Walking or riding in rain

Options
How do you make walking or riding in rainy weather more bearable or more fun. I personally don't like exercising in the rain. I can do it mostly when it's just drizzling out which don't mind me much. But when it's coming down fast it doesn't really motivate me. How do I get myself in a motivated mood to get out in the rain like that? Any suggestions will help.

Replies

• jenno369
    jenno369 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I have definitely done that! I love running in the rain, hard to be too hot and sweaty when it is raining. I sometimes listen to the Zombies, Run app, so running in the rain, while listening to a story about the zombie apocalypse is just perfect!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Fenders. Water resistant jackets, not waterproof ones.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I avoid rain if I can but there is a limit to how wet you can be. Once I'm wet it doesn't matter. On hot days the rain can be a nice respite.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kimmaltsev wrote: »
    How do you make walking or riding in rainy weather more bearable or more fun. I personally don't like exercising in the rain. I can do it mostly when it's just drizzling out which don't mind me much. But when it's coming down fast it doesn't really motivate me. How do I get myself in a motivated mood to get out in the rain like that? Any suggestions will help.
    Start with some good rain gear. Getting the soaked is not fun. Then think about the benefits. How good you feel afterwards.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Florida cyclist, and I love riding in the rain because I'm going to be soaked through at the end of the ride regardless, either with sweat or rainwater, and it's cooler in the rain.

On the mountain bike I have some fenders I clip on to help keep the mud off. Road bike, I have a set of blinky lights I turn on for visibility. I also wear glasses with clear lenses to keep the raindrops out of my eyes, though they do tend to fog up on the mountain bike. We don't have much use for jackets here, it only gets cold enough for them for about 3-4 weeks in January and February.

As far as motivation, think of Rule #5: Harden The *kitten* Up, and Rule #9: If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period. :grin: Really though, I just love to ride, and not going out in the rain means one less day I get to ride.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,957 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    kimmaltsev wrote: »
    Start with some good rain gear. Getting the soaked is not fun. Then think about the benefits. How good you feel afterwards.

Yep ... dress for it. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,957 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple rides (bicycle) in the rain which were awful, but out of all the riding I've done, that's a small percentage.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Florida cyclist, and I love riding in the rain because I'm going to be soaked through at the end of the ride regardless, either with sweat or rainwater, and it's cooler in the rain.

This is a conversation I had with my son a couple of days ago when we were planning a run. He said that it was going to rain, I just said that he should get his shoes on, rain doesn't matter as it's only water and we'd be getting home wet anyway even if it didn't rain. I prefer to run in rain as you said, because it's cooler.

I don't mind cycling or walking in the rain. I don't wear any special gear, I just get out there. I have tried to wear waterproof clothing but find that it makes me really sweaty so don't bother anymore. If its really cold I'll wear a fleece and maybe a hat for walking/running but other than that I don't worry about the weather too much. My only issue is my glasses (I'm short-sighted so need them when out and about) - the rain drops tend to cover them making it hard to see. I hate stopping when I'm cycling to wipe the specs.
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    As far as motivation, think of Rule #5: Harden The *kitten* Up, and Rule #9: If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period. :grin: Really though, I just love to ride, and not going out in the rain means one less day I get to ride.

Love these! Share your sentiments as well about cycling. I've had many occasions whereby I've got home soaked to the skin and freezing cold. Hasn't killed me and hasn't put me off either.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running in the rain as long as it's fairly warm. But there's nothing worse than when your socks and shoes get completely saturated.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Wool socks keep your feet feeling good even when you have to walk through a creek.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses and get annoyed if they get water on them, so wearing a cap to keep the rain out of my face makes a big difference to me. I'm thinking of getting a waterproof one, but for now I just use a normal baseball cap.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses and get annoyed if they get water on them, so wearing a cap to keep the rain out of my face makes a big difference to me. I'm thinking of getting a waterproof one, but for now I just use a normal baseball cap.

Yeah, I use a baseball cap when running/walking in the rain. Doesn't quite work the same with a cycling helmet though :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Before you go, put a little shampoo in your hair and some soap on your body. Then you can exercise and shower at the same time.

But seriously, the rain isn't going to do anything. And once you're fully drenched, it doesn't feel bad at all. I've had some of my best run times in the rain too! It made me move much faster.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yeah, I use a baseball cap when running/walking in the rain. Doesn't quite work the same with a cycling helmet though :)

I know. My helmet has a slight peak at the front, but it doesn't really do anything. I end up taking my glasses off if I cycle in the rain, which is annoying in its own way.

I need that 'impervius' charm from Harry Potter. Or a tiny pair of windscreen wipers.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I need that 'impervius' charm from Harry Potter. Or a tiny pair of windscreen wipers.

i bought this pair of ski gloves once off the 'one buck, get this stuff out of our inventory' table outside some store once. they were the BEST. they had this little exactly-that - a two-inch ridge of some kind of plastic on the outside of the right thumb.

a glasses squeegee. gaw, i loved those gloves even though they weren't waterproof.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I really dislike riding in rain and as enjoyment is a big part of my cycling I very rarely go out when it's certain to rain.

I also overheat very quickly in a rain jacket, tend to end up carrying it rather than wearing it!
    And if I don't dress for rain wet shoes/socks and gloves increase the wind chill enough to trigger my Raynaud's.

On one particularly annoying ride I got caught in a cloudburst, lost all feeling in feet and hands, got a puncture and couldn't repair it because my hands were dead and useless. Even using a phone to call for a pickup was problematic.

If it's raining then that's time for me to train indoors.