Do you take supplements? And what would you recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    One note about Vitamin D if you take it + a multivitamin. Recently, manufacturers have been increasing the amounts of Vitamin D in their multivitamins. Ex: From 400iu to 1000iu or greater. Always check labels when buying. You may not need to purchase that extra vitamin D.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Daily multivitamin (mine all the Vit D and Folic Acid I need, plus other vitamins)
    Protein powder to supplement (if I am low on protein that day and/or lifting)
    Melatonin (rarely for sleep, a couple times a month probably)
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Watch this and you'll find out all you need to know. There's probably some swearing, but Dr. Mike Israetel knows what he's talking about. I vote don't bother though, just my two cents. For us regular folks I think we have to try hard enough just to get enough sleep :tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-aFdYmg_Ns
  • GonzosaysMeow
    GonzosaysMeow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    multivitamins every so often (though much research has shown these are probably unnecessary).

Please provide some evidence for this.

My statement was for generally healthy people who eat balanced diets, not pregnant women, vegans, those with certain chronic diseases, etc.

Dolara, P., Bigagli, E. & Collins, Antioxidant vitamins and mineral supplementation, life span expansion and cancer incidence: a critical commentary. A. Eur J Nutr (2012) 51: 769. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-012-0389-2
    "The majority of supplementation studies indicate no variation of general mortality and of cancer incidence or a detrimental effect on both. Antioxidant supplements so far tested seem to offer no improvement over a well-balanced diet"

Bjelakovic G, Nikolova D, Gluud LL, Simonetti RG, Gluud C. Antioxidant supplements for prevention of mortality in healthy participants and patients with various diseases. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD007176. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007176.pub2.

Info from the NIH: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MVMS-Consumer/
    "Based on current research, it’s not possible to recommend for or against the use of MVMs to stay healthier longer."

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just use Whey protein powder and fish oil.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    multivitamins every so often (though much research has shown these are probably unnecessary).

Please provide some evidence for this.

My statement was for generally healthy people who eat balanced diets, not pregnant women, vegans, those with certain chronic diseases, etc.

Dolara, P., Bigagli, E. & Collins, Antioxidant vitamins and mineral supplementation, life span expansion and cancer incidence: a critical commentary. A. Eur J Nutr (2012) 51: 769. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-012-0389-2
    "The majority of supplementation studies indicate no variation of general mortality and of cancer incidence or a detrimental effect on both. Antioxidant supplements so far tested seem to offer no improvement over a well-balanced diet"

Bjelakovic G, Nikolova D, Gluud LL, Simonetti RG, Gluud C. Antioxidant supplements for prevention of mortality in healthy participants and patients with various diseases. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD007176. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007176.pub2.

Info from the NIH: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MVMS-Consumer/
    "Based on current research, it’s not possible to recommend for or against the use of MVMs to stay healthier longer."

That may well be true; however, the reality is that finding a definition for a healthy balanced diet or for that matter, finding a person who eats a balanced diet in the wild is relatively difficult.
  • amy93w
    amy93w Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take Glucosamine sulphate for my joints (I get really clicky joints) vitamin C for my immune system and B complex for energy. That's it but I want to start using protein powder and omega 3 fish oil
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Last week, I ran out of DHA/EPA(Fish oil) for about 3 days. By the 3rd day, I noticed that my knee was noticeably more "crunchy/creaky" Additionally, I use Glucosamine+Boswellia for general joint health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    The majority of supplements on the market aren't needed in the diet. Many people take them thinking they are getting a great benefit, but only a few have had good peer reviewed evidence to back them: whey protein and creatine most notably. The rest IMO, is placebo or anecdotal evidence. Very prevalent in gym culture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Fitness_with_John_
    Fitness_with_John_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take Pre-Cre (A creatine before the workout) to help with muscle growth and afterwards drink a protein shake to mix in that extra protein. Of course, I'm going through a bulking phase at the moment, so before taking any of that you should make sure you really need it first.

I'd suggest get into the rhythm of lifting then once you're comfortable and want to start going heavy go ahead and grab yourself some protein (and creatine but that's optional). If you got the extra money in your pocket, I'd also suggest post workout drinks with amino acids for muscle recovery.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The majority of supplements on the market aren't needed in the diet. Many people take them thinking they are getting a great benefit, but only a few have had good peer reviewed evidence to back them: whey protein and creatine most notably. The rest IMO, is placebo or anecdotal evidence. Very prevalent in gym culture.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Supplements aren't needed, but can be usefull if your missing certain key stuff. For example, if you have no tolerance with dairy and there's not many food that you like that has calcium, then getting a calcium supplement is better than not having it at all. If you can't hit your protein goal, because you are always full after a meal, than a protein shake or 2 is still better than not reaching your protein goal. The whole point of supplements is that it supplements your diet, it doesn't enhance it. It's only there to give you that little push that you wouldn't get otherwise because of personal reasons.
    Agree. But I can guarantee that most people use supplements not to MEET RDA or macro goals, but to enhance weight loss or believe that they are enhancing their health doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It seems like creatine is one everyone agrees is useful. Any suggestions on what kind (brand) to get? Anything I should look out for? I've been avoiding it because I heard it makes you retain water and feel bloated.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It seems like creatine is one everyone agrees is useful. Any suggestions on what kind (brand) to get? Anything I should look out for? I've been avoiding it because I heard it makes you retain water and feel bloated.

For brands, I'd check out labdoor.com or consumerlabs.com to look quality testing. But creatine can make you retain some water since it draws water into the muscles. It is the one of the most proven supplements, but it doesn't help everyone. You can always try it to see if it helps.
  • belgitude66
    belgitude66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    whey proteines (stawberry taste) who content some BCAA days of workout, also intermitent fasting
    but be aware that noting is better that a good training routine. suplements will only help for a few % if your workouts are well done .
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Last week, I ran out of DHA/EPA(Fish oil) for about 3 days. By the 3rd day, I noticed that my knee was noticeably more "crunchy/creaky" Additionally, I use Glucosamine+Boswellia for general joint health.

I get the same thing. I up my intake on squat and deadlift days