Do you tell everyone when you are on a diet?

Options
Had a hard day today which involved a work lunch as I haven't really told anyone I'm on a diet. I didn't want to tell them so just ate a normal lunch and going to try and have a really good dinner.

I'm a big guy (300lbs) so they all probably think I should be on a diet anyway but for some reason I can't tell them.

So back to my question, do you tell everyone or just try and do the best you can in social situations?

Replies

• boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Never. Because:
    A. You don't want a bunch of advice from random people about what you should/should not be doing.
    B. No one cares.

Yep this^^^
    Once I started losing I got asked what I was doing. Much easier to not have to explain yourself to everyone.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I tell people like my family, people I eat with often, and my friends with health and fitness interests. I don't really care to talk about it with anyone else. I actually don't care to talk about it with most of the people I listed either, but they would figure it out and talk about it with my anyway.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Not usually. It's more fun to watch people try to figure out why I look different after a couple of months.

At work functions where I'm limited in my food choices, I'll just make the best choice I can and then guesstimate a reasonable portion to leave behind. If you don't want to call attention to yourself with a 'diet' order, then you can just order normally and leave behind leftovers. If anybody asks (though nobody will) just tell them that you aren't that hungry.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone, but my co-workers notice. I cut hard, so my energy levels tend to fall off, and I shrink like an old woman when fully glycogen depleted.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Well, firstly, it became obvious once i lost my first 10 kg or so.
    Secondly, at work it is also clear, since i prepare my meals and take them with me instead of going out to eat. I'm not only one who does that there, but still people come around and are nosy :smile:

But for James:
    I also started out at around 300 lbs. After a while i developed extra thick skin regarding all kinds of comments, opinions and "educated guesses" Of course, it has been some time, but by now i don't give a flying f*** about what people at work think of how and what i eat or how i manage my health and happiness :smiley:
    It takes time, and can be daunting, but it's quite a good feeling at the end.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I only bring it up if someone asks. Otherwise my eating habits are my business and I don't need unsolicited feedback about why my eating pattern supposedly doesn't work, because it does! I do share about my weight loss with friends and family on social media because the support helps.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I talk about it with my BF and family, but never to others. Because I don't need people's comments, complaints, judgements. I also don't need someone asking me "Oh, I need to lose weight, you wanna be my exercise/diet buddy? I need support". I feel everyone should have enough "gumtion" to do this themselves. If you are looking for a buddy, you aren't really ready and are grasping at excuses.

And really no one cares.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Not really- some people have figured it out along the way as it is more noticeable, but I don't generally go out of my way to volunteer information. Any conversation that does happen is kept somewhat short- I am not interested in talking to someone about their restrictive dieting, I prefer to let my results speak for themselves.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't tell them and I don't change how I eat just to pretend I'm not.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Immediate family and close friends - yes. Everyone else... no.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends know since it came up in a conversation when we were hiking and my lunch friends know because people bring desserts and I do not take a piece lol. Once I explain, I don't have anyone telling me what to do or not do but then again, they are not crazy dieters at all. They are mostly all not obese or not super thin and most of them bike to work.
    I wouldn't randomly tell everyone if it doesn't come up but I think your coworkers would support you if in the end it's difficult to stay on your diet due to the meals you have with them.