Is Being Vegetarian Harming me as Hypothyroid?

Hi, I'm having a bit of a crisis in my life, as I said in a previous post, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism nearly 3 months ago, and have been taking Eltroxin 50mcg everyday and it is kicking in as I feel a little better, but I'm still tired and my weight is not budging, even though I'm not going over my calorie budget. I'm very frustrated as the reason I want to lose weight is not just about looking or feeling good but my birthday is coming up in just under 12 weeks, and I'm not expecting to lose loads of weight, nothing ridiculous, but I would like to remove a good few pounds. As I said before, I work at home, so my lifestyle is restricted and having Hypothyroid means I get tired very easily and don't have the energy to do intensive exercise or go walking for miles and miles a day.

What I want help with is what exercise I could do at home that would be intensive or put too much strain on me. The other thing though is what being vegetarian is doing to my Thyroid? I don't eat meat for ethical reasons but I've noticed terrible cravings for it since I've been diagnosed.

I'm very conflicted about what to do, because my body is obviously missing something, and I'm wondering if it is impairing me in trying to lose weight as well? I do suffer with depression and anxiety so, that causes me a lot of stress too. I don't know, I'd love some sound advice on what I should do and how I should tackle these issues? Sorry if it's all muddled, just don't have anyone to discuss this with!

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Have you asked your doctor these questions? It is exactly what he/she is there for. You shouldn't even have to make an appointment. I leave voicemails for my child's pediatrician and she returns the call with my answer.

Also, you don't have to walk for miles and miles, but even just a little bit of walking if helpful. Gentle or beginner yoga is also a suggestion.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As far as I know, vegetarianism -- in and of itself -- won't do anything to your thyroid. There are some things that vegetarians might need to focus on like getting sufficient iodine, B vitamins, vitamin D, and fat. Without knowing what you eat, I'm not sure if these are issues for you. If you're struggling with how to balance your vegetarianism with your diagnosis, are you in a situation where your doctor can get you a referral to a registered dietitian? They could probably help you figure out if you are getting all your needs met on your current diet.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    there will be an adjustment period for your meds and they may need to be adjusted (normal cycle is about 3 months between dosage changes for blood work to allow for build up in system)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Re exercise: I work from home, too, and have knee and now hip issues that keep me from being as active as I'd like. Never-the-less, I make a point of getting some exercise at lunchtime - this might be walking a mile or two, doing some yoga, gardening, weight lifting, ice skating, roller blading, or snowshoeing (this is really exhausting so not recommending it for you, plus it's August).

When I'm not active at lunch I am sluggish in the afternoon and get the munchies.

I also try to get some additional exercise in the AM or PM.
  • kshama2001
    Re diet, sure, vegetarians have to work a little harder to get enough protein but it is completely doable. What percentage is your protein goal set to and how well are you meeting it? Cottage cheese is a great low calorie source of protein.
  • MischaMay87
    MischaMay87 Posts: 18 Member
    Have you asked your doctor these questions? It is exactly what he/she is there for. You shouldn't even have to make an appointment. I leave voicemails for my child's pediatrician and she returns the call with my answer.

Also, you don't have to walk for miles and miles, but even just a little bit of walking if helpful. Gentle or beginner yoga is also a suggestion.

Hi, yeah I've talked to my doctor, and she said that being vegetarian wont cause any damage to me, she just said I need to do it properly by eating the right food and getting the right amount of vitamins and such while being vegetarian, but I didn't about my thyroid and dietary requirements with it.
  • MischaMay87
    As far as I know, vegetarianism -- in and of itself -- won't do anything to your thyroid. There are some things that vegetarians might need to focus on like getting sufficient iodine, B vitamins, vitamin D, and fat. Without knowing what you eat, I'm not sure if these are issues for you. If you're struggling with how to balance your vegetarianism with your diagnosis, are you in a situation where your doctor can get you a referral to a registered dietitian? They could probably help you figure out if you are getting all your needs met on your current diet.

Unfortunately I don't think my GP doctor can do that, and I'm not sure how much it would cost as I wouldn't be covered (I'm in Ireland). I think I'm probably deficient in something, perhaps B12, and that is why I'm craving, but it is mostly the lack of being able to lose any weight that is effecting me most.
  • MischaMay87
    there will be an adjustment period for your meds and they may need to be adjusted (normal cycle is about 3 months between dosage changes for blood work to allow for build up in system)

I had my recent blood test, and my thyroid is back to normal after being on it for 2 months, she said I would only need blood tests every 6 to 12 months now as it was stable. Thank you for replying!
  • MischaMay87
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re exercise: I work from home, too, and have knee and now hip issues that keep me from being as active as I'd like. Never-the-less, I make a point of getting some exercise at lunchtime - this might be walking a mile or two, doing some yoga, gardening, weight lifting, ice skating, roller blading, or snowshoeing (this is really exhausting so not recommending it for you, plus it's August).

When I'm not active at lunch I am sluggish in the afternoon and get the munchies.

I also try to get some additional exercise in the AM or PM.

I would probably be better doing exercise at lunch time too. I use to do Yoga, but because of how exhausted and achy I am since the thyroid, it seems much harder, but I did enjoy it, at least the mild workouts. I also was given a stationary exercise bike by a neighbour, so I will try to do 10 minutes everyday on that, but it is hard also. I sound like a crybaby but it causes such aches and tiredness and like you said, I also get insatiable cravings for munchies in the evening whenever I do a bit of exercise.
  • MischaMay87
    Re diet, sure, vegetarians have to work a little harder to get enough protein but it is completely doable. What percentage is your protein goal set to and how well are you meeting it? Cottage cheese is a great low calorie source of protein.

I'm not entirely sure, I know I'm not getting enough nutrients as I should be as I'm on a very tight budget with money, so it makes it hard for me to splurge on lots of different foods or spices, nuts and seeds, as their expensive here (I'm in Ireland). I do eat plenty of vegetables, and have some fruit when I can, I have a very sweet tooth for chocolate, and I don't eat very much carbs, perhaps two slices of bread a day, and I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, only drink water, never have soda's.

So yeah, I think the weight not shifting is definitely due to my thyroid, and not having the energy to do lots of exercise. I have a stationary bike, so I try do 10 minutes a day, and I walk my dogs an hour a day anyway, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Thank you for your replies!
  • kshama2001

Ya, I don't eat regular salt, which has iodine added to it. When I also stopped making and eating Thai food regularly, I developed symptoms of iodine deficiency, which include depression, fatigue, and hair loss. I started taking kelp tablets, but have recently switched to Iodoral, which is supposed to be better absorbed.

@MischaMay87 talk to your doctor about being tested for iodine deficiency, as well as other deficiencies that cause fatigue like B and iron. Because of your hypothyroidism you should have tests and instructions on how much to take and what forms to take. A cheap multi is not a solution for you.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    May I suggest you read from a thyroid support site, ours in the UK is very helpful, other countries have their own and the ones I looked at some time ago had much the same information as ours. There is also Stop the Thyroid Madness principally in the US, the hypothyroid mom, is another but there are many more, even one by a pharmacist who is also under our umbrella.

You say you are hypo, I wonder what tests your doctor completed. In the US often it is possible to have several simultaneous tests carried out, tsh is fairly standard as is t4. Many see knowing the t3 levels as most important. this is the most active form of thyroid hormone and it comes in two versions t3 and reverse t3. Regrettably reverse t3 will never do the job of the regular t3, it will not fit the into your cells in the correct way, many doctors if they are permitted to test this one will only do a total so they never discover the disparity, which could worsten symptoms. Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies? I think they come in two forms, but don't quote me. These show that your immune system is involved and there is some damage to the thyroid, the higher the number the greater the potential for damage. If someone does not have antibodies they are probably deficient in iodine which is probably the medication you are being given. It is possible for some to have difficulties converting t4 into t3, this needs an assortment of vitamins and minerals which is why its well to read up for yourself.

When the immune system is involved is probably beneficial to improve your digestive microbes, as some are less beneficial and will in the right conditions out number the most helpful ones.

On a side track, have you read/seen it is advisable for vegetarians and vegans to supplement with vitamin b 12, (it also needs b6 to work its wonders). I had a multitude of issues and greatly improved when I started taking b12. Some people, particularly those who have Hashi (me) are possibly low in b 12 because they lack or are reduced in the enzyme which protects it as it travels from the mouth trough the stomach to where is absorbed (intrinsic factor). Vitamin d is another which may be helpful but a well designed multi vitamin and mineral may be helpful to cover the things which aid conversion. There are some vit/min supplements which are specifically designed to help hypothyroid people.

As you see it can be complicated trying to support your body to be the best functioning you can manage which is why I recommend reading round your symptoms and work towards improving them.

All the very best, I hope you discover the best things to help your personal recover your health.

btw, there is a hyper/hypo group on here but it is rather quiet at the moment.
  • 1calady
    1calady Posts: 2 Member
    Due to your craving meat, I'm wondering if anyone has checked your iron? Could you be anemic which also would drain your energy?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    How many grams of protein are you typically getting? It's hard to tell, but the food you listed sounded like protein could be on the low side. We veg people do still need adequate protein, iron, vitamin D/B6/B12, and calcium.

I've been vegetarian for 43 years, both before and after becoming hypothyroid; while being thin, overweight, obese & recently thin again; and while being obese/inactive, obese/very active; and now thin/very active. My vegetarianism didn't seem to have any effect, bad or good, on any of that.

If your thyroid condition is properly medicated, you should be feeling better. Nutritional issues, a T3/T4 problem (as described above), or some undiagnosed medical issues are possibilities.

Also, I hate to say it and don't do so to be mean, but I had a lot more pain and stiffness when I was very inactive. It was difficult to become more active, especially at first, but it's been very helpful for me. (I started being active around age 46, after cancer treatment and hypothyroid diagnosis, and am 61 now and reasonably fit/active).

I hope you're able to find a solution!
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    I take a protein shake with almond milk that is v high protein and has lots of vitamins also. It's called sun warrior. Comes in chocolate flavour so you could curb your sweet tooth also. It costs me €50 a tub and that lasts well over a month. Also boots do some very good value vitamins; i currently take magnesium, Vit D, B vits all own brand and sometimes another multi called Swisse. (Am in Ireland also). Also tesco do a great range of organic cannelloni and kidney beans and chickpeas in cartons, they are 99c a carton and one would easily so a couple of dinners. It's worth putting a few quid monthly to building up the spice cupboard (again I think tesco own brand runs at 49c -€1.50 a jar for herbs / spices.
    I also lean on Quorn products (buy in bulk when they are on offer). So handy for adding extra protein and flavour to dinner.
  • MischaMay87
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    May I suggest you read from a thyroid support site, ours in the UK is very helpful, other countries have their own and the ones I looked at some time ago had much the same information as ours. There is also Stop the Thyroid Madness principally in the US, the hypothyroid mom, is another but there are many more, even one by a pharmacist who is also under our umbrella.

You say you are hypo, I wonder what tests your doctor completed. In the US often it is possible to have several simultaneous tests carried out, tsh is fairly standard as is t4. Many see knowing the t3 levels as most important. this is the most active form of thyroid hormone and it comes in two versions t3 and reverse t3. Regrettably reverse t3 will never do the job of the regular t3, it will not fit the into your cells in the correct way, many doctors if they are permitted to test this one will only do a total so they never discover the disparity, which could worsten symptoms. Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies? I think they come in two forms, but don't quote me. These show that your immune system is involved and there is some damage to the thyroid, the higher the number the greater the potential for damage. If someone does not have antibodies they are probably deficient in iodine which is probably the medication you are being given. It is possible for some to have difficulties converting t4 into t3, this needs an assortment of vitamins and minerals which is why its well to read up for yourself.

When the immune system is involved is probably beneficial to improve your digestive microbes, as some are less beneficial and will in the right conditions out number the most helpful ones.

On a side track, have you read/seen it is advisable for vegetarians and vegans to supplement with vitamin b 12, (it also needs b6 to work its wonders). I had a multitude of issues and greatly improved when I started taking b12. Some people, particularly those who have Hashi (me) are possibly low in b 12 because they lack or are reduced in the enzyme which protects it as it travels from the mouth trough the stomach to where is absorbed (intrinsic factor). Vitamin d is another which may be helpful but a well designed multi vitamin and mineral may be helpful to cover the things which aid conversion. There are some vit/min supplements which are specifically designed to help hypothyroid people.

As you see it can be complicated trying to support your body to be the best functioning you can manage which is why I recommend reading round your symptoms and work towards improving them.

All the very best, I hope you discover the best things to help your personal recover your health.

btw, there is a hyper/hypo group on here but it is rather quiet at the moment.

Thank you! This was very helpful, and I've had all the tests, but I don't take any vitamins so I may start taking the B12 to see if it will help, as I probably am deficient in nutrients somewhere.
  • MischaMay87

Ya, I don't eat regular salt, which has iodine added to it. When I also stopped making and eating Thai food regularly, I developed symptoms of iodine deficiency, which include depression, fatigue, and hair loss. I started taking kelp tablets, but have recently switched to Iodoral, which is supposed to be better absorbed.

@MischaMay87 talk to your doctor about being tested for iodine deficiency, as well as other deficiencies that cause fatigue like B and iron. Because of your hypothyroidism you should have tests and instructions on how much to take and what forms to take. A cheap multi is not a solution for you.

I'm going next week to my doctor so I will ask to get that checked as well, thank you!
  • MischaMay87
    1calady wrote: »
    Due to your craving meat, I'm wondering if anyone has checked your iron? Could you be anemic which also would drain your energy?

Well, my grandmother was anemic, and my mother had low iron at one stage, so it is possible I have it too and will get it checked to be sure, Thank you!
  • MischaMay87
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How many grams of protein are you typically getting? It's hard to tell, but the food you listed sounded like protein could be on the low side. We veg people do still need adequate protein, iron, vitamin D/B6/B12, and calcium.

I've been vegetarian for 43 years, both before and after becoming hypothyroid; while being thin, overweight, obese & recently thin again; and while being obese/inactive, obese/very active; and now thin/very active. My vegetarianism didn't seem to have any effect, bad or good, on any of that.

If your thyroid condition is properly medicated, you should be feeling better. Nutritional issues, a T3/T4 problem (as described above), or some undiagnosed medical issues are possibilities.

Also, I hate to say it and don't do so to be mean, but I had a lot more pain and stiffness when I was very inactive. It was difficult to become more active, especially at first, but it's been very helpful for me. (I started being active around age 46, after cancer treatment and hypothyroid diagnosis, and am 61 now and reasonably fit/active).

I hope you're able to find a solution!

Thank you, I'm getting more tests for bloods and stuff, but yeah, I am going to start making out meal plans and trying to add more protein in my diet and stuff.
  • MischaMay87
    I take a protein shake with almond milk that is v high protein and has lots of vitamins also. It's called sun warrior. Comes in chocolate flavour so you could curb your sweet tooth also. It costs me €50 a tub and that lasts well over a month. Also boots do some very good value vitamins; i currently take magnesium, Vit D, B vits all own brand and sometimes another multi called Swisse. (Am in Ireland also). Also tesco do a great range of organic cannelloni and kidney beans and chickpeas in cartons, they are 99c a carton and one would easily so a couple of dinners. It's worth putting a few quid monthly to building up the spice cupboard (again I think tesco own brand runs at 49c -€1.50 a jar for herbs / spices.
    I also lean on Quorn products (buy in bulk when they are on offer). So handy for adding extra protein and flavour to dinner.

Hi, this was very helpful, I will definitely be checking out the shake, as I'm always busy and never able to plan my meals, a shake would definitely keep me from snacking, and a chocolate shake would probably help towards my sweet cravings. Thanks for this, really helpful :)