How do you stop yourself from doing the wrong thing you want to do?

Replies

• whoffmann
    whoffmann Posts: 16 Member
    KelseyRL wrote: »
    There's also a great book called the Willpower Instinct.

Thank you for the book recommendation KelseyRL.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I've had luck with substitution instead of deprivation. For example, I love love love popcorn. First, I stopped buying the big microwave bags and switched to the lower calorie pre-popped style. Then I switched to single serving microwave bags, less healthy but (imho) better tasting, and harder to overindulge. It's still the delicious snack I love so very much, but I know that the smaller serving will do me. Can you switch to a brand of cookies you still like but are less likely to binge? Something else to crave the sweet tooth? Individually packaged treats? I promise you can do it! The last time I made a full bag of microwave popcorn I couldn't believe I used to eat these regularly (sometimes two bags in a row!). Gradual changes really can stick if you do it right.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Man do I want some popcorn now. :smiley:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I will add that I do keep some 86% cocoa "healthy" bitter chocolate in the refrigerator when I want those particular 60 calories, and I keep a bag of milk chocolate covered peanuts hidden under my bed for occasions when I want those particular 60 calories. Once every week or two I'll have one or the other.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    I would eat the whole package too. I can't be trusted with portion size junk food. I can't just eat one. That said, eat something before you go to the store. My treat is a Starbucks skinny mocha for 140 cals which I take shopping with me. It helps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member
    whoffmann wrote: »
    How do you...not? How do you not buy the cookies?

The cookies cost money ... and I'd rather spend the money on other things.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think it really sounds like counseling might help you. I sort of hate being "that person" who says so, but I know counseling helped me to identify some areas where I was self-sabotaging.

I know that's not an option for everyone.

My other advice is to set yourself up for success, as cliche as it may sound. Buy the single serving cookies. I do that with Oreos. I get the double Stuf six-in-a-pack that is still pretty high calorie, and a milk, and I go to freakin' town because I know if I bought a big package of Oreos, I would be in them time & time again for a week until they were gone. Even though I wouldn't eat them all at once, it would still be a detriment to my nutritional goals.

Everyone has their stuff that they tend to overeat. My husband's thing is ice cream. This means we go out for single scoops and the occasional sundae, but we never have a big container of ice cream in our freezer. Ideally, yes, we would both have excellent self-control and either not have ice cream at all, or be able to make a gallon last for a month plus...sometimes that isn't reality.

Good luck with your goals.
  • esmerelda9479
    esmerelda9479 Posts: 31 Member
    I cut out my trigger foods. Cheese, pizza, crackers. I know I would eat the whole thing. It's easier to just live without them. Chew on ice, cucumbers, nuts. Basically I subsitute with a healthier option. I feel better eating a bowl of berries instead of a bowl of ice cream.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Stay out the store I would say. I don't think it has anything to do with being "heavy set" . Its just hard adapting to a new lifestyle change. People of all shapes and sizes eat junk food all the time it's just good and addictive it's normal . When I started losing weight i had that issue but I stop eating junk food because I knew it would just make me worse . Losing weight and looking at the scale is motivating trust me just eat some fruits . Peanuts . Yogurts . And as you see the scale going down you won't even care you'll be soo much happier you didn't get those cookies .
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    When I buy stuff like that, it usually doesn't even make it home. I'm tearing into the bag on the drive home. I still do it sometimes, but rather than a whole package of Oreos, I get the kids pack. It's still 400 calories that makes me feel like crap, but better than 4000.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    When I buy stuff like that, it usually doesn't even make it home. I'm tearing into the bag on the drive home. I still do it sometimes, but rather than a whole package of Oreos, I get the kids pack. It's still 400 calories that makes me feel like crap, but better than 4000.

Same here! I think the one I get is 360 or something. The lady at the convenience store knew me for awhile when I would get it once or twice a month, haha...the Oreo pack and a small milk. She tried to upsell me a bigger package of cookies and I said to her, "Nah, if I have 64 Oreos I'll probably eat them all. Better to have six or eight" hehe
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2017
    Before you go food shopping: 1) Have a list - and say "i'm only getting what is on my list", 2) Drink a glass or large cup of water before you go to the super market (sometimes we think we are hungry when in fact we are thirsty).

While you are shopping: 1) ONLY Go down the aisles you must go to (you obviously know where the cookie section is)-->AVOID THAT SECTION even if you *think* you have to - you don't -you KNOW this -- don't say "explicative" to your body/health because when you think you're saying a big ol' *explicative* to the world you are in fact saying *explicative* to yourself.

Treat yourself to your achievement of not buying the cookie by doing something for yourself that is positive--> rent that movie you've been wanting to see, go out with your wife, etc. --> treat your body like a temple not a playground.
  • pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2017
    What helps me is looking at the serving and how many calories it has. Not ever going back to not caring about the calories. I remind myself that it's empty calories. I can have some fruit or something healthier. Not worth it, that cookie don't control you, you control the cookie.
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Hi. I dont gice into my cravings except on cheat days. And even then, a cheat day osnt about eating as much as you can and bkowung your calories out of the water; it is about having something you don't normally hace that may not be as good for you.

This sounds like a self control issue. What i would do is this. Next time you have a craving while in the store, put the box of cookies down, walk over to the bakery section and buy 1 or 2 cookies. Make sure you track them. Enjoy them slowly and make it a goal to do it only once a month. Goos luck, you got this!