Suicide rates at a 40 year high among teenagers and young adults

Options

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Hopelessness in that age group seems to be the issue.

How could they feel hopeless if they've hit the life lotto and we're born in a first world country? I'm not talking about abused children having trouble coping with their abuse.

How many young children do you have?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    More dysfunctional families? Higher academic standards and more stress?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Help available for mental health issues at least in the U.S. is not a priority. There are people who seek help and cannot get it and feel like this is their only way out. It's an atrocity and breaks my heart.

A friend of mine took his own life this past Sunday by hanging himself in a hotel room. He had many who loved him and tried to help. He sought help. But the system is broken.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Also, at least in my experience, suicides come in waves and some get the idea when a loved one, friend or peer does it or if someone famous does it.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Help available for mental health issues at least in the U.S. is not a priority. There are people who seek help and cannot get it and feel like this is their only way out. It's an atrocity and breaks my heart.

A friend of mine took his own life this past Sunday by hanging himself in a hotel room. He had many who loved him and tried to help. He sought help. But the system is broken.

It is. In my area it's a 383 day wait list to see a psychiatrist/hospital psychologist (you can go private but it's $$$$). Plus if you go to the ER they don't give you much help if any at all. They night section you for 48-72 hours but you then go on the 383 day waiting list. It's totally unacceptable
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nobody can pinpoint it for sure but my suspicion is that it's a multitude of factors:

1. The tendency for teenagers' amygdalas to override their not-yet-fully-developed prefrontal cortexes
    2. The increase in information fluidity (social media is a part of this) gives rise to a constant state of comparisons and thus unrealistic expectations in life
    3. Increase in quantity of social interaction (via social media) but decrease in quality, leading to weak and unstable social structures
    4. Media sensationalization leading to the normalization of extreme behaviors such as bullying and suicide erodes traditional social norms that portray such acts as taboo
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

How could they feel hopeless if they've hit the life lotto and we're born in a first world country? I'm not talking about abused children having trouble coping with their abuse.

Read my subsequent responses.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry.. hugs.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »
    Nobody can pinpoint it for sure but my suspicion is that it's a multitude of factors:

1. The tendency for teenagers' amygdalas to override their not-yet-fully-developed prefrontal cortexes
    2. The increase in information fluidity (social media is a part of this) gives rise to a constant state of comparisons and thus unrealistic expectations in life
    3. Increase in quantity of social interaction (via social media) but decrease in quality, leading to weak and unstable social structures
    4. Media sensationalization leading to the normalization of extreme behaviors such as bullying and suicide erodes traditional social norms that portray such acts as taboo

Where does the role of the parents come into play? Other than your first point, everything else seems to be an issue of them spiraling down because they continuously feel like a victim. I agree at their point of suicide they've developed a deep mental illness but there seems to be plenty of time for intervention before that.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a friend to suicide almost 2 years ago. It's heart breaking for the children, families and friends.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Also has addiction rates risen? There is a connection between drug abuse and suicide as well

My baby brother shot himself May 21,2017 he was 29,,I think it was drugs he was trying to beat but just couldn't
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »

Where does the role of the parents come into play? Other than your first point, everything else seems to be an issue of them spiraling down because they continuously feel like a victim. I agree at their point of suicide they've developed a deep mental illness but there seems to be plenty of time for intervention before that.

Uhm they're all distinct points? Read Layard for 2 and Durkheim for 3

Family is covered under 3 re social structures changing
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Read my subsequent responses.

None of them answer the question I asked.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Maybe more human kindness and less social/political division
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This doesn't surprise me but then again, I've been suicidal at multiple points in my life since middle school and have 3 attempts under my belt.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This will be an unpopular position but I happen to feel it's the truth - the more we alllow the younger generation (and anyone for that matter) to believe:

- there's no consequences for their actions (it's always someone else's fault);
    - that the "feelings" of the individual are more important & carry more weight than what's important for they rest of society;
    - that it's everyone else's responsibility to take care of you, and not you're responsibility to care care of yourself

They are doomed, unfortunately. If there's an increase in suicideits because there's an increase in the number of people who've never learned how to cope with adversity and hardship.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    This doesn't surprise me but then again, I've been suicidal at multiple points in my life since middle school and have 3 attempts under my belt.

Me too
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Suicide is sad at any age. I (late 20's) am on antidepressants because I became suicidal, so am not surprised about the rising rates of suicide among youth.

I think the issue in the U.S. is that a lot of young people feel isolated from others/opportunities and with social media, compare their lifestyles with others around the world from a young age (when they have little say in their living situations). This is a cultural issue in my opinion (poor public transit, many small towns without places for kids to do much ie. even malls are closing left and right, huge divide between rich and poor and a non-homogenous culture, not especially safe in comparison to most developed countries etc.). Pair this with the internet, where kids see both wealthy Americans and cultures that seem (and are) more exciting and safe (i.e. Europe, Asia).

Even though the U.S. is a lot more open to acknowledging mental illness and treating depression with medications, many people dismiss depression (which can lead to suicide) as "teenage angst" in a lot of young people.

I lived in Japan (suicide capital of the world) and would say the reason for Americans ending their own lives seems to stem from different reasons than Japanese. Japan is the near opposite of the U.S.: very safe, extremely homogenous, lots of malls still around, very little class/wage gap, excellent public transportation, nearly non-existent recreational drug use.

I think that until we reform our infrastructure and tackle the economic and cultural divides among American youth, the suicide rate will continue to rise as they grow up seeing other (better) ways of life on social media. Until then, kids will turn to escapism, and sometimes (sadly) suicide. :(

I love Americans (I am one too lol), but the lack of modernization in this country is the reason I'm leaving. It's too depressing even for me, and I'm a college graduate from a wealthier/more progressive part of the country; I can't imagine how it must feel for teenagers and children who have never known a world without social media/global comparisons.

I've lived in Japan, Chile, and China. (Central and Southern) Chile is about on-par with the U.S., Japan stagnant but at least safe with excellent public transit/lots to do for all ages. The average Japanese city/town blows the average American city/town out of the water in pretty much every regard. Major Chinese cities are about 20 years ahead of us. If the U.S. continues the way it's going, I can only imagine suicide rates continuing to rise.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    In my mid - late teens I was suicidal, it has a lot to do with the stresses of fitting in, being bullied etc plus the whole hormonal imbalance in most teens, I remember having a group of friends that were very clicky and back stabby, one minute they were nice the other minute just nasty but yeah speaking from my own experiences excluding stuff happening at home it was a miserable time for me, I was stressing about trying to fit in with people who were just so mean, not to mention depression runs deep in my dad's side of the family, my dad's mum suffers really bad from depression and has done since her teens.
    Its a hard time for teenagers, hormones, trying to fit in, bullying in many forms, being excluded, then there is school/college having to study to get good grades, a lot of teens struggle to cope with it all.
    People need to be more aware of this and find methods to relieve some of the stresses these young minds struggle to deal with, possibly offering meditation classes or laughter therapy just anything to help.

Also adding to this media can also be to blame, giving people the impression that photoshopped models are the ideal way to look, making most people loathe the way they look, plus not to mention we live in a negative world, we feed off negativity not intentionally but people are more sensitive to it, it's all too stressful, the news is often depressing, and there is not much escape from it all.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    EZDUZIT68 wrote: »
    This will be an unpopular position but I happen to feel it's the truth - the more we alllow the younger generation (and anyone for that matter) to believe:

- there's no consequences for their actions (it's always someone else's fault);
    - that the "feelings" of the individual are more important & carry more weight than what's important for they rest of society;
    - that it's everyone else's responsibility to take care of you, and not you're responsibility to care care of yourself

They are doomed, unfortunately. If there's an increase in suicideits because there's an increase in the number of people who've never learned how to cope with adversity and hardship.

I agree with your list, everyone needs to learn this.

Though it's often people who have had constant adversity and hardship, that nobody is equipped to deal with, that feel like this is the only option.