Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When Does 'Harmless' Cross a Line?

Options
snickerscharlie
snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
I've always been a bit fascinated at how unproven diets, supplements and 'cures' make their way into the mainstream consciousness and become fact in people's minds, if for no other reason than it's trendy and a lot of people are doing it. And it seems that many do really, really care about being all 'current' and latch onto whatever the latest derp-du-jour is. My Facebook page is rife with it, and each idea or product - to me at least - seems stupider than the last.

I've wondered if an initial 'success' with something unproven but wildly popular would lead the inventor to ride their wave of possibly dubious popularity to greater heights (or depths, depending on your perspective) by suggesting even more improbable and perhaps potentially dangerous 'cures.'

Case in point:

Dave Asprey, whose claim to fame is being the Bulletproof Coffee Guy, is now promoting something entirely new, and, honestly, I can't imagine anyone being either stupid enough, desperate enough or enamoured enough of him to actually go ahead and do this based on his recommendation. But sadly, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people actually will.

Bulletproof Coffee, although certainly not something I would ever do (I actually prefer to eat my calories than drink them) is, in and of itself, relatively harmless. Yes, the claims of its 'benefits' are rather inflated, but that just heightens the hype and the popularity. To each their own, I say.

However, Asprey's latest recommendation, imo, crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed. He is now advocating for an idea that people should consider injecting their own urine as a potential cure for allergies. Although not the inventor of this 'therapy' he certainly seems to have embraced it.

I'll just drop the link here and let the good people of MFP decide for themselves:

https://blog.bulletproof.com/can-urine-injection-therapy-relieve-your-allergies/

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    'Harmless' definitely crosses a line where one "application" of something can lead to severe harm. Compared to 'fad diets' where you could more or less say that people should be able to recognize they are getting unhappy and unhealthy gradually but all can be repaired by eating better again, something like injecting your own urine can go devastatingly wrong the first time you do it (sepsis?) and in the worst case there is no going back.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I mean you can drink your own pee but I don't see how that would do what he is calming the stuff you pee out is stuff you don't need. Sammy Sosa would pee on his hands to toughen them up, people used to tan leather with pee they would collect it house to house.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Throughout history people have tried a lot of dumb things to try to cure themselves or look better. Some people believe their cures while others are just out to make money from vulnerable people. There is an interesting medical history podcast called Sawbones that covers a lot of this kind of stuff. Really fun to listen to. There is an episode on urine. http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sawbones-urine

I doubt many people are going to inject themselves with urine to cure allergies. It is probably too gross compared to just taking allergy meds for most people. Telling people to inject things into their body is definitely crossing a line into harmful though.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Looked up this Dr. Rashid Buttar person - the apparent brains behind this therapy. Looks like there's lawsuits and plenty of claims of quackery in relation to his other 'treatments' of everything from cancer to autism.

And this from his own site:

"We offer 59 different IV Therapies oriented towards the principles of detoxification and immune modulation including heavy metal chelation, oxidative therapies, nutritional IVs, and many other treatments that detoxify and enhance the immune system. Our treatments are so effective that even the North Carolina Medical Board is trying to suppress the truth."

I would normally post the link when I quote stuff, but anyone interested can google it for themselves. The website is, um, curious.

Well, shucks, if the MEDICAL BOARD doesn't think it's a good practice, I should definitely go do that - immediately *sarcasm*
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    There is an interesting medical history podcast called Sawbones that covers a lot of this kind of stuff. Really fun to listen to. There is an episode on urine. http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sawbones-urine

I keep hearing about Sawbones; I need to check it out! I'm finding that many of my regular podcasts are falling short of the time I'm spending on the treadmill as I increase mileage, lol. I need to find some good 50-ish minute ones.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I mean you can drink your own pee but I don't see how that would do what he is calming the stuff you pee out is stuff you don't need. Sammy Sosa would pee on his hands to toughen them up, people used to tan leather with pee they would collect it house to house.

Not to mention helping to soften wool and sets the dyes.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about this, but isn't it illegal (at least in the US) to possess syringes and needles without a prescription? Isn't he advocating for people to do something that's against the law? It seems to me that would take it out of the "harmless" category right there and into criminal behavior. If he was just promoting a "clinic" where one could get the injection or a prescription I would still call BS and definitely crossing a line (I would have to see some heavy-duty peer-reviewed, conclusive research to even consider changing that opinion), but his "how to" takes it into prosecution territory in my opinion.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you get syringes without a prescription. I take a medication that needs IM injections, and believe me, it was a struggle, thanks to insurance woes, getting my prescription for just the right needles filled.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this, but isn't it illegal (at least in the US) to possess syringes and needles without a prescription? Isn't he advocating for people to do something that's against the law? It seems to me that would take it out of the "harmless" category right there and into criminal behavior. If he was just promoting a "clinic" where one could get the injection or a prescription I would still call BS and definitely crossing a line (I would have to see some heavy-duty peer-reviewed, conclusive research to even consider changing that opinion), but his "how to" takes it into prosecution territory in my opinion.

I am not sure what the exact regulations are, but it is not illegal to possess SOME. My travel first-aid kit comes with several syringes so I can use one I know is new and clean if ever I need medical attention in a 3rd world country. There might be regulations as to what kind and/or quantity can be obtained but there is not a general "prescription only" regulation.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I am not sure what the exact regulations are, but it is not illegal to possess SOME. My travel first-aid kit comes with several syringes so I can use one I know is new and clean if ever I need medical attention in a 3rd world country. There might be regulations as to what kind and/or quantity can be obtained but there is not a general "prescription only" regulation.

But how do you get the specific ones he called for, including the filter syringes?

Since the meds I take come in glass ampules, I supposedly should use filter syringes and once did have a pharmacy give them to me. I don't see how they'd be routinely available in a generalized First Aid kit. (FTR, I don't bother with the filter syringes, they're too fussy. The ampules break off very cleanly.)
  • earlnabby
    Options

But how do you get the specific ones he called for, including the filter syringes?

Since the meds I take come in glass ampules, I supposedly should use filter syringes and once did have a pharmacy give them to me. I don't see how they'd be routinely available in a generalized First Aid kit. (FTR, I don't bother with the filter syringes, they're too fussy. The ampules break off very cleanly.)

Have no idea. I should ask my brother the RN if he knows more. I will have to stress that it is for information only and that I am NOT contemplating doing any injections myself.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

You're right, I just did some googling and small quantities are allowed without script. Further googling brought up the fact that some medications don't fully metabolize in the system before a portion is excreted in the urine and could cause complications or drug interaction issues if the drugs injected with the urine ups the dosage or messes up the timing of meds.

eta: This isn't mentioned in the articLe and I don't think that's something the average person who is doing this on their own is going to be aware of. Extremely irresponsible and line-crossing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I know where to get them, but not telling.

As for the OP, this is just disturbing. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the comments at the bottom of the piece.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I wonder how long until injecting urine for allergies turns into "inject urine to lose 20 pounds in one month"! Yay, new OP material :D:D