My 600Lb Self

Options
66ray66
66ray66 Posts: 822 Member
hello,
my name is raymond and have become morbidly obese in what i call a blink of an eye in my life. I was very athletic most of my life, and very socially active, until about the time i was 30 yrs old. I AM 50 now, and sadly nearly doubled my weight in under 20 years. I hope you're sitting for this...I bought a scale 2 months ago that maxed out at 500 Lbs. and when i received it, i was so excited to finally weigh myself, so that i can begin my journey to start living again. I was tired of missing my 2 sons school events and ceremonies, the worst was that I couldn't attend my youngest sons college graduation, specially because he was the first in my family to do so.
So, back to opening of the scale...I turned it on, set it down, and stood on it...Tahh Dahh! The scale displayed ERROR, which meant, its over the MAX. Talk about a dagger to the gut! I was so angry, that i repacked it and had it sent back, telling the company that it was broken, and didn't work right. Hows that for being in denial...after a few days, i finally came too, and admitted to myself the very very sad reality of what has become of me. So on a friday, this June i went to visit my Dr(which is really compassionate and helpful). and my journey began that following monday. i started swimming 30-35 minutes 6 days per week, and started watching my food quality, and quantities...On or about July 10, i found this website to help me start logging all my activities, and i also bought a device that helps to keep track of my exercise and calories burned, and let me tell you, this logging in stuff really has helped me, for when i feel I'm getting a little weak in my eating habits, i just look at all the sacrifice and progress I've made. Another thing that helps with eating, or feeling hungry, is that knowing you can over do it, if it's fresh and green. You'd be surprised how many things and ways you can STUFF yourself with and it's very healthy for you. Fruits, Veggies, etc...my favorite, making guacamole and using about 4 to 5 Tbs in a GIANT Green Salad(about 12-16 oz of greens).
NO Cheese, Bacon Bits or Dressings...you get the picture. Heck, add 1/2 c of raisins, walnuts, about 6 oz of shredded chicken and i will bet you, you may not be able to finish it...and you will be stuffed...for hours...as a matter of fact, your next meal will come in about 4 hours and you will not be hungry. Oh, and don't forget your daily minimum of 64 oz of water. So in closing, you might be curious on my status, well, you and me both..you see, i decided not to weigh myself for the first time until August 13 of this year...but i can tell you this, I feel much lighter, my clothes drape on me, and i am not out of breath as easy, and i finally reached my goal of swimming 1/2 mile...of course I'm not doing that for my regimine, It's more like 650 meters per workout in 30-35 minutes is enough, which burns close to 1000 calories depending on my intensity.
So, you are NOT alone, and like we always hear, someone can always be worse off, well you can make me that person.

Replies

• emivanae
    emivanae Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Woot woot! You've got this!
  • goldiejdb
    goldiejdb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Inspiring. Keep up the fantastic work.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Great job on that huge loss, keep up the good habits that are helping you! You can do it!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congrats! Good luck!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Great progress keep it up!
  • kfizza1
    kfizza1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!!!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story!!! You are inspiring!
  • charris151
    charris151 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go Raymond! What an inspirational story! I can't wait to hear more from you :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    You Rock! Keep up the good work... it's hard work yes but you got this! And we got you... You've already won half the battle and you are already inspirational but you're an amazing inspirational story waiting to happen :smile:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    Your story gave me goose bumps and made me smile reading it. Denial works only for so long then the cold hard reality hits. It won't be easy but nothing ever is. Regaining your mobility and health will all be worth it. Best of luck.

Me, too.
  • scoobytaylor1
    scoobytaylor1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Way to go, keep up the great work. Hope to hear more about your journey in the future.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Such a great start! Really great work!
  • Happy_Ells
    Happy_Ells Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WOW! It's my first day back to MFP and reading your post is exactly what I needed. Thank you for sharing! True inspiration you are!!! Can I please add you as my friend?

Excellent weightloss! well done! x
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great job! You can do this!!!