Gained 10lb in a weekend after going out to eat... two months of clean diet later, it's still there

Replies

• pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member
    Yes, Dr. Visit for sure. Praying for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2017
    opalneria wrote: »
    Have you double-checked all the database entries for the food you eat regularly to make sure you haven't accidentally used some inaccurate ones? When I got started, I was using some that were off by quite a bit.

Yes! This is a good thought, and I actually have to go in and manually add in quite a few corrected entries, frankly. I did notice this about... two years ago, I was definitely misreporting my calories simply because some entries were outdated or perhaps from other markets or something... however it happens, yeah, I've noticed this issue as well.

I do have to trust some of them (ie peaches or other fruits/veg that don't come with nutritional info) but I'm not sure what else can be done there, unfortunately. It's possible that the produce are really off in MFP, but I hope not!

If there are raw ingredients or unlabeled things that you use a lot, it might be worth double checking. I have had good results just by Googling something like "lentils nutritional information." It's the foods without labels that I have noticed some of the biggest issues with.

It might be a long shot, but given everything else you've checked and clarified. . . maybe?
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    I don't have anything to add to what's been said above... Good luck to you - sooo frustrating!! I know it takes me forever to lose anything at all due to Type II diabetes and Insulin Resistance <sigh> If your Dr performs the tests that were suggested, I hope you find your answer ((Hugs))
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    opalneria wrote: »
    My primary issue is I tend to carry weight on my stomach, so I want to cut that down for health and aesthetic reasons. I think if I carried weight a bit more evenly, I wouldn't be so concerned, but... my stomach has other ideas!

Have you ever considered resistance training instead of dieting? If you build up your abs/core a bit, it'll make your waist a bit slimmer even without fat loss.
  • sanihe
    sanihe Posts: 1 Member
    Please ask your doctor to check your thyroid (blood test), or look for an endocrinologist. Hypothyroidism could cause the weight gain (probably not overnight, but maybe your scale was lying to you before - they tend to do that sometimes :# ) and be at fault for your slow metabolism. Do you maybe suffer from exhaustion and headaches?
    I had the same problem and with the right dose of medication and MFP I'm finally on my way to drop the pounds I put on while being undiagnosed.
    Best of luck to you!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    I understand how frustrating this can be! My weight loss has been really slow, primarily because any time I eat out, no matter what it is or if it fits into my calories for the day, my weight would spike 5-7 pounds overnight and take at least a couple weeks to come back off. I know it's water weight because obviously if I ate within my calories, it can't be actual fat gain. I started taking potassium and magnesium supplements, as well as Calcium with vitamin D. These are supposed to help counteract the sodium/water retention. Since I started taking them, the biggest spike I've had is about 2 pounds. So it definitely seems to be helping. My doctor also recommended a probiotic to help restructure my gut bacteria. I didn't notice much of a difference after taking it for a couple months, but it may help as well. I really hope you get it figure out!
  • opalneria
    opalneria Posts: 12 Member
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods (raw meats, raw grains/pastas, nuts, raw legumes, fruits, veg, butter, mayo, yogurt, anything prepackaged/single serve etc) in grams, and cups/spoons for liquid only?

Do you choose the correct database entries? Have you updated your diet profile since you've lost weight?

You edited your post to say you weigh your food after I posted my question. There's an exit time stamp. It wasn't there from the beginning.

I wanted to add: do you log cooking oils and beverages? Do you use USDA entries for fruits, veg and meat? Also, there are many false entries in the database. Scanning isn't necessarily accurate and green checkmark entries are not necessarily accurate.

Have you changed the batteries in your food scale and bathroom scale recently? I see others have been asking similar questions but no response.

I'm sorry, I assumed my responding about my weight being consistent across multiple scales (doc, my own, the trainer, etc) would convey the fact that it wasn't a battery issue. My fault. I suppose it's plausible that all of these scales have failing batteries at once, but... it's not likely. This is what I mean about not being able to win - I think something can be logically extrapolated, but it's apparently not clear, but if I outline it, I'm saying too much...

And yes, I log everything. By saying everything, I mean oils and sauces as well. The false entries are a good point, but something I noticed awhile back - I've been using MFP for a few years.

I'm not sure why you keep saying that I edited in the stuff about weighing my food, though - that truly was there from the beginning, even the reiterations. I predicted that people would miss it so I mentioned it multiple times, right alongside the stuff about my body comp and calorie stuff - I'm aware that people tend to jump to "eating too little" and "not recording correctly" as they ARE common issues, so I wanted to stave that off at the head. What I corrected were a few typos like "an" instead of "and", some wording that I felt was a bit too fluffy and made things unclear, and the BMR to TDEE error as well as typing '300' instead of '400'. If you missed it because I was too wordy, that's fine, but I'm not calling you a bad person because of it, so I'm unsure why you feel the need to do this. There is no value judgement of you going on here for missing a few lines in a post; you already said it was too dense and that's why you missed it... I'm just trying to redirect people to where I've already answered things.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Short answer...nobody here knows what's going on. Even at an average of 1400 calories a day (alternating weeks of 1200 and 1600), you should still be losing something on order of 4-5 pounds per month.

One question - was that 137 a true longer term average weight or could you possibly be cherry picking an extreme data point/circumstance and making more of it then it really was?

Personally, I know that my average weight is hovering at 205 right now but I did see a couple of 197s on the scale last week. It was because I weighed myself while extremely dehydrated (hungover), very fasted (I drank my dinner), and immediately after I went to the bathroom first thing in the morning.

I can even make my scale tell me I weigh less than that if I stand on it the wrong way or manage to position one of the scale's feet right on the grout line.

This is also a good point. I was at 138 for about half a week, but even before then, I'd been at 140 consistently. So the jump to 150 is still crazy and sudden.

The 138 point made sense though, as it happened after some time at 1200 after hitting 140, so I do tend to assume it was my actual weight.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    If maintenance is 1600 ("1200 is a 400 cal deficit" per the OP) and that's alternated (I initially read that to be every other week?) every week (averaging 1400) that's only a deficit of 200 cal per day, or 5600 cals per month, which in theory would be 1.6 lbs per month loss.
    Weight loss is slow when you have a small deficit obviously. Not to mention it's very easy to wipe out that small of a deficit with any logging errors.

That's my bad. I was thinking of maintenance as 1800+ from another post.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    thebuz wrote: »
    Has the heat increased where you are? I retain LOTS of water in the heat and carry that all through the summer months. Just a thought. For me it's hereditary. The water weight will drop off when the temperature comes back done towards fall.

I drink tons of water, but I don't think I've increased the amount. I've always been a heavy water drinker though, and this summer has been a bit milder than usual (thank god lol). It's a thought, though. Thank you!

[/quote]

I drink a ton of water also and am extremely active. I only started to notice the water retention in the last year or so. It runs down the women's side of my family and they all seem to struggle with it. I'm 42 and starting to see some pre-menopausal issues/side effects so not sure if that has contributed. Just wanted to expand more on this.

I
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    12 pounds up would put me up TWO sizes. I can't even imagine that happening in a couple of days. Def see a dr.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited August 2017
    So, 2 days after your date you were 12 pounds heavier than before your date. Hmmmm - a puzzle, but a couple of thoughts.
    thebuz wrote: »
    Has the heat increased where you are? I retain LOTS of water in the heat and carry that all through the summer months. Just a thought. For me it's hereditary. The water weight will drop off when the temperature comes back done towards fall.

I agree with this. I retained LOTS of water during the last couple of hot months I was in Florida. I returned to NY in July and much of the fluid retention decreased (not the fat gain though - lol).

I also agree with another poster and wonder if it's a change in scales or your scale position? Maybe you need a new battery? I think the scale itself is the culprit.

Are your clothes fitting any differently?