How do I get more protein without the fat ?

Options
Any thoughts :
This is what I should be doing
2119 calories
45% protein - 241 grams
35% carbs- 183 grams
20% fat- 47 grams
How do I get that much protein in a day with out going over my fat intake
That's what I always struggle with
Even when I was at 1700 calories ( 182 g.)
I was having problems reaching it

Replies

• virleach
    virleach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am in process of toning,so I am weight lifting
    I only have 15 lbs left to lose, so I had to change my routine cause I hit a plateau.
    Since I have been plateau for a year,its been suggested I up my calories and switch to macro counting
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of protein but try adding more non-meat protein sources. Beans, lentils, peas, nonfat greek yogurt-none of which have much, if any fat but lots of protein. Beyond meat is a meat substitute made from pea protein that tastes good and is loaded with protein.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Crazy high protein, unless you weigh 240*. But, to answer your question, non-fat greek yogurt...

*1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (which is still high. I shoot for 0.8 g per pound)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    virleach wrote: »
    I am in process of toning,so I am weight lifting
    I only have 15 lbs left to lose, so I had to change my routine cause I hit a plateau.
    Since I have been plateau for a year,its been suggested I up my calories and switch to macro counting

If you haven't lost in a year, upping your calories isn't the thing to do. Instead I would look at your logging to see what can be tightened up (food scale to weigh everything, accurate entries, recipe builder). And that amount of protein is very high and your fat is low. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your fat intake, I would change the percentages.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Still, even counting macros, 45% is very high for protein. The general rule is 1gm per 1lb if lean body weight. So at 150lbs, I generally aim for 100+ which is about 25%. And that's with weight training. 45% is excessive.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's a way high level of protein. You don't need that much.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    white fish like cod or haddock, and non fatty fish, Lots of protein but low on fat.
  • virleach
    Options
    Any suggestions how I find out how much macros I really need ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    More than about 1 gram per Lb of LBM and you're just making expensive glucose.

As for low fat sources...cod, shrimp, chicken breast...
  • virleach
    Options
    Yes fat is good for you but fat is fat and too much is not good
  • quiksylver296
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Crazy high protein, unless you weigh 240*. But, to answer your question, non-fat greek yogurt...

*1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (which is still high. I shoot for 0.8 g per pound)

Then approximately 0.4 g of fat per pound.

Fill the rest in with carbs.
  • virleach
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Is that just for protein.what about carbs and fat
    And once I get my macro percentage how do I know my calorie range should be.
    At this moment I am doing
    1700 calories
    182 g protein
    And I tap out around 1500 calories when my macros is reached and its my fat intake that keeps me from hitting my protein mark
  • virleach
    Options

Do you calculate lb weight by what you weigh present or ideal weight
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Ideal weight, if you're trying to lose, would be fine.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    20% is awfully low for fat, you don't need to be afraid to eat more fat. Your body and brain need fats. Lower your current calories since you are not losing weight, raise your fat percentage, and go for it.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know the struggle I need more protein and less fat! I buy Protein2o. It is a fruit flavored drink that is only 15 grams of Protein and 1 carb per bottle. The grape and coconut are my favorite. Also, some proteins are low fat, like shrimp, cod, chicken breast etc. I just prefer some of my protein with these drinks because it is high and I cant eat that much! They sell them at a lot of gas stations and on amazon too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Is that just for protein.what about carbs and fat
    And once I get my macro percentage how do I know my calorie range should be.
    At this moment I am doing
    1700 calories
    182 g protein
    And I tap out around 1500 calories when my macros is reached and its my fat intake that keeps me from hitting my protein mark

Yes, that's for protein. I'm a 182 Lb male @ around 15% BF...I would max out on protein at around 154 grams but I don't get that high normally...I'm usually more around 120-140 depending and my muscles are just fine.

Dietary fat recommendations I've seen are typically 0.35 - 0.45 grams per Lb of BW...

Honestly, I've never done this much hand wringing over macros and I'm pretty fit and whatnot...I think you're getting all wrapped up in something that is important to be aware of, but not necessary to obsess about...and your macros really don't have much of anything to do with weight stalls and whatnot...
  • virleach
    Options

Ideal weight, if you're trying to lose, would be fine.

I went to figure it out and I am not sure if that will work
    It would be 32/32/36%
    My carb range would be same as my protein range
    I will try to play with this and see what happens
    Little worried since I have been told to keep fat low and protein high
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is nothing wrong or unhealthy about fats, especially if they are UFA. In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't put much focus on fats or carbs.. I would aim for calories and then get up to .7 to 1g of protein per lb of weight. Personally, I am 175 and aim for 140 to 180g of protein (mainly for satiety), 30g or more of fiber and ensure i get adequate calories to lose weight.