE = weight loss. There is no magic fairy dust in doing IF.

So, what part doesn't add up for you?

Thank you. That better sums it up. I have hypothyroidism and was having trouble with losing weight. I consulted witg my dr on fasting and he said the same. It help control calories while giving your body time to digest. Micheal phelps has alot of good ideas on this.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    The key to weight loss is amount of time in a fasted state. If you're not in a fasted state you're not burning fat. That is why IF helps. From what I understand it takes somewhere around 12 hours after your last intake of food.
    I do a daily 23 hour fast and lose an average of 3 pounds per week, 160 in total.
    In the past focusing only on calories and exercise I could never get past 20-30 pounds. It works in the short run but is not sustainable for most. There is ample evidence of that.
    The other benefit to an IF plan like one-meal-per-day which is what I do, is that it's easy and liberating. No more obsession with calories. Clears your mind and frees up time and money. It changed my life.

No......

This ^

And of course this
    The key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. And unless you have 150 pounds to lose, you should not be losing 3 pounds a week
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    This is my second day doing a 14 hour fast. I started with a 10 hour fast then 12 and now 14. Ive lost about 3 pounds in the past three weeks. Just wanted to know if anyone else is doing this and their progress and their thoughts on it.

You are probably eating at a very slight deficit reducing a couple of hours eating window. IF is not magic, it just keeps you eating a bit less. You can definitely over eat more than your maintenance or deficit calories and gain weight..
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    I am going on what my dr told me for my health condition. Not just google.
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    I researched IF before choosing to do this as well as consulting with my dr. I dont starve myself I just eat from 8 am to 6 pm then wait till 8 am the following day to eat again. My dr wouldnt support it otherwise. There are professional athletes that also do this. If your really interested and want to learn about it. Research it and dicuss it with your dr. And yes your body is always burning but can do it better if its not also trying to digest big meals. I am going on what my dr and research has taught me.

8am to 6pm? Isn't that a normal eating window for most people who don't do IF?

No some people have late night snacks and dinners.
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    I never said i lost three pounds in a week. I said i lost three pounds in three weeks.
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    I gradually eased into fasting over a three week period.
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    I never claimed it was a magic weiggt loss plan. This post was for other people who have fasted and thier experience with it. If your against it fine thats your choice. I wanted to hear from experienced fasters not negitive thoughts. I have seen a postive result and will continue to do what works for me.
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    I trust that with my health condition that he is a expert in.That he would know how fasting would effect my thyroid. They have to know how anything would effect the thyroid.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Do you think you'll be able to keep the weight off once the fasting stops?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MikeEsko wrote: »

Same here.

I think he means there is no added weight loss benefit compared to other ways of losing weight. It still works on the idea of CICO, if you eat too many calories even in a small window you will still gain weight, same as any other eating style. They are doing studies on other benefits of fasting, like oxidative cellular repair, less insulin spikes throughout the day etc you can see studies done on NIH if you're are interested in potential health benefits, jury is still out though.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you think you'll be able to keep the weight off once the fasting stops?

Many people still practice IF into maintenance. They'll just be eating more calories in that window.
  • chrissymoore06
    Options
    My dr backed up that fasting like you said above is a calorie control method not magic weight loss. If e eryone would take the time to read my comments instead of jumping the gun theyed see i am not claiming its a faster weight loss plan. It just helped me and thats all I was saying.