Children's nutrition help?

Options
Is there an app or game to help teach kids healthy eating? Games and rewards seem to work well and a fun app could be helpful? My son isn't gaining weight at all, he's 7, a horrible picky eater, who now falls asleep fighting the battle at the table. :( I really need help.

Replies

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's worth "fighting the battle at the table" as by the sound of it, you aren't winning if he's falling asleep. It'll just make you more stressed, he'll pick up on it and realise that he, not you, is in control of the situation.

My friend had a son who went through a "picky" stage and would only eat yoghurt and drink milk. My friend tried to get him to eat other foods as she was worried about malnutrition but he just wouldn't. In the end she took him to a dietitian who told her to stop trying to get him to eat other food and to let him eat what he wanted whilst the rest of the family carried on with their normal diet. The dietitian said that he'd get over the picky stage and would want to eat what the rest of the family were having.

And it worked. The picky stage lasted about six months and then he started to eat the same food as the rest of the family and now, aged 18, is a healthy individual who eats anything.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend "Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook" by Ellyn Satter.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Is there an app or game to help teach kids healthy eating? Games and rewards seem to work well and a fun app could be helpful? My son isn't gaining weight at all, he's 7, a horrible picky eater, who now falls asleep fighting the battle at the table. :( I really need help.

Uhg! My seven year old is driving us crazy too. She understands being healthy, but she's so damn picky. We have resorted to punishment for not eating small portions of what we serve, because she is anemic and has other issues from refusing to try anything new. I hate doing it, but we tried the positive approach for 7 years and it hasn't worked. The punishment route is.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's worth "fighting the battle at the table" as by the sound of it, you aren't winning if he's falling asleep. It'll just make you more stressed, he'll pick up on it and realise that he, not you, is in control of the situation.

My friend had a son who went through a "picky" stage and would only eat yoghurt and drink milk. My friend tried to get him to eat other foods as she was worried about malnutrition but he just wouldn't. In the end she took him to a dietitian who told her to stop trying to get him to eat other food and to let him eat what he wanted whilst the rest of the family carried on with their normal diet. The dietitian said that he'd get over the picky stage and would want to eat what the rest of the family were having.

And it worked. The picky stage lasted about six months and then he started to eat the same food as the rest of the family and now, aged 18, is a healthy individual who eats anything.

This.. My son went through a pancakes and chicken nuggets phase that lasted it seemed like forever. Now he's a 15 year old eating machine and needs a dang job. :laugh:

My daughtrs picky stage has lasted 7 years. It's seriously affecting her health now. I'm done being patient :-(
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

This.. My son went through a pancakes and chicken nuggets phase that lasted it seemed like forever. Now he's a 15 year old eating machine and needs a dang job. :laugh:

My daughtrs picky stage has lasted 7 years. It's seriously affecting her health now. I'm done being patient :-(

We had to supplement with Pediasure. Maybe ask about that.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My 9 year old son has his annual dr. appointment next week and this is on my 'to talk about' list. The kid seriously just doesn't care about eating and if I don't get after him he would go all day without food. He was labeled failure to thrive as an infant and has always been small, and unfortunately this is carrying over into his older years sigh.... I'm especially concerned because he needs to get tested for ADHD (he has every symptom of it, so the test will just be a formality), and I've heard that most of the meds are appetite suppressants ugh. We might have to put him on Pediasure or something. So no advice but I totally get where you're at!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    @alyangel123 oh my life, what you have had to go through with your son must have been such a tough time! I'm so glad to hear he is eating more normally now. Great job Mom!!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The best way is to lead by example. Cook and eat healthy foods yourself, and expect him to do the same by not buying "special" kid foods and cooking separate meals for him out of unhealthy foods that he finds acceptable. If kids see that they aren't going to get a different meal if they whine and complain about the one that you cooked, they'll eventually get hungry enough to eat what you prepared. Even if they end up skipping a meal or two, just keep offering what you cooked for the rest of the family, and they'll eventually eat.

This is coming from a former ultra-picky eater that would wait out meals at the table until mom would cook me something that I approved of, no matter how long doing that took. In retrospect, I wish that she would have done this for me.

I agree with this method to a point. If a child has any medical issues that might complicate it, then you just need to feed your child even if it means cooking a separate meal.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old son has his annual dr. appointment next week and this is on my 'to talk about' list. The kid seriously just doesn't care about eating and if I don't get after him he would go all day without food. He was labeled failure to thrive as an infant and has always been small, and unfortunately this is carrying over into his older years sigh.... I'm especially concerned because he needs to get tested for ADHD (he has every symptom of it, so the test will just be a formality), and I've heard that most of the meds are appetite suppressants ugh. We might have to put him on Pediasure or something. So no advice but I totally get where you're at!

My son is medicated for adhd. Although it suppresses appetite, he has increased his appetite before he takes his meds and in the evening. Before, part of the lack of eating issue was due to inattentiveness or the inability to slow his mind down to want to eat (not as fun as other things). You may be surprised. We make sure calories count. So, at school sometimes we will throw a cookie in his lunch for extra calories to entice him to eat something. (Schools here hate sugar in lunches but I tell them to not intervene /take it away). He consumes the bulk of his eating between 7 and 8am, and 6 and 730pm. We remind him often though to drink water throughout the day though.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

My son is medicated for adhd. Although it suppresses appetite, he has increased his appetite before he takes his meds and in the evening. Before, part of the lack of eating issue was due to inattentiveness or the inability to slow his mind down to want to eat (not as fun as other things). You may be surprised. We make sure calories count. So, at school sometimes we will throw a cookie in his lunch for extra calories to entice him to eat something. (Schools here hate sugar in lunches but I tell them to not intervene /take it away). He consumes the bulk of his eating between 7 and 8am, and 6 and 730pm. We remind him often though to drink water throughout the day though.

^^THIS^^ My son is 6 and also on ADHD meds on top of already being a picky eater. He eats more in the AM and in the evening, but always skips lunch (the school can't force him to eat...). We feed him Pediasure right before bed (then brush his teeth and make sure he pees ;) ). I find that not only do the ADHD meds suppress the appetite, but also mess with the way foods taste and how he accepts food textures.

Right now we just want him to EAT, so we fix foods we know he'll eat.
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Take away sugary foods? What on earth! Are they the parents now? Nonsense.

Lol and yeah not giving dessert doesn't need to be punishment if you frame it right. It's more...omg look at the amazing treat you get when you finish, I can't wait. Quick eat up, the cake is waiting. omg just three bites and you get apples wow..and if they don't eat, well never mind, you can have it next time....Not, you can't have any of this cake until you eat because you're bad by not eating now eat or never have cake again haha

Imagine if I told you: you can't have something if you don't do as I say, a part of you would be like, alright screw you then I don't need it that much, thank you very much lolol that's what I imagine my son thinks when I'm bossing him about, he certainly gives me that look haha
  • dustbringer
    dustbringer Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Is there an app or game to help teach kids healthy eating? Games and rewards seem to work well and a fun app could be helpful?

My kids love playing the games on the choose my plate website. They are particularly fond of "Blast Off" and "Trainer." :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this with my kids are healthy, mentally and physically... well sometimes I question mentally :wink:

I'm pretty strict with meals. They have to eat a small portion of what I make. If they don't it gets wrapped up for their next meal. Eventually they will be hungry enough to eat it. My older two caught on fairly quickly and will eat without much complaining. My youngest (4 year old) will announce that she's saving her dinner for breakfast. And yes she will eat it at breakfast. Sometimes she'll even save it for lunch...

Having my kids help prepare dinner has really opened them up to trying food. They get excited about it.

I also eliminated snacks in between meals. We eat 3 square meals a day. If they are snacking they won't be properly hungry for their next meal. I may have to rethink this as my kids are getting more and more into sports and school activities.

I've also witnessed my kids coming around to meals that they sobbed over having to eat. After eating it a few times they tell me they love it. That's why I believe making them try dishes a few times is good for them.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Oh my, I didn't even think there may be a connection but that makes perfect sense! He seriously cannot sit still and stands at the dinner table (or is under it :p ). We pulled him from traditional school last year and he does an online program through a local district now, so he has the freedom to move around and not be around other kids, which is a trigger. Being around him all the time now though makes me realize how bad it is-both with his attention issues and then his food issues. He has his appointment on Thursday with the pediatrician and I'm getting a referral for the testing, (pediatrician recommended it last year but we had bad insurance that wouldn't cover it), and I'll for sure bring this up, thanks so much!

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Our kids are allowed to stand at the table as well to eat. We also have a couple high stools with backs that they seem to like. We are pretty relaxed now with meals as our priorities have shifted (want calories in them vs sitting) or having something else to do while eating (book, colouring, watching ipad, etc) . ADHD is excruciating to have and only eat and do one thing at the time, lol. Very hard for them. Whatever works for your family is okay! Us asd/adhd parents understand :)