Why am I not losing weight

Options

Replies

• Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What does woo mean? Or for that matter "kitten" i keep seeing it on the discussions.

Woo=a weight loss idea that has been disproven or won't do anything
    *kitten*=MFP's profanity filter

Thank you! Clears things up greatly!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    Please report back.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's already been said, but I'll say it (again). Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym. Sure, exercise burns calories, but it's relatively tiny in comparison to your daily intake. Especially if you're not paying attention to what your intake is, because when you exercise you do work up an appetite and tend to eat more.

That being said... weight is just a number on a scale. If going to the gym improves your physique while leaving that number the same, you're doing something positive for your body!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    OP, I don't understand your replies. You posted and wanted to know why you're not losing weight, people have told you. If you're not willing to make any changes and you feel your logging is perfect then don't change anything. You are an adult. But without any changes, your weight is probably not magically going to fall off. People are trying to help, if you're not willing to accept it and critically look at your habits then there is no point in posting.

I taking every body's advice very seriously and yes I am an adult that's why I asked the question and I know my weights not going to magically fall off that's why I go to the gym twice a day but you probably didn't read that part either and the part that I was saying yeah I'm going to try all this advice to see if it helps and it might help if you would read through all the posts to see what I put two instead of just jumping to conclusions thinking that I'm not listening to what people are telling me

Not jumping to conclusions at all. I read your post about the gym, but as others have pointed out logging accuracy is the issue. And your post about taking everyone's advice was after mine so no I did not read that. I do hope that you will though and good luck.
  • magician27
    magician27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mrspett323 wrote: »
    You calorie intake is way below what it needs to be. Up your intake and you will see a difference. I thought eat less and exercise more was key until my Trainer educated me. I gave it a try and it worked. Find a TDEE calculator and put your numbers in. Good luck!

no where in the world eating more calories causes weight loss. shes just eating more calories than she thinks she does. any human being who is put on 1200 calories( every single day without an exception ) will lose weight rapidly until shes sub 130 lbs
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    magician27 wrote: »
    mrspett323 wrote: »
    You calorie intake is way below what it needs to be. Up your intake and you will see a difference. I thought eat less and exercise more was key until my Trainer educated me. I gave it a try and it worked. Find a TDEE calculator and put your numbers in. Good luck!

no where in the world eating more calories causes weight loss. shes just eating more calories than she thinks she does. any human being who is put on 1200 calories( every single day without an exception ) will lose weight rapidly until shes sub 130 lbs

Even at my lowest weight of 86lbs at 5'2" (I had issues, I'm healthy now)... I'd lose on 1200 calories. 'Nuff said, yep.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    This flowchart has good troubleshooting advice:

gg8b2aq9fma9.jpg

One thing this flow chart does not cover, though it doesn't have any bearing on the OP, is that if someone doesn't recalculate their TDEE as their weight drops, they will end up getting to a point where their calories and up being at maintenance and they will hit a plateau until they recalculate their caloric intake target and it puts them in a a deficit again.
  • bertoroe
    bertoroe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue myself. A few years ago, I lost 60 pounds on treadmill alone, but I don't even remember how I ate. Probably was not healthy though. But right now I'm having trouble losing anything. I started counting my macros and cooking better meals. Good thing is, I don't have to log often, because I make my eating very routine, so I pretty much eat the same thing every day. I just got back to the gym, seriously hoping this works.. I'm not overweight, but I'm definitely not where I want to be. Just 30 more...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't understand your replies. You posted and wanted to know why you're not losing weight, people have told you. If you're not willing to make any changes and you feel your logging is perfect then don't change anything. You are an adult. But without any changes, your weight is probably not magically going to fall off. People are trying to help, if you're not willing to accept it and critically look at your habits then there is no point in posting.

I taking every body's advice very seriously and yes I am an adult that's why I asked the question and I know my weights not going to magically fall off that's why I go to the gym twice a day but you probably didn't read that part either and the part that I was saying yeah I'm going to try all this advice to see if it helps and it might help if you would read through all the posts to see what I put two instead of just jumping to conclusions thinking that I'm not listening to what people are telling me

weigh every solid and semi solid on a scale in grams(its more accurate), two pieces of fruit the same size can vary in weight,calories,etc. even packaged food can be off by up to 20% so even weight packaged food. weigh your nuts in grams on a scale. a 1/4 of a cup of nuts can weigh as much as half a cup or more. trust me I learned this the hard way by not weighing everything(I gained half my weight loss back due to not weighing everything and using cups and spoons). even with peanut butter put the jar on the scale,tare it to zero and take out what you want. that number is what you are going to consume. Thing like peanut butter can be tricky when using spoons.

I would start weighing everything in grams (solids and semi solids),make sure you are getting enough water,rest and so on. you could be retaining water due to sodium,working out,waste,etc are you weighing yourself first thing in the am after you use the bathroom? if not do that. and yes you can also measure often to see if you are losing inches. sometimes you will lose inches before you notice the numbers on the scale go down. try that for a month and see where it gets you. you may be surprised at how much food can be off when you dont weight it vs weighing it. It opened my eye. oh and pick correct entries in mfp some of those are off so try and cross reference it with either the package or if its fresh fruits and veggies you can look up usda info so if its grapes you will put in usda grapes red raw seedless and you can also do a google search and it should take you to the usda site for that food.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

weigh every solid and semi solid on a scale in grams(its more accurate), two pieces of fruit the same size can vary in weight,calories,etc. even packaged food can be off by up to 20% so even weight packaged food. weigh your nuts in grams on a scale. a 1/4 of a cup of nuts can weigh as much as half a cup or more. trust me I learned this the hard way by not weighing everything(I gained half my weight loss back due to not weighing everything and using cups and spoons). even with peanut butter put the jar on the scale,tare it to zero and take out what you want. that number is what you are going to consume. Thing like peanut butter can be tricky when using spoons.

I would start weighing everything in grams (solids and semi solids),make sure you are getting enough water,rest and so on. you could be retaining water due to sodium,working out,waste,etc are you weighing yourself first thing in the am after you use the bathroom? if not do that. and yes you can also measure often to see if you are losing inches. sometimes you will lose inches before you notice the numbers on the scale go down. try that for a month and see where it gets you. you may be surprised at how much food can be off when you dont weight it vs weighing it. It opened my eye. oh and pick correct entries in mfp some of those are off so try and cross reference it with either the package or if its fresh fruits and veggies you can look up usda info so if its grapes you will put in usda grapes red raw seedless and you can also do a google search and it should take you to the usda site for that food.

What I do with peanut butter is put the plate I want to put the peanut butter on, plus whatever it goes on (bread) plus whatever implement I use to get it out, on the scale. Then hit tare, then get the peanut butter.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    PittyPine wrote: »

Is something off? I really don't think people need more than 1200 calories a day to remain healthy. For example, I am over 55 and my dr. indicated that I can only eat 1400 just to maintain my extra 20 pounds. There is no such thing as you are not eating enough food at 1200 calories a day? Clearly, with the proper food choices, you can be very healthy at this calorie count. However, long term I think 1200 calories a day is hard to maintain unless you have weight loss surgery.

Now, for your exercise? Your time matters and I have found that many of the gym exercises such as walking on a treadmill are a waste of time unless you are really overweight, ill or over 50. If you really want to kick start this thing. .. sign up for a functional fitness class, get a trainer, and or try something like Orange Theory and go to class 3 times and week and then supplement with the gym 2 additional days. Make this change and then increase your calories to 1400 to 1700 and I am sure you will see change.

It's tricky to fit in all the recommended nutritional values eating less than 1200. It's possible for very small, completely sedentary people, or people with other health issues, to maintain at this weight, but they would still be in danger of malnutrition unless they were careful to eat only the most nutrient dense foods. That's why MFP doesn't recommend it unless you are under a doctor's supervision.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    PittyPine wrote: »

Is something off? I really don't think people need more than 1200 calories a day to remain healthy. For example, I am over 55 and my dr. indicated that I can only eat 1400 just to maintain my extra 20 pounds. There is no such thing as you are not eating enough food at 1200 calories a day? Clearly, with the proper food choices, you can be very healthy at this calorie count. However, long term I think 1200 calories a day is hard to maintain unless you have weight loss surgery.

Now, for your exercise? Your time matters and I have found that many of the gym exercises such as walking on a treadmill are a waste of time unless you are really overweight, ill or over 50. If you really want to kick start this thing. .. sign up for a functional fitness class, get a trainer, and or try something like Orange Theory and go to class 3 times and week and then supplement with the gym 2 additional days. Make this change and then increase your calories to 1400 to 1700 and I am sure you will see change.

I have an active job and over 100 pounds to lose. 1200 calories would never be enough for me.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes around my belly but I have also have had 3 c-section and don't know if that has a lot to do with it either

Dear OP,

Is there a reason you have not answered the question asked several times, are you weighing your food (in grams or oz, not using cups/measuring spoons/packet weights/serving sizes)? A lot of people are looking for a yes or no on this, because the answer to this question really changes the advice people will give you.

Before I started weighing food in grams I thought I was accurately measuring. But it can be very surprising when you actually weigh it out, especially for calorie dense foods like rice, pasta, cheese, peanut butter... A lot of packets also do not contain the weight stated on the packaging, so you can't rely on that being accurate. If you don't already do this, it could be really helpful for you.

So are you using a food weighing scale to weigh all solid foods?

Actually I could not tell if people were seeing my posts or not first and then I seen that they were they kept asking me if have been measuring and weighing my food I have told them yes I have been measuring and weighing my food and I know how to weigh my food and measure my food because I had to because I was of diabetic when I was pregnant with my last child not that that matters but I also took me a minute to answer them back because I'm not always on the Community page and I couldn't tell if they were seen my replies

Yet you still have not answered the units you're using when weighing your food. You were able to quote and respond to every aspect of the one post that told you what you wanted to hear but keep evading a question that's been asked multiple times even after quoting the poster.

Okay ive repeted this a few time now yes EVERYTHING I measure and weigh is in cups measuring spoon oz solid on food scale and liquids in measuring spoon and cups depending on the liquid cheese in oz and nuts in 1/4 cups

This response answers your own question -you're eating too many calories because you are not accurately figuring out how many calories are in your food. I'm 4 years into maintenance and I still use my food scale, set to grams, every single day. Things like nuts, seeds, cheese, oats, rice etc need to be weighed on a food scale because measuring cup/spoons are notoriously inaccurate.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    with peanut butter (and most condiments) i put the container on the scale, weigh it, take out what i want, weigh it again and lick the spoon when im done with it. Granted the licking depends on the condiment. . not big on licking mayo or butter.